• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dumb question... mounting batteries

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Heres the dumb question of the day.... how much room is there underneath the battery compartment in my 07 sx230? I was I investigating my boat and found neither battery is actually mounted, they're in plastic holders that are not screwed to the floo. I want to fix this for my upcoming install. So how much depth do I have down there for screws? Obviously I am paranoid about hitting something vital or going into the water. What's underneath it?

Thanks for the help.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you see the screws come out under the hull....you had less room than you thought!!!!! (Sorry could not resist)

Mine seems to be attached with some sort of rivets, but I won't be there again until next weekend. I'm sure someone else will give you better info!!!

Best of Luck!

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Glue a mounting board and screw the battery trays to the mounting board. Or just glue the trays in place.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2012 240 and mine has at least 0.5 inches.
@Bruce provably knows the answer to your question; he has his ratchet starpaped for th bimini crossings

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am trying to remember how long the screws I used were. I installed two battery boxes, cut the hooks off of ratchet straps and used stainless tie down points through the straps with likely 3/4” screws to hold them down. I also put screws through the supports under my refrigerator. The flat section is double hulled. The whole boat is.

If you use 3” deck screws it will make for a funny post followed by using epoxy and gelcoat to repair the mess.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Who has that infamous picture?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's exactly what i want to avoid, haha.

Thanks for the input. 1/2" should be plenty, may go even smaller for the amps. Or I may make them a little board for all the wiring too. Not sure yet.

MissScarlet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used half inch SS screws....no issue......as in nothing like this:
Newbie question -- I've never attached anything to my boat. Is there a need to pre-drill for these 1/2 inch screws?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Newbie question -- I've never attached anything to my boat. Is there a need to pre-drill for these 1/2 inch screws?
Predrill anything going into glass or gelcoat.

MissScarlet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Predrill anything going into glass or gelcoat.
THANKS! I was thinking that, but wanted to double check. I'll be installing a second battery, Blue Sea's "Add a battery" switch/ACR, a new stereo head unit, LEDs, and an amplified bazooka tube this weekend! Can't wait to get this thing on the water!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When installing this batteries... remember.. if u push the batteries close to the outside wall u have less room under them... closer to the inside is more room !