• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

End of season storage - full tank or meh?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hitting 75 today in MD - one last run. Do I fill it up on way home for winter storage with a full tank? or does it really matter? Also, is Stabil really necessary to slosh through the system on the last run when I use exclusively non eth gas? This was my practice on both ends but i it really necessary? Thanks

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Air in the tank means moisture in the tank. When the temperatures get cold, that moisture will separate out and become water in the fuel. When I was flying, we always tried to keep the airplanes full overnight due to this, but we would still get water in the fuel the next day if it was cold overnight. We had a way to drain this out for the airplanes, the boat, not so much.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Full tank of ethanol free fuel and some fuel stabilizer for you deep freeze/long storage peeps.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always filled her up. I didn't use stabilizer when I had ethanol free gas. Once we got our lake house I didn't use marina gas and added stabilizer every time. I also took her out in the winter at least two or three times. It can't hurt to add the stabilizer just to make sure you don't have any problems.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Someone on the other site posted pics of their fuel pump after a few years of not filling the tank when stored. The parts exposed to air were very rusty. That said, I always fill the tank, add stabil and run the engines to get the stabilized fuel into the engine not just the tank. It can be a pita though not expensive relatively but the cost of repairs and down time are a lot worse.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm another one that stores the tank full of non-ethanol gas with Stabil Marine in it. In fact, I add Stabil Marine to every tank of gas year round even though I always use non-ethanol gas. Extra piece of mind and protection and a 1 gallon jug of Stabil Marine is < $60 on Amazon (treats 1,280 gallons of gas!).

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Full tank but make sure to either run the engines a bit or not too full because one year I filled up too much in cold temp and we had some warm days in the spring before I could get it out of the garage and it expanded and ran down the side of the boat.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Full Tank fuel (E10 or E-free), treated as appropriate. I treat with Stabil Marine 360.

kjr6306

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hitting 75 today in MD - one last run. Do I fill it up on way home for winter storage with a full tank? or does it really matter? Also, is Stabil really necessary to slosh through the system on the last run when I use exclusively non eth gas? This was my practice on both ends but i it really necessary? Thanks
Add gas stabilizer.
Fill tank.
Run new gas through system.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well i dont much fret about long term storage... as i run my boat nearly every day all year round... this week I am out of the water for the hurricane so no boating yesterday today or tomorrow... back on the water Friday I did flush the engines Monday night with starbright salt-no which I do if i think ill be setting dry for more than a couple days... other wise its just a fresh water flush... I run 89 pump gas with stabilizer I put in any where from 5-15 gallons a day depending on how hard I use the boat... hell I've only ever used the trailer once to bring the boat home 6 years ago...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've forgotten to fill it many times over the years for winter storage and never had an issue with water or rust/corrosion. I add stabilizer to the tank and run it through the engines for storage, but I did forget one year to run the engines and only the tank was treated, yet it still started and ran fine in the spring without stabilizer in the fuel injection lines. I think the fuel injected engines don't really need it as the lines are sealed so the fuel stays fresh whereas a carb vents the fuel float bowls and the fuel gets stale quickly. But it's not a big hassle to add it and run some through so I try to do that each fall for storage.

Yamaha recommends adding Ring Free and Conditioner with every tank but I think that's just to sell unnecessary additives which cost pennies to make but take dollars out of your pocket.
🤪

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took it out, 84 degrees in November in Maryland. Unbelievable, and back to 30 the next day. Filled tank, ran for maybe an hour then on way back to the dock added the stabil so it could course through the system on the way back. Probably about 5 gallons light, but close enough to filled for me. 4th time out this season! That's alot now that the kiddies have flown the coop! Thanks for the tips!

Screenshot_20221107-140900_Snapchat.jpgScreenshot_20221108-204357_Instagram.jpg20221107_142026.jpg

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I just moved my boat to a storage in a much colder climate. We don’t have ethanol free fuel here in Ca (not that I can find) , so I filled it and added fuel stabilizer. 1 oz per gallon. Money in the bank for next seasons first run.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hate you.
:D
Up here in Canaduh it's currently freezing (32f/0c)...ugh.
grew up in the Elmira-Corning area... it was 87 here today at my house the water is 81

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Fuel Med Rx They recommend 1 oz per 3 gallons during use, and 1 oz per gallon for storage. Works out pretty close. 1 16oz bottle when I fill up, 3 bottles when I fill up for storage. I also mix in Yamaha ring free once in awhile.