• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine hatch stuck and will not open

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hehe, first problem of the year. I just took the wrap off to start getting it ready for the season. Tried the hatch and I can hear and see it release a little but not all the way. I've pulled but don't want to pull too hard on this thing. Anything quick I can try before taking it to the dealer?

It's always been a bit "sticky" but I didn't really think too much about it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
push before pull? Did you try to put some weight on it before you try to open? Sometimes the reverse works...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also check the screws holding the hinges at the top. If the come lose, it will throw the hatch off kilter and it may not open. Not terribly likely, but worth a try before a dealer run.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Try sitting on it for several minutes (about as long as would take to drink a beer). I suspect your new boat has a hatch gasket that hasn't compressed much causing the latch to bind. After you compress the gasket for a beer or so try opening again. If that works let us know what beer you used.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I suspect your new boat has a hatch gasket that hasn't compressed much causing the latch to bind.
Or perhaps the sound proofing loosened up and got closed in the hatch? Either way the sit with a beer approach should work.

Thanks! good thought! Tried but no luck.
So you sat on it, and while sitting attempted to release the latch?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regardless, the beer will make everything better.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies! I did try the 'sit on it for a while' idea but no luck. Dragged it to the dealer and figured it out what happened... details below.

So after much effort that you already know, I gave up, not wanting to break anything or void any warranty claims, etc. Get to the dealer and tell the service guy "I am the guy that called about not being able to open his engine compartment". He smiles of course then came out to take a look at it. He tried a few things.. won't open. He gets a tech to come take a look, tech cannot get it open. Tech decides to try to disconnect the hatch from the latch by removing the two bolts on the front of the latch. They just turn freely. Much body contortion later he sees there is a nylon threaded nut behind it but there is no room to stick a wrench anything in there to hold it. By this time we are a half hour in. So we wiggle and jiggle and finagle more and end up snapping a piece of plastic off the backside of the latch. A bolt comes tumbling out of the small open crack. Hatch finally opens and 2 more bolts come tumbling out that were wedged between the hatch and the boat. I take a look at the bolts and know right away what they are. They are the 3 of the 4 allen head bolts that are for the collar of my board rack. I'm thinking "how in the hell did those get in there?". Now I know I put those bolts in the battery compartment since that is where I placed it when stripping the boat down for winter. I look for the board rack bolts, they are not there with the rack.

My best guess is that the tech that winterized the boat (I got two years free with the purchase), when he removed the batteries, took the stuff in the compartment out and maybe put the bolts in the U shaped "groove" that funnels water from the back and sides of the rear seats and drains down near the hatch. Somehow they got in there and rattled down to the lowest part which is the latch. One of them must have gotten stuck there interfering with it.

Replacement latch on order. For now the hatch is resting closed. I think I can bungee it. Cannot seem to find the 4th bolt and wondering where to get one.

Some days, I wonder if its just a matter of time before I end up on qualified captain.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So much for "free winterization" Was this the second year or the first one? Glad it's back open!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...but, did you get your beer?

Geez, folks leave out the most important parts of their stories...