• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drilled the first hole in my boat today! <installed USB charger port and fuse block>

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Julian Ya sorry no pic., at the moment, It would have said it all without all those words.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I finally added a 2 port USB charger to my side of the boat.

I cut a little more than i needed to on part of the dash. I'll fix that though; no one will sew it but me.
How did you wire the plug?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jmland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I went with a blue sea 6 circuit with negative bus and cover just so I dont have to mess with it again!
Hi I have a question. I need to add a USB connection on the port side of my boat also. There is a light inside the bathroom of my boat that already has 12 volt can't splice into that for power source to USB USB draws little power as it is and it still will be fused Thank You

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi I have a question. I need to add a USB connection on the port side of my boat also. There is a light inside the bathroom of my boat that already has 12 volt can't splice into that for power source to USB USB draws little power as it is and it still will be fused Thank You
Depends on how confident you are that the circuit in question is wired to handle the additional load. My dual USB port I added is 4.2 amps (2.1 X 2) - which is not a light load, but nothing like an inflator. I prefer to add my own panel with fuses so I know its wired right, and I HATE splicing wires. To me this is easier and safer.

Jmland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Depends on how confident you are that the circuit in question is wired to handle the additional load. My dual USB port I added is 4.2 amps (2.1 X 2) - which is not a light load, but nothing like an inflator. I prefer to add my own panel with fuses so I know its wired right, and I HATE splicing wires. To me this is easier and safer.
Thank You

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
4.2 amps at 5V.......should be less than half that at 12V, give or take the efficiency of the converter.

dels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Julian , I am headed in that direction and this is my very first electrical mod on 12v. I have done a lot of electrical work at home and understand current, fuses and load, but I was wondering where you would tap the power for a fuse box? I know the safest bet would be to run a fresh cable run with a big amp fuse (60-100a) from the battery itself, but it feels a little overkill for which should not be more than a few lights, a VHF and a phone charger ultimately.

Also, between the charplotter, minn kota and the OLAS Guardian, the installers used the two ACC switches that were available on the boat... Any recommendation on how to proceed for that? I believe I will ultimately have to replace the switch panel, but at the moment I only want to add the phone charger, do you think it would be safe to add it on the same switch as the OLAS Guardian if I add an inline fuse?

Thanks for the help!

(Also, the pictures from this awesome post are now lost in time, I would have liked to see them :) )

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dels I would run the fresh run and get it out of the way. It is not bad. Run both positive and negative. If you use the duplex, it fishes through the boat clean and easily. Then you have room to grow rather than take apart. At least this is what I did a few weeks ago. Have everything labeled and clean. Make sure your Fuse Block has a negative terminal. You could also move some of your existing accessories if you like to it. For mine I put in a 60 amp circuit breaker back by the battery, about a foot away. Than ran everything under the helm. Different boat, same principle.

ANCOR Flat Duplex Wire by the Foot | West Marine

Amazon.com: YMHTD 60A Reset Fuse 20-150AMP Inline Circuit Breaker Reset Fuse Holder for Car Audio Marine Boat Inverter Replace Fuses 12V-24V DC Breaker Switch Overload Protection Fuse: Automotive

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 6 Circuit Blade Fuse Block With Negative Bus 100 Amp Max Per Block 30 Per Circuit: Automotive

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@dels I fixed the broken images (we lost 2 days of images a while ago and I keep finding and replacing them!)

I would do what HangOutdoors said....run a wire now and then you are ready when you want to add something else.

You could tap in, I'm just not a fan of doubling up on them.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length