• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Due for 10 hour maintenance, couple questions about that and cleaning methods

BDoss

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all, I have finally reached 10 hours on our SX210. I plan on doing all required maintenance myself but want to make sure I do it right, as well as wanting to make sure I'm cleaning everything correctly. The only 2 things that I see that need to be done other than checking items is an oil change and greasing the bearings. I'm going to use yamalube oil and I've already got an oil extraction tool from my previous boats. On the TR1s, is the best way to do an oil change from the yellow fill cap on the motor or is there another method of doing it? Secondly, the manual says to add an ounce of grease to the bearings, I have a 9oz grease gun so no real way of getting an exact amount in there. Has anyone maybe counted a certain number of pumps to put in and it will be good? Or maybe a different method to get it close? Just want to be sure I dont overfill.

Next is cleaning certain areas on the boat. We boat 99% of the time in saltwater so after each outing I rinse the motors with salt away and rinse/wash the exterior and interior then dry. I sprayed T9 on both motors and drives as well. I see a lot of people having issues with clamps rusting and breaking, especially under the transom platform. Would it be smart to pop the cover between the clean out ports off and spray all those hoses and what not down under the swim platform as well? Or could that just cause more harm? Prob seems like a self explanatory question that answers itself but I know sometimes too much water in certain areas isnt always a good thing. Basically just wanting to make sure that I take the best care of it as I can as my family and I absolutely love this boat, it's by far our favorite out of the ones weve owned and dont forsee leaving yamaha boats.

In addition is there anything else I should be looking for during the 10 hour service and with the general cleaning process? Sorry for the long winded post but figured one thread would be better than having 2 different ones. Thanks for any help in advance!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
On the grease question, it used to be you'd feel the hose that they connected for pressure. I've not heard a good solution to this, other than measure your pumps output and don't inject more than the manuals recommended amount.

Clamps....I've not heard of people opening up the hatch to spray in the bilge. Can't hurt anything in there. Many people replace the clamps with better SS ones once they break.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought my boat in Key Largo, so obviously all salt water as well. I was actually confused when looking at the pictures thinking there was a lot of rust in the engine bay... Turns out that when they service them down there, they rub grease on the oil filters and clamps and anything else reachable and "rustable". I followed suit when I serviced mine after I got it home. as far as the grease went, I just put like 3 or 4 pumps in it and called it a day, I don't really have any other advice other than that on it. lol

BDoss

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gotcha. Thanks for the replies fellas! I've seen people say anywhere from 3 pumps to 40 pumps so it was a bit confusing lol. I think what I'll do is put a cup on a scale and count how many pumps it takes to get 1/2 an ounce and do the math from there. I do plan on this winter replacing all the clamps with stainless ones so I should be good for some years to come on those. Again, thanks for the help!

BDoss

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One more question. I'm seeing a lot of mixed posts about where to add the oil on the tr-1. I've seen some say to put it all in the yellow cap, some say all in the black cap and some say half in both. Does anyone know which method is the correct method? I'm going to drain it all out from the breather tube and both caps to get as much of the break in out as I can but want to be sure I put the new oil back in its correct location so I dont overfill anything. Thanks!

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I own a 2017 SX240 and the manual called for 33 - 35 cc of grease in the bearing housing. I also had no idea how to gauge that. I purchased a Pittsburgh Pro grease gun from Harbor Freight. Using a medicine cup my wife had, I squirted grease into it until it reached 30 ml. It was equivalent to 30 squeezes on the grease gun. So for me, 1 squirt equaled 1 cc.

What's the difference between a cubic centimeter (cc) and milliliter(mL)? These are the same measurement; there is no difference in volume. The primary difference is that milliliters are used for fluid amounts while cubic centimeters are used for solids. No matter what is being measured, 1cc always equals 1 mL.

HARY5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just pump the grease till you feel a slight change in pressure on the gun, then I add grease at every oil change.

HARY5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
also I just stick with Yamaha filters, the last time I tried a aftermarket oil filter it was dripping into the compartment and made a pretty big mess.