• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Easy way to fully lubricate reverse gate cables without removing them completely

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know what new feels like compared to what I have. I just couldn't get the oil to drain. Both throttles feel identical. I would say 1-2 lbs tension maybe. They move pretty easily individually. A little stiff together.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It must have done something bc now I have a little throttle drop. Oh well I'll figure out.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting information as always. I don't take my boat in salt water so I am not as concerned. I like the idea of the cable ties and will do that to my boat. I always wondered why those boots would move and thought it was odd. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas. They are always helpful.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Old thread, but same problem. One Cable is very hard to move. Tried to lube by forcing penetrating oil with air pressure from the pump side by attaching a hose around cable and pressurizing the whole contraption. After an hour I gave up, no luck. Cable moves, but barely.

On my old boat I would lubricate and stiffness would return quickly, so I added a loom type rubber hose section that expands and contracts with the cable, and covers the moving parts. I greased up and attached with zip ties. The whole exposed piece is covered and protected under the rubber baffle. So far the issue had not returned. Not sure if still try on this boat yet. Seems the baffled tube may need to be bigger. It's was a pain to source. I found it as a car door wire protector.

Replacing the cables tomorrow, trying to put in a gaffrig set I find on eBay at the same time, will see how it goes.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Beachbummer, replacing the cables will make a huge difference in the way your boat handles. I wish I had done it years ago.

Are you replacing the steering and shift cables? I replaced both and would do them at the same time. I thought my shift cables were ok but found they were rusted through the outer casing when I removed them. I can shift with one finger now.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Steering is actually perfect and smooth, so I won't be touching those. Reverse only, but I plan to do both.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Steering is actually perfect and smooth, so I won't be touching those. Reverse only, but I plan to do both.
Steering will be much easier if change the cables and much more precise if you add bushings.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok. Steering is pretty good right now, but the bushings would certainly help. I'll be sure to check it out.

Any other tips on the cables? I've read some threads and it seems painful but doable. I have seen the warnings on the exposed fiberglass suggesting long sleeves for work in the rear bilge.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found it easy to change the cables but I have been in the bilge several times. You will want a helper.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to say my steering stiffened up after a month of replacing my cables. Not like before but definitely not like new. Shift cable still feels like new.

JetDriven

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The whole exposed piece is covered and protected under the rubber baffle. So far the issue had not returned. Not sure if still try on this boat yet. Seems the baffled tube may need to be bigger. It's was a pain to source. I found it as a car door wire protector.

Replacing the cables tomorrow, trying to put in a gaffrig set I find on eBay at the same time, will see how it goes.
Hey Beachbummber, did you find a rubber baffle for the Yamaha reverse gate cable? If so, send us a link! Thanks

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry no baffle search yet.

Used graffrig throttle levers beat my butt this weekend, but I claim the win on a partial battle.

New shift cables and eBay graffrig used throttle levers tested today.

Still some adjustment needed, but it works, mostly. The used assembly was missing friction springs and seats. And I assembled with Jerry rigged bolts in place of cable kit. A bit Frankenstein, but got it out today. Yesterday was all work.

Old cables were rusted horribly and we're super bound. No wonder oiling did not work. First time under the bilge tray. I have big hands, the round ports are designed for Japanese women. Too tight. Had a hard time with the hose clamps.

Also installed repair kit on clean out plugs, and adjusted recently installed cobra steering. Between cobra steering and better throttle control, and not being afraid to blow a shift cable, I actually had decent Control at low speeds. This is harder than my seadoo 18ft, need to practice more!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG-20161015-WA0007.jpeg Work in progress.....

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it a horrible idea to lubricate the reverse gate cables while on the water? I’m wondering if I can wrap a rag around the cable to catch the oil that flushes out. I’m on a lake and prefer not to pull the boat out and realizing now that my stiff shifting out of neutral isn’t normal

cjnapier

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well after reading more about the rubber boots on the cable arm I decided it would be ok to do this on the water. I didn’t see any sludge come out but I used a tire valve and bike pump with a 3/8 ID hose and it definitely helped force the oil down and I could see the air coming out the cable end as I moved the reverse gate up and down to help move the oil through. Seems to have worked. I would say it was at about 15-20 lb pressure to shift out of neutral (not fun) and is now at about 5-10. Not sure how fluid it is supposed to be but I imagine some resistance is normal. I used royal purple 75w as it’s what I had on hand. 04 AR230