• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Downrigger install

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So I've got this crazy idea that I'm going to use my ar195 for salmon fishing in the Pacific NW this summer.

Has anyone found a decent way to install a downrigger either behind or attached to the tower?

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
I would couple this with a rod holder.....https://www.westmarine.com/buy/scotty--9-gimbal-mount--1181403?recordNum=9

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I've got this crazy idea that I'm going to use my ar195 for salmon fishing in the Pacific NW this summer.

Has anyone found a decent way to install a downrigger either behind or attached to the tower?
I get where you’re coming from wanting to mount a down rigger to the tower... I think a couple of well placed rod holders will work great for you. I’ve been researching the best way to set up two down riggers on my boat.

2-Cannon Unitrol 10’s (these have an integrated rod holder on them)
2-12” Gimbal mounts that fit in 30° rod holders.
2-Retro-ease weight retrievers

I like the unitrol 10 model as it has an extendable boom 24-53” to get the spread out to 18’ which leaves plenty of room to run 4 more poles out of the other rod holders.

I don‘t know how far down you need to get your bait...these unitrol 10’s come with 250’ of cable. I’ve read where some guys have just gone with 100# test braid to get more line in the drum.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so I took an old cutting board about 3/8in thick and cut it in half. Then I sandwiched my wakeboard/wakesurf forks with them using a screw type mount down rigger.Screenshot_20210217-145411_Samsung Internet.jpg

like this one

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@FSH 210 Sport I was looking at something similiar. Wondering if something like this

Cannon Mounting Systems (factoryoutletstore.com)

That I can just drop in these which I already have 4 of mounted to my tower, just lower them, then the Cannon Unitrol 10

Amazon.com: Amarine Made (2X) Stainless Tournament Style Clamp on Fishing Rod Holder for Rails 1-1/4" to 2": Sports & Outdoors

@Julian how strong do you think those aftermarket rod holders are? Can they take the stress of a downrigger?
They are pretty solid....I'd use them for a down rigger. We use them doing deep drop fishing in Bimini with 12lb weights and power reels...no issue whatsoever.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian I was reading some reviews on them before I purchased. Some mention about them rusting, etc. Of course that may not be the case. Have you seen any rust?

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have a tendency to make things more complicated.... it's a hobby of mine! I like the idea of the rod holders that Julian installed on the gunwhale aft of the tower.

I'm thinking of actually mounting the downrigger directly to the hull in the same spot but the surface is not flat or level.

Full disclosure I have a 3D printer.... I need to show my wife it has a useful purpose ;)

If I can figure out how to 3D scan that portion of the hull I can then use that in Fusion 360 and 3D print a flat and level extension to the deck surface....which would be the mounting surface for the swivel which then attaches to the downrigger.....

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are iPhone Apps and Android Apps, heard some work decent. Scan for 3d save as proper format then print.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I was reading some reviews on them before I purchased. Some mention about them rusting, etc. Of course that may not be the case. Have you seen any rust?
My Yamaha OEM table mount has rusted....my rod holders haven't (yet).

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ready to go...

For anyone who may be interested, cannon has a promo going right now, they have a rebate on their down riggers. The Unitrol 10’s are $25 each with a limit of 4 rebates. The high end electric ones have a $100 rebate.

385A01FA-BDA2-43CC-BB17-9191305C5319.jpeg

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just curious as I don’t fish much, what does a down-rigger do that a rod holder does not?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@FSH 210 Sport , thanks for posting the video.

Can’t a fisherman accomplish almost the same thing by placing a heavy weight on the fishing line?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@FSH 210 Sport , thanks for posting the video.

Can’t a fisherman accomplish almost the same thing by placing a heavy weight on the fishing line?
Kind of but, if you run a lot of weight that has it’s own challenges.

With enough weight on the line to take it down that far while you are trolling it, well, it adds a lot of weight on the line and makes catching fish difficult because you have a lot of weight on the line. There is a significant loss of sensitivity with a lot of weight on the line as well.

If you run out a lot of line to get a deeper depth when you make turns they have to be very wide to keep from having the lure stall out and sink possibly getting snagged on the bottom, and if you have multiple lines out they can cross and get tangled. This is the method I use the most, sometimes I’ll have 100 yards of line out to get the lures down where I want them, as well as setting up the spread so the lines don’t tangle. But it is still a bit of trial and error as I don’t really know how deep my lure is. Also, the faster you troll the more shallow your lure is in the water, some days and or fish species like faster trolling speeds than others.

Even using those two methods you still don’t know exactly how deep your bait is.

With a down rigger, when you mark the fish-how deep they are-with your sonar you can now drop your bait right into where they are because there is a line counter built into the down rigger. Fish, especially predators, hang out where their food is so you want to present your bait right in that area accurately to have the best chances of catching the fish you are after. My goal with this system is to go after the bigger fish that hang out close to the bottom, maybe 5-10‘ off the bottom of a 200’ deep lake. I plan on using this system for trolling and drift fishing with live bait.

As I mentioned above about trolling speeds, if you are going after fish that like that higher speed, there is a chart that comes with the down riggers that shows how far down the ball is at a given speed. So, you can either let out a few more feet of line on the down rigger, or switch to a heavier ball.

I have caught plenty of trout, pike, and even blue gill trolling the way my Dad taught me, but I want to get after those bigger fish down deep.

Does that make sense?

Cabin2010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Ready to go...

For anyone who may be interested, cannon has a promo going right now, they have a rebate on their down riggers. The Unitrol 10’s are $25 each with a limit of 4 rebates. The high end electric ones have a $100 rebate.

View attachment 143845
Those look like 15 Degree gimbal mounts, if so, where did you find them, having a hell of a time locating some for my cannons.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Those look like 15 Degree gimbal mounts, if so, where did you find them, having a hell of a time locating some for my cannons.
Here you go! This is where I bought mine from. The 12” work great!

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When (I am thinking positive) I get delivery of my FSH 255 I am going to mount 2 Scotty electric downriggers on the gunwales. I have fished with downriggers for the last 40 years, most of the time at Lake Powell, or Flaming Gorge. Now that I live in Porter, TX I am looking forward to some new fishing opportunities both salt and fresh water. Downriggers are the only way to go if you want to get the bait/lures right where you want it. Not only do the downriggers have line counters but you can see the weight on the fish finder so you can make sure you are right where you need to be, just above where the fish are lurking.