• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine wouldn't start, but that was just the beginning....Found a safety issue.......

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, my family did a camping vacation this past weekend. My Father-In-law, Mother-in-law, my brother-in-law and his family and the 6 of us in my family spend Thursday til today down at Lake Shelbyville. Our boys slept in a tent, while my wife and I slept in my inlaw's 38 foot 5th wheel. My Brother in law and his family stayed in their 36 foot travel trailer. Was great weather the entire time and the water was 85 degrees!\

Friday evening, as we were getting ready to head in for the night, I had a hard time starting my Starboard engine. This is quite odd, since I have never, ever had to even crank the engine more than a second to get it started. I was puzzled. I opened the engine hatch to see if anything stuck out. Nothing. I closed the hatch and tried starting again and YES, it started. One of my boys asked if I fixed it. I said, no, but it's started and let's head back. I raced to the ramp and made it all the way to the no wake zone. As I decelerated both throttles, the port decelerated as expected, but the starboard did not. It would not decelerate so I turned the engine off to avoid disaster. I then proceed to limp to the ramp on one engine. While limping in, I started to go through all the possible causes in my head. I let my wife off to go get the trailer and while waiting I started to remove the engine cover and all the bolts for the spark plugs. I thought, surely it must be the plugs.

Getting the boat on the trailer was challenging but not too bad. while my wife was trailering us back to the adjacent camp ground, I tried to start the boat and it started right up, but over-rev'd as if I had pushed the throttles to WOT. I did that a few more times and it either did not start or started in an over-rev'd state. Why would the engine not start then start but over-rev'd? Then it dawned on me. Earlier, I was showing my son how the sound insulation was hanging. I was telling him that everyone was complaining about theirs and I was wondering what the big deal was since mine had not yet started to hang. I remembered showing him where it was hanging over the starboard throttle. I jumped up, looked at that area and sure enough, the insulation was between the throttle. So.....I was not able to start her because the throttle was stuck open. The times I got it started, it was reving high because the throttle was stuck in that position. I then, moved the insulation out of the way and started her up and she started up easily like she normally would. What a relieve.

As relieved as I was, I could not help to think of what a disaster it could of been if I did not have the presence of mind to shut the engine off when it would not decelerate. What a silly little safety issue. I will have my dealer submit this to Yamaha and request a safety recall. I however, went to Walmart and bought some spray adhesive. It worked like a champ and the rest of the trip was trouble free.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow. Sometimes it's the simplist things that can cause the biggest troubles. Glad that you got it figured out and nobody got hurt.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a good tip. My insulation is in place (after respraying it a time or two), but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow very much glad you had a level head in a bad situation. Seems 90% of problems are something "silly" like this.

Glad no one got hurt!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Holy smokes! Good job dissecting that so quickly. What a relief.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow....seems to be a lot of quality control issues lately.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This issue really should somehow make its way to the higher up's within Yamaha. It's been like this since last year when they did the new sound deadening "fixes" to the 2015 24' boats. At first it was just an inconvenience for owner's to have to buy some spray adhesive to fix the sagging material but now it seems it's a serious safety issue and should be resolved asap. Imagine if you didn't decelerate in time and rammed into a dock, or worse someone swimming in the water :eek:!! Most 2015 24' owner's aren't members of this forum so imagine when this is going to happen to someone who doesn't even know of the sagging insulation issue to being with... :oops:

Yamaha should do what's right and issue a recall on all 2015+ 24' boats but also fix this issue at the manufacturing plant so it goes away entirely. I know some of you get a chance to rub elbows with Yamaha when they start rolling out the new models in Georgia, or wherever the closed demo is this year, but you guys should really help drive home that this is a common issue with the insulation and we have at least one reported case of a owner having his throttle cables get stuck open.

Last edited:

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This issue really should somehow make its way to the higher up's within Yamaha. It's been like this since last year when they did the new sound deadening "fixes" to the 2015 24' boats. At first it was just an inconvenience for owner's to have to buy some spray adhesive to fix the sagging material but now it seems it's a serious safety issue and should be resolved asap. Imagine if you didn't decelerate in time and rammed into a dock, or worse someone swimming in the water. Most 2015 24' owner's aren't members of this forum so imagine when this is going to happen to someone who doesn't even know of the sagging insulation issue to being with.

Yamaha should do what's right and issue a recall on all 2015+ 24' boats but also fix this issue at the manufacturing plant so it goes away entirely. I know some of you get a chance to rub elbows with Yamaha when they start rolling out the new models in Georgia, or wherever the closed demo is this year, but you guys should really help drive home that this is a common issue with the insulation and we have at least one reported case of a owner having his throttle cables get stuck open.
The issue was submitted to my dealer who is submitting it immediately to Mother Yamaha. I should get feedback in a few days. My dealer was equally concerned.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I thought the safety issue was going to be you went to Shelbyville and didn't tell us STL people!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :p:p:p

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe Yamaha can supply a tin of 3M spray adhesive with every boat as a free gift :rolleyes:.
Maybe Yamaha will start using 3m adhesive to install their insulation.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought the safety issue was going to be you went to Shelbyville and didn't tell us STL people!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :p:p:p
Ha, ha, ha. This was the family trip. A different kind of fun times!

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. What if it stuck WOT and crashed into another boat or kids while tubing..

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I thought you had someone work on your boat again.
rev throttle.jpg

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@buckbuck , that still makes me mad. I am glad I am usually level headed enough to think things through and not panic. I would have been miserable that day if I didn't realize the issue and fix it before we left.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@buckbuck , that still makes me mad. I am glad I am usually level headed enough to think things through and not panic. I would have been miserable that day if I didn't realize the issue and fix it before we left.
It sure would have made docking in Peoria with that wind extra fun!