• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Eliminate the safety spout on new gas cans

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you have tried to by a gas can lately, you'll see the crappy spout you have to deal with thanks to all the lawyers and lawsuits.

I had bought new spouts months ago for my new cans that had the crappy safety spout and just got around to switching them out last weekend. They work awesome. Made by ez-pour and available on amazon. They even come with the little breather cap since the new cans have that integrated in the spout.

You do have to drill the hole for the breather cap. I used a step bit and it drilled a perfect hole in seconds.

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ez-pour&rh=i:aps,k:ez-pour

I would recommend against the hi flo spout though, it is too big for a car gas tank, not sure about the boat but stick with the standard spout. Fit my blitz cans perfectly.

Now I don't have to worry what I'll do if my old style gas can has an issue and I can haul 2 cans to the boat at once now.

EDIT - DONT BUY THIS...SEE POST 20, THIS THING IS DANGEROUS.

Last edited:

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
awesome! Thanks!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
LOL...that's crazy! LMAO

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LOL...that's crazy! LMAO
what? that he filling up while going 30 mph or that he spent $35 on a plastic gas can?

I'll spill $70 worth of gas and still wouldn't buy a $35 gas can!

Seriously, I'm glad it works well, your happy with it and wish I could get one, I must have just become my father because I can't comprehend that,

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
what? that he filling up while going 30 mph or that he spent $35 on a plastic gas can?

I'll spill $70 worth of gas and still wouldn't buy a $35 gas can!

Seriously, I'm glad it works well, your happy with it and wish I could get one, I must have just become my father because I can't comprehend that,
lol....I find it crazy he is standing on the swim platform at 30mph fueling his boat....and by the looks with jackets, its a bit cold out....lol

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have been using the the push button no spill for the past few years and they work very well.
http://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1450-5-Gallon-Poly-Compliant/dp/B000W9JN4S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1414881281&sr=8-4&keywords=gas can push

They are a little expensive but I have spilled a lot less gas. Works great for lawnmowers

I even put ten gallons into the boat through a long hose while we were running 30 MPH last year on the river coming back from Peoria.

View attachment 14320
Ok, that is a little crazy...but I'm intrigued at the setup you have there with that hose. It looks like it would work great filling my boat hanging in the slip. I have to do it from inside the boat, no dock to walk on that side....as you can imagine, it's a little tough.

So you just added a piece of flexible hose on it?

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if we can buy that spout without the can....who makes the spout?

Gas can manufacturers don't all use the same thread size so be careful.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow, i have one can that I like, which is the old style. I have two of them with the new style, and didn't know I could convert! Purchasing now... this site spends so much money for me....
I use the cans because when gas is cheaper, I fill up a couple cans and put them in the truck to fill the boat up. This way I maximize the cheaper gas price.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I like the Amazon spout. I bought two of these cans *5 gallon) and the spouts just suck, at least for the boat. Trying to hold on to the can and push the nozzle in was hard and I would spill gas. I just took the spout apart and removed all that stuff. I used some black electrical tape to keep the sections together and so far it has worked pretty good. I tried swapping an old spout out and found they had different thread patterns. I only used this for the last little bit of gas in the can. I bought a $9 siphon that gets 95+% of the gas out with no problem and then I use my modified spout to finish it off. These new spouts are much more likely to have spills as people try to use them. Maybe they work good with lawnmowers. All my old ones work great.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Anyone use something larger than 5 gallons and pump the gas out? My understanding is that it's off road legal, but i wonder about having it in the truck while transporting it to home.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone use something larger than 5 gallons and pump the gas out? My understanding is that it's off road legal, but i wonder about having it in the truck while transporting it to home.
I used to use 3) 27 gallon fuel caddies to fill PWC's. I would load them into the truck empty and fill them at the gas station. Obviously I had to fill them while in the bed which is against the gas station safety rules. Also I beleive that there is a certain amount of gas that is legal to transport without permits and its below 25 gallons if I remember correctly. Anyhow, the fuel caddy was pretty easy to slide down the tailgate while standing in the bed. The caddies have manual hand crank pumps and fuel nozzles or you could use gravity if the tank was lower than the fuel level.

Here's the same caddy.
http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/28-gallon-evacuation-caddy-w-pneumatic-tires-2-way-pump-240-ev?CAWELAID=230005750000006553&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjwrNeiBRD3goG_1s-0_XMSJADuGQQcRGGvXwWuL1Oygo-lqBjIR7K-6_DjKSA0pmfQ_qFkKBoC_Xvw_wcB

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Dang, those are expensive though.
What I have is 3 5 gallon cans, and the boat is always in the garage, so I'll fill it up like that every time. Except that the safety spout is a PITA and seems to end up on the side of the boat instead of in it. Not acceptable!
Convert them over I guess would be the best for me right now. Not a problem really, just a nuisance.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry if I caused controversy. I personally like the product and will not buy another normal gas can if I have the choice. I was just letting people know it is available.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry if I caused controversy. I personally like the product and will not buy another normal gas can if I have the choice. I was just letting people know it is available.
Shoot, I don't think you caused any negative controversy at all. I like seeing all options in these posts and reading the pro's and con's of all....we all have our desired preferences.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I bought several of those spouts last summer and they worked awesome. They come with multiple thread choices and I think will fit most cans. I added about a 3 foot hose to each can and fill my boat from the dock very easily and very fast. These new cans with the crappy safety spouts pour about 5 gallons of gas in 10-15 minutes.. very agonizing.. now with the new replacement spouts and hoses the same 5 gallon cans pours in less than 2 minutes.

The funny thing about these spouts is that they come with a warning label that states they are not to be used on cans manufactured after 2009..OK, .I promise I won't..(wink wink...)

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have an old 6 gallon can. I can't find those anyway any more! The syphon works well for me and now I am going to get one of those spouts for the new cans. Good discussion.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you have tried to by a gas can lately, you'll see the crappy spout you have to deal with thanks to all the lawyers and lawsuits.

I had bought new spouts months ago for my new cans that had the crappy safety spout and just got around to switching them out last weekend. They work awesome. Made by ez-pour and available on amazon. They even come with the little breather cap since the new cans have that integrated in the spout.

You do have to drill the hole for the breather cap. I used a step bit and it drilled a perfect hole in seconds.

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ez-pour&rh=i:aps,k:ez-pour

I would recommend against the hi flo spout though, it is too big for a car gas tank, not sure about the boat but stick with the standard spout. Fit my blitz cans perfectly.

Now I don't have to worry what I'll do if my old style gas can has an issue and I can haul 2 cans to the boat at once now.
THIS WAS THE WORST ADVICE I'VE EVER GIVEN HERE. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try out the new spouts I bought. These things suck....I tried filling the boat with it. The spout fit in the tank fine, but it was so poorly attached to the base, it case out of the can and I lost fuel everywhere....(don't tell the EPA) Of course, I stopped immediately and realized how big of a POS this thing it. So to try and get the fuel into the boat, I decided to pour the fuel into the old can I have with a spout that works awesome. I put the new spout back together since it had just popped out and started pouring it into the old can. Because I has to bend the new flexible spout over to get the flow going into the old can, it started to pop out of the base again and started leaking fuel....of course I already had the end of the spout into the other can and when I paniced and pulled it out, it flung fuel into my face....UGH...Just missed my eye.

The bottom line is the flange on the black part of the spout that is held into the yellow base is way too small. It pops out very easy if you flex the neck at all near the base. BE CAREFUL. I threw mine away.