• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electrical short help

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Had a short. Left my son alone in boat he hit start button and melted hot wire from battery to solonoid across to starter hot wire into the ground on starter. All of that melted. Any ideas on the cause or damage to the electrical system beyond starter and solonoid.

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something I’ve learned on this forum that will get you responses, provide the Year, Make, Model. Whether you are running any aftermarket equipment or if stock OEM setup. Explain the issue: (which you’ve done), explain what you’ve already tried, and any other information that will be helpful: pictures of damage, info about where you were, lake, salt water, on trailer etc.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a great point, the starter may have shorted internally. With all power off and Main switch off, maybe check continuity between red wire spot to starter and ground. If the is no resistance the starter may be shot and shorted.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Its a cheapo amazon. Im mainly worried about if the juice could have travelled into the ignition system. Yikes

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What a cheapo? Starter? Solenoid? Button?

Not many melted wires on this board, you owe us a picture :) (only kidding a little bit)

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's a great point, the starter may have shorted internally. With all power off and Jason switch off, maybe check continuity between red wire spot to starter and ground. If the is no resistance the starter may be shot and shorted.
Its shot now. Its crispy. That boy hammered it lol. I know i need new wires starter and solonoid. I just hope i dont need stator paks etc etc.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What a cheapo? Starter? Solenoid? Button?

Not many melted wires on this board, you owe us a picture :) (only kidding a little bit)
Amazon 100 dollar. Its 175 sportjet. I was ohmtesting the stator inspecting it. Put a new rectifier on it soldered some connections then hooked back up and solonoid was buzzin on start. Boy 6 year old. In there pretending to drive and stuff. I already took to mechanic i gave up. Im pretty sure i hooked everything up right. When i went in house he hammered the start button and she went crispy

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Amazon 100 dollar. Its 175 sportjet. I was ohmtesting the stator inspecting it. Put a new rectifier on it soldered some connections then hooked back up and solonoid was buzzin on start. Boy 6 year old. In there pretending to drive and stuff. I already took to mechanic i gave up. Im pretty sure i hooked everything up right. When i went in house he hammered the start button and she went crispy
Starter was cheapo

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In theory the current path for the short is separate, hopefully only the parts you listed. a big breaker might have saved you, but most boats don't come with one. Good item for winter list.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow! Thanks for that!

Should buff right out.

I see the starter is in the extended position and engaged to the plate. The incoming big red wire looks a little suspect too, but hopefully not terrible to replace/repair.

Best of Luck, keep us posted!

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yea i guess when my boy hammered it. It popped up after he put enough juice to it. Lol

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow! Thanks for that!

Should buff right out.

I see the starter is in the extended position and engaged to the plate. The incoming big red wire looks a little suspect too, but hopefully not terrible to replace/repair.

Best of Luck, keep us posted!
Got her runnin. Ran new wires. New starter. New solonoid. Put a new blower motor bunch of crimpin and solderin. So i got her goin for time being. Thanks for the help