• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Dumb Cover Question <bow/cockpit vs mooring>

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have a question. And it will impress you as a pretty noob one, I am warning you:

What is the difference between a mooring cover and a cockpit/bow cover? Before you hasten to reply, I know that one is one-part and the other is two-parts. Got that. But why would I want one over the other? Is only one good for towing? Is there some particular use for one over the other?

I have my baby in a storage shed, usually stay on the home lake, so have never really worried about the cover much. But as I explore the possibility of a longer outing, I begin to wonder if I shouldn't be getting a cover.

TIA,

Tim,

You're correct, the Mooring/trailering cover is one piece and the cockpit/bow cover are two pieces. My observation is that people that trailer a bit and/or want a cover to, well, cover the entire boat for protection, use the mooring/trailering cover. I think that it's really preference. I have, and have always had, just the mooring cover as I trailer the boat a lot and it completely covers the entire boat.

I'm also in the northeast, so right now it's keeping the snow/rain off of the entire boat.

And to be even more specific, I have an aftermarket cover that I use all year-round that has a higher waterproof rating that the Yamaha. so it takes the brunt of the weather, and then I use my Yamaha mooring cover for trailering on longer road trips.

Many feel the cockpit/bow covers are easier to install/remove when the boat is kept in the water. They also require lots of snaps around the boat, which others don't like. I use the bow cover a fair amount and my mooring cover for trailering every outing. I don't have the cockpit cover anymore.

I have both and use both. I use the full mooring cover only to cover the boat when she's out of the water or for towing on long trips. Otherwise I use the bow and cockpit cover. I find the bow and cockpit cover much easier to put on when the boat is in the water/on the lift. Also, when we were using our camper cover, we needed a bow cover as part of that combination. Lastly, if you go out when it might rain, covering the bow is nice to be able to do.

Another note/consideration is the size of the cockpit cover. The original Yamaha kit did not cover the seatback on the swim deck -which for me was a no-go. So if you go for one, make sure all the sea upholstery is covered.

Here is a shot of the boat on the airdock with bow and cockpit covers on.

image.jpg

edited original post title with <> clarification

I have both and use both. I use the full mooring cover only to cover the boat when she's out of the water or for towing on long trips. Otherwise I use the bow and cockpit cover. I find the bow and cockpit cover much easier to put on when the boat is in the water/on the lift. Also, when we were using our camper cover, we needed a bow cover as part of that combination. Lastly, if you go out when it might rain, covering the bow is nice to be able to do.

Another note/consideration is the size of the cockpit cover. The original Yamaha kit did not cover the seatback on the swim deck -which for me was a no-go. So if you go for one, make sure all the sea upholstery is covered.

Here is a shot of the boat on the airdock with bow and cockpit covers on.

View attachment 16310

edited original post title with <> clarification
@Julian: Barbie & I are so glad you wrote this and posted this photo. It answered a question we have wondered about for osme time. I felt those covers "might" answer our concerns but did not know for sure. Now we do. More $$$ out the door ......... LOL !

==> QUESTION: You wrote "The original Yamaha kit did not cover the seatback on the swim deck -which for me was a no-go. So if you go for one, make sure all the sea upholstery is covered."
So the question is WHERE did you get your "complete" cover ???

Many Thanks, however ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Perfect answers, everyone. Thanks for that. It looks like with my use profile, I just need one of the options; probably not both. And probably the full cover (though I do like the point about having the bow cover for rain).

And 2x on Mikey's question...

If you are looking at the official Yamaha covers, the cheapest place I found is Stadium Yamaha in Irving, TX. I order all of my parts and accessories through them as they are cheaper across the board for everything with the Yamaha brand. They even were cheaper on snowmobile parts which is quite funny as they never see snow!! Hope this helps.

==> QUESTION: You wrote "The original Yamaha kit did not cover the seatback on the swim deck -which for me was a no-go. So if you go for one, make sure all the sea upholstery is covered."
So the question is WHERE did you get your "complete" cover ???

I had it all (camper cover, bow and cockpit cover) all made at the same time (2007) by United Canvas in Antioch Illinois. They do all their work custom and do a fantastic job! I'm sure all bigger cities (and those by the water) all have custom canvas shops....(this is also linked in the camper cover thread in my signature and in the FAQ under popular modifications #21 - in case - like me - you think about this later and wonder...which damn thread was that in!)

@Julian & @MikeyL Yamaha's current cockpit covers for the 2010-2014 & 2015 cover the rear seat backs and seats on the 24', 21' & 19' models. They have the same coverage as @Julian cover does.

Last edited:
Thanks @Julian. Found the write-up. Nicely done. More new undiscovered (for me) "gems" of Jetboaters.net

@Topper232 - curious on what aftermarket cover you use and if it's just for outdoor storage on the trailer or if it also works well in the water.

@tdonoughue , about the cheapest way to get the benefit of both types of covers without full expense...mooring and trailering cover and just the bow cover of the bow and cockpit. It used to be sold separately, and a canvas shop can make that small cover for less than half of the bow/cockpit together. That way, you get the bow for cruising or rain and still have the bimini to help shield you inside and don't worry with the bow. I think the bow cover would be a great addition...especially if you have the camper canvas! Now the best would be a camper canvas for the bow too!

edited because in old age, you lose the ability to spell too apparently, lol.

Last edited:
"Cheapest"... Mel knows me so well...

LOL, no no! It is because I AM CHEAP! lol

I have owned a Yamaha brand bow and cockpit cover for 5 years now. They do have their advantages along with disadvantages. I would NOT recommend a Yamaha brand bow and cockpit cover unless you plan on having it modified from new or you plan on keeping it in a covered slip. Yamaha FAILED on their design of this. When installed while raining, you are GUARANTEED to get water in the bow. The water runs down the cockpit cover on the windshield and under the bow cover into the bow. Many a time, I have wanted to have it modified so with a flap sewn onto the cockpit cover attached by velcro to the bow cover when installed. (My previous bow and cockpit cover on my Searay was manufactured this way and worked well). To this date, I have not had this modification done since I do store it indoors. I do like the ease of installing the covers as they do not require any strapping to be in place. With a simple modification they could be a great cover.

Last edited:
@Topper232 - curious on what aftermarket cover you use and if it's just for outdoor storage on the trailer or if it also works well in the water.

Rob.......I bought an Eliteshield 1200 aftermarket semi-custom cover. After doing a little research, it appears to go under a new name....."Seal Skin™ 1200 Boat Cover"

They claim to be trailerable, but I do not use it for trailering due to all of the straps, but it is great for protecting the boat while sitting at my dead-end.

upload_2015-1-24_22-52-13.png

Awesome, thanks Tony.

I posted this on the old site, jsut moving it over for some of the new folks.

The long and short of it is that this year I kept my boat in a wet slip vs years past it was dry docked in a barn and launched as needed. Previous years it was a matter of covering it (if at all) to keep the dust out. This year I dealt with more water in the boat than under the boat. I have a mooring cover but could not use it as I couldn't get to the stern to fasten the last of it down. If it was not totally fastened down the water would pool and stretch the cover and make everything worse. Nothing better than getting back to your boat and having to expel 20+ gallons of water from the cover before removing it, only to find the inside drenched and starting to mildew.

I switched to the bow and cockpit covers as they could be easily installed on the dock but they brought their own set of issues. The area in front of the windshield on the 210 series does not have a lip and the water just rolls off the windshield and down inside the boat. Not great but better than the mooring cover.

So I talked to our local canvas guy and we came up with a plan to modify my existing cockpit cover (to save me money for this year) and make a new bow cover that would fix the short comings of the existing covers. So far I am VERY happy with the new system. It uses the same bow cover snaps I previously installed so I can still use the standard one to keep things a bit warmer on those cool days but now moves the new cover snap line to the top of the windshield to mitigate the water issue.

My long term plan is to have a new bimini top made that will accept my new sides (ala camper type top) and replace the currently modified cockpit cover (red) with a new grey one like the front.
The material is excellent quality and workmanship is superb. Final price is pending. As we finished up the cover I spoke to my canvas guy about making these available for others using my boat as the pattern. I think there is a plan in the works to offer a kit if there is interest.

Top down view bow cover only:

bow cover1.jpg

Top down view cockpit:
covers.jpg

cockpit cover1.jpg

Side view of bow cover:
bow cover side2.jpg

Back