• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Dual-battery, onboard smart charger

Slamons

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

I’m sure this has been covered ad nauseam but here it goes. In two weeks I take my 2021 AR 210 in for a JL audio stereo system install (4-M6 speaker @ 6.5 , 2-M3 10” subs and either one or two amps, can’t remember the size etc). I just replaced my sole battery with a deep cycle, marine interstate offering from Costco. My stereo guy has instructed me pick up a good deep cycle battery to use as a house battery. He already has the dual perko switch on hand etc. Now to my question… Which budget smart charger should I pick-up? I initially had NOCO genius one in my cart but I read a few threads that basically said it had to be modified to properly charge both batteries. I’ve listed below, three comparably priced budget units. Which one is best or does anyone have any experience with these. Just some context for my charging situation, it will be plugged in over night, either at my house when we stay local or plugged in when docked at our river house.

Thanks in advance!

NOCO Genius GEN5X2, 2-Bank, 10A (5A/Bank) Smart Marine Battery Charger, 12V Waterproof Onboard Boat Charger, Battery Maintainer and Desulfator for AGM, Lithium (LiFePO4) and Deep-Cycle Batteries https://a.co/d/00FbkXM

Guest 2711A Guest On-Board Battery Charger 10A / 12V, 2 Bank, 120V Input Amazon.com

ProMariner 44008 ProSport HD Waterproof Marine Battery Charger, 8 Amp, 2 Bank https://a.co/d/eDQxre6

Unless you disconnect the battery's to charge them you will have to do the mod to get the benefits of any smart charging. The mod is super easy I put in a NOCO 3x10 (30 AMP) incase I decide to add a 3rd battery. I sit at the sand bar all day blasting music blowing up floats so that may be in my future.

Attachments

• 97057E66-8EFD-43F2-879E-C852390D52BD.jpeg
    97057E66-8EFD-43F2-879E-C852390D52BD.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 146
Go with the NOCO. I have a 4 bank 4 x 40. It is fantastic. Also, Look into an AGM TPPL Battery for your house. They are fantastic. Search the forums here with AGM TPPL and you will have some good reading.

Unless you disconnect the battery's to charge them you will have to do the mod to get the benefits of any smart charging. The mod is super easy I put in a NOCO 3x10 (30 AMP) incase I decide to add a 3rd battery. I sit at the sand bar all day blasting music blowing up floats so that may be in my future.
I don’t think he has the BEP marine battery switch with dvsr like you have. Sounds like he will just have two manual switches??

Hey everyone,

I’m sure this has been covered ad nauseam but here it goes. In two weeks I take my 2021 AR 210 in for a JL audio stereo system install (4-M6 speaker @ 6.5 , 2-M3 10” subs and either one or two amps, can’t remember the size etc). I just replaced my sole battery with a deep cycle, marine interstate offering from Costco. My stereo guy has instructed me pick up a good deep cycle battery to use as a house battery. He already has the dual perko switch on hand etc. Now to my question… Which budget smart charger should I pick-up? I initially had NOCO genius one in my cart but I read a few threads that basically said it had to be modified to properly charge both batteries. I’ve listed below, three comparably priced budget units. Which one is best or does anyone have any experience with these. Just some context for my charging situation, it will be plugged in over night, either at my house when we stay local or plugged in when docked at our river house.

Thanks in advance!

NOCO Genius GEN5X2, 2-Bank, 10A (5A/Bank) Smart Marine Battery Charger, 12V Waterproof Onboard Boat Charger, Battery Maintainer and Desulfator for AGM, Lithium (LiFePO4) and Deep-Cycle Batteries Amazon.com

Guest 2711A Guest On-Board Battery Charger 10A / 12V, 2 Bank, 120V Input Amazon.com

ProMariner 44008 ProSport HD Waterproof Marine Battery Charger, 8 Amp, 2 Bank Amazon.com
Fwiw,
You should consider a BEP marine battery switch with a dvsr, like the one in Mrbubbagumps picture.

These switches are standard on boats with two batteries. There is a switch for the start battery and one for the house, and there is an automatic charge relay / dvsr that will parallel the batteries when the engine is running, then when the engines are off the dvsr will break parallel between the start and house to keep the start battery fresh and happy. This way you turn the battery switches on in the morning and off when you’re done for the day.

Perfect, that looks simple enough. Will I still need to do the “mod” to the NOCO with this switch?

QUOTE="HangOutdoors, post: 644332, member: 21206"]
Install the Blue Seas Switch with the ACR. Many installs here on the forum.

Blue Sea Systems 7650 Add-A-Battery Kit (amazon.com)

Here is mine, Same boat as you. I put in fuse blocks and a lot of extra items that I needed. You can just start by installing the Switch and ACR, then get yourself a 2 Bank NOCO x 10 and you will be dialed in. In this thread you will see other members installs with the same kit.

[/QUOTE]

Perfect, that looks simple enough. Will I still need to do the “mod” to the NOCO with this switch?

QUOTE="HangOutdoors, post: 644332, member: 21206"]
Install the Blue Seas Switch with the ACR. Many installs here on the forum.

Blue Sea Systems 7650 Add-A-Battery Kit (amazon.com)

Here is mine, Same boat as you. I put in fuse blocks and a lot of extra items that I needed. You can just start by installing the Switch and ACR, then get yourself a 2 Bank NOCO x 10 and you will be dialed in. In this thread you will see other members installs with the same kit.

[/QUOTE]

What mod are you talking about? If you only plan on having two batteries just get a two bank and wire it directly to each battery, one bank each.. If you think you may be adding a third battery down the road, get a 3 bank one for future expandability. When the switch is off you isolate the batteries from each other and the system. Get the Blue Seas Kit with the ACR. I can walk you through it.

What mod are you talking about? If you only plan on having two batteries just get a two bank and wire it directly to each battery, one bank each.. If you think you may be adding a third battery down the road, get a 3 bank one for future expandability. When the switch is off you isolate the batteries from each other and the system. Get the Blue Seas Kit with the ACR. I can walk you through it.
[/QUOTE]

I had read in other threads that the NOCO charger has to be modified but that must be with the DVSR set up. I’ll order the set up you recommended, from a price and simplicity standpoint it seems to check the boxes. Now I just need to find a battery.

I use an AGM TPPL Northstar and it is a tank of a battery. There are many good ones around. You want a group 24 to fit in your battery area. I wasn't going to put two additional house batteries in so I got a real nice one. Recommend Marine AGM Deep Cycle

Just added 2nd "house" battery w/switch, plus NOCO and inlet to my buddies 2006 SX210.

Also added Icom M330G VHF, w/detachable 4' antenna.

Attachments

• 20230512_123433.jpg
    20230512_123433.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

I know this post is a few months old now, but I am looking at setting up a similar system and have actually ordered the BEP hardware. I've got a 2022 AR195 and the resources regarding the electrical schematics are hard to find. Do I need to purchase the service manual to get the wiring drawings? I'm sure this topic has been discussed over and over on here. I'll keep digging through the threads and see what I can find.

I know this post is a few months old now, but I am looking at setting up a similar system and have actually ordered the BEP hardware. I've got a 2022 AR195 and the resources regarding the electrical schematics are hard to find. Do I need to purchase the service manual to get the wiring drawings? I'm sure this topic has been discussed over and over on here. I'll keep digging through the threads and see what I can find.

Which schematics do you need? Do you need the BEP marine switch drawings or drawings specific to your boat?

Having the service manual is a great asset.

Here’s this one to get you started.

0648FCC4-FA93-4499-BD8A-5538100B0DE6.jpeg

Here’s this one to get you started.

View attachment 202467

Thank you for the info. I haven’t really started digging into the wiring in the boat, so I’m not sure how well it’s labeled or how hard it will be to identify the wires. I’ll really in the process of gathering parts and information. I plan on buying the service manual as I’m sure it’s good to have on hand. Thanks again.

Back