• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine sound

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking for opinions. I got my boat with around 40+ hours from another board member. As per previous owner, It was used once in the keys and flushed with salt away. (I read his Key west thread before he decided to sell) anyway that's the history.

So I changed the oil, greased the pump zerk, and everything runs perfectly. My question is about the sound out of the water at idle when I'm flushing the engine. It sounds like a box of bolts bouncing around. I never had a jetski, never had a jetboat, and all the boats I've been on have been outboards. Take a listen, leave a comment. It may sound like wind buffeting, but thats the box of bolts sound.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm assuming that's at idle?
Sounds familiar... like an 1.8l Yamaha engine. I don't usually run mine with the hatch open (because it is so fucking loud!), but I have, on occasion, and that sounds about right.
If you rev it up, you better wear some muffs/ear protection.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can't make out the sound in the video. But the sound you are describing is normal. The boats and waverunners do it while flushing.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its just the "box of bolts", "Bolts in a blender sound" that concerned me. Unfortunately I have no jetboat friends close enough to listen and tell me its normal. Appreciate the comments.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea. It's unnerving when you first hear it. I looked all over for something hitting or rubbing. Found nothing.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, they sound a bit strange out of the water! You should hear my sons Waverunner XLT1200 (3 cylinder) out of the water! It's where they got the expression "Yamahammer"!

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
absolutely normal. I found that out from this group as well. The day my AR192 was delivered we put it in the water and I was sure there was something very wrong with it. I had the mechanic from the dealer on the phone and I was trying to put the phone in the engine compartment to let him hear it. I slowly accepted it, been a year now and runs like a top.
Definitely worse when flushing out of the water as well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
absolutely normal. I found that out from this group as well. The day my AR192 was delivered we put it in the water and I was sure there was something very wrong with it. I had the mechanic from the dealer on the phone and I was trying to put the phone in the engine compartment to let him hear it. I slowly accepted it, been a year now and runs like a top.
LOL. Pretty much describes my first reactions.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ditto.
It almost sounds like a rod bearing knock.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The sound you hear is the one way clutch on the flywheel that the starter engages to, Its normal, its louder for some reason on the supercharged boats.