• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Downrigger install

marcham

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So I've got this crazy idea that I'm going to use my ar195 for salmon fishing in the Pacific NW this summer.

Has anyone found a decent way to install a downrigger either behind or attached to the tower?

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would couple this with a rod holder.....https://www.westmarine.com/buy/scotty--9-gimbal-mount--1181403?recordNum=9

FSH 210 Sport

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I've got this crazy idea that I'm going to use my ar195 for salmon fishing in the Pacific NW this summer.

Has anyone found a decent way to install a downrigger either behind or attached to the tower?
I get where you’re coming from wanting to mount a down rigger to the tower... I think a couple of well placed rod holders will work great for you. I’ve been researching the best way to set up two down riggers on my boat.

2-Cannon Unitrol 10’s (these have an integrated rod holder on them)
2-12” Gimbal mounts that fit in 30° rod holders.
2-Retro-ease weight retrievers

I like the unitrol 10 model as it has an extendable boom 24-53” to get the spread out to 18’ which leaves plenty of room to run 4 more poles out of the other rod holders.

I don‘t know how far down you need to get your bait...these unitrol 10’s come with 250’ of cable. I’ve read where some guys have just gone with 100# test braid to get more line in the drum.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

John Mcpartland

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so I took an old cutting board about 3/8in thick and cut it in half. Then I sandwiched my wakeboard/wakesurf forks with them using a screw type mount down rigger.Screenshot_20210217-145411_Samsung Internet.jpg

like this one

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@FSH 210 Sport I was looking at something similiar. Wondering if something like this

Cannon Mounting Systems (factoryoutletstore.com)

That I can just drop in these which I already have 4 of mounted to my tower, just lower them, then the Cannon Unitrol 10

Amazon.com: Amarine Made (2X) Stainless Tournament Style Clamp on Fishing Rod Holder for Rails 1-1/4" to 2": Sports & Outdoors

@Julian how strong do you think those aftermarket rod holders are? Can they take the stress of a downrigger?
They are pretty solid....I'd use them for a down rigger. We use them doing deep drop fishing in Bimini with 12lb weights and power reels...no issue whatsoever.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian I was reading some reviews on them before I purchased. Some mention about them rusting, etc. Of course that may not be the case. Have you seen any rust?

marcham

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a tendency to make things more complicated.... it's a hobby of mine! I like the idea of the rod holders that Julian installed on the gunwhale aft of the tower.

I'm thinking of actually mounting the downrigger directly to the hull in the same spot but the surface is not flat or level.

Full disclosure I have a 3D printer.... I need to show my wife it has a useful purpose ;)

If I can figure out how to 3D scan that portion of the hull I can then use that in Fusion 360 and 3D print a flat and level extension to the deck surface....which would be the mounting surface for the swivel which then attaches to the downrigger.....

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are iPhone Apps and Android Apps, heard some work decent. Scan for 3d save as proper format then print.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I was reading some reviews on them before I purchased. Some mention about them rusting, etc. Of course that may not be the case. Have you seen any rust?
My Yamaha OEM table mount has rusted....my rod holders haven't (yet).