• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Entitled boaters

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in the Florida Keys and love going out pretty much every weekend that the wind isn't blowing over 20 mph. With that said this weekend was good to get out. Sunday enjoyed a wonderful day out on the sandbar we have around us with the family. Long story short, got back to the area we live in and dropped off my family at a neighbors dock (wife a 5 y/o and twin 2 y/o daugthers). After that I took the boat over to our marina here on our Navy base I live at. Came into the Marina and noticed that the boat ramp didn't have anyone launching or recovering. I moored my boat on a dock that most normal people moor up to. I hop off the boat, go and get my truck and proceed to back up my truck on the ramp which has two sides generally only room for one boat each side with a finger pier in the middle (4 minutes total). As I am backing up my truck a flats fishing boat with 4 adults and two kids comes over to the ramp and ties up on the side I am backing up my boat trailer on due to someone else doing the exact same thing I was doing on the other ramp.
I get out look at them for a second, analyze the situation to question myself was i really seeing these clowns doing this, and ask them what they were doing?
Lady one: We are going to get our boat out of the water what's it look like?
Me: Um I am clearly backing my truck up to get my boat out as I am a solo boater and there is 4 of you so it is a little more easy for you all.
Lady one: Oh well that is I guess your problem!
Me: Ok I guess it is all of our problems now and just got out of my truck and sat there trying to decide if I want to act like a child or take the high road. Nope, did not take the high road.
Lady two: Don't be a jerk, I can't believe you are not going to get out of our way as we have our boat "ready". (mind you the two males were still in the boat)
Me: I could of had my boat ready as well, but I know better not to block a ramp, especially if my truck is not on the ramp.
Lady two: Well you are ridiculous and childish and I am taking a picture of your license plate, it goes a long way here in Key West. (I had to laugh at that one a few times as she told me twice)
Meanwhile the two guys in the boat aren't saying a thing, lady one is just looking at me like I had three heads, husband goes and gets his jeep and pulls it right next to the other person who was retrieving their boat from the exact pier my boat was just on in the other lane. (I really wish there wasn't all that room on the other side as it would have just pissed off those ladies just that much more, but it was fun watching them mess around with lines and one of the dudes yell at their wife for not letting go of a line.

I am a little blown away as the way they were pissed off at me for being courteous and mooring my boat up at a dock and not at a finger pier on a boat ramp, getting my truck and retrieving my boat.
I guess as I walked away one of the wives flipped me off, I take as they are telling me I am number 1. I am not a confrontational guy as the Military has taught me discipline in my short 19 years, but I could not let these entitled people think they were going to get their way. As you can see the marina parking on the right side of the picture with a short voyage to the ramp on the left side.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 8.56.13 PM.png

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's messed up. I have not yet experienced that and I've been boating in Houston for over 15 years. Incompetence at the ramp is quite common, but malice or meanness usually doesn't make a showing around these parts. Good on you for standing your ground and making it work for you. I'm hoping it happens once every 20 years and this was your turn.

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve seen stuff like that for 30 years, not often, but a few times a year, usually on Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day.
The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure I have seen them before so they aren't new to this, but oh well. Looking forward to the Memorial Day clowns soon :)

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Funny thing is those people are probably sure that they were “in the right “
most definitely did, but it is all good, hopefully I don't get in-trouble because the lady has my license plate. 💩

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's messed up. I have not yet experienced that and I've been boating in Houston for over 15 years. Incompetence at the ramp is quite common, but malice or meanness usually doesn't make a showing around these parts. Good on you for standing your ground and making it work for you. I'm hoping it happens once every 20 years and this was your turn.
Yup, hopefully I got it out of my system. Enjoy boating!!

jb32566

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I've seen all kinds of douche bags at the launch ramp. In previous years I was only launching and recovering waverunners but that doesn't change the fact that they're there.

I usually let it go because any day on the water is a good day and I just chalk it up to "stupid is as stupid does"
I wish that boating courses were a.) required and b.) included launch ramp etiquette but until then i dont let ignorant assholes ruin my day.
Until then just smile, shake your head and nod at the other boaters there who understand.

The assholes will end up with problems that careful considerate boaters never have.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is why i LOVE having a slip! Sure it comes with its own hassles - notably how much more work is involved in keeping the boat looking great - but man it is nice to be able to boat without the ramp hassles!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had a similar situation, but I'd already parked on the ramp and was getting my boat and another boat pulled into the dock blocking my trailer. I sat there in my boat just off the dock and waited for them to get out of the way......thankfully I was not able to talk to them otherwise I'd have had some choice words for them. They eventually moved to another dock.

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is why i LOVE having a slip! Sure it comes with its own hassles - notably how much more work is involved in keeping the boat looking great - but man it is nice to be able to boat without the ramp hassles!
This is our first year with a place on a lake, with our boat right outside on a lift. We joke about becoming completely terrible at launching and retrieving the boat at a boat launch, but I think the trade off is completely worth it!

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ Garrett C...… I would have done the exact same thing as you ,my wife would have given me the "EYE" but I feel that if you continually let people do the wrong thing they'll continue doing it . Some people just feel they are entitled . There is etiquette everywhere in life

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Best one I ever experienced was the water ski rednecks. We anchored at the end of a long jetty area on Lake Lewisville. There wasn't much wind and it was mid week evening so no boats out and small ripple on the water. All of the sudden these 4 local yolcals show up and the one burn out badass proceeds to slalom in a pair of cut off blue jean shorts along the jetty. He's pretty good and the keep getting closer and closer to us. On the last pass the dude tries to really lay it down right in front of us and wrecks. The boat driver in his effort to pick the guy back up comes so close to my boat he catches his prop in my anchor line. Leterally 5' from my bow. I had been bitting my tongue the entire time trying not to cause an issue and just enjoy the evening with my family. I finally lost my shit. "Are you kidding me? I ask, You have this whole freakin lake with no wind and no wakes and you idiots are pulling this shit right here in front of my family. Literally the only 2 boats on the water and you dumbasses manage to get your prop in my anchor line. The guys could tell I had at this point lost my cool, I'm 6'5" and weigh 290lbs and I have a boat oar propped against the bow seat with steam coming outta my ears. They didn't say much, got in the water and untangled the line and then they left for good. This was the point in my boating life I contemplated bringing my concealed carry gun on the boat....

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Best one I ever experienced was the water ski rednecks. We anchored at the end of a long jetty area on Lake Lewisville. There wasn't much wind and it was mid week evening so no boats out and small ripple on the water. All of the sudden these 4 local yolcals show up and the one burn out badass proceeds to slalom in a pair of cut off blue jean shorts along the jetty. He's pretty good and the keep getting closer and closer to us. On the last pass the dude tries to really lay it down right in front of us and wrecks. The boat driver in his effort to pick the guy back up comes so close to my boat he catches his prop in my anchor line. Leterally 5' from my bow. I had been bitting my tongue the entire time trying not to cause an issue and just enjoy the evening with my family. I finally lost my shit. "Are you kidding me? I ask, You have this whole freakin lake with no wind and no wakes and you idiots are pulling this shit right here in front of my family. Literally the only 2 boats on the water and you dumbasses manage to get your prop in my anchor line. The guys could tell I had at this point lost my cool, I'm 6'5" and weigh 290lbs and I have a boat oar propped against the bow seat with steam coming outta my ears. They didn't say much, got in the water and untangled the line and then they left for good. This was the point in my boating life I contemplated bringing my concealed carry gun on the boat....
Damn, that is no good, and to think on a lake with no one on it??? I'm sure they didn't say much after they saw you ready to handle some business.

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen all kinds of douche bags at the launch ramp. In previous years I was only launching and recovering waverunners but that doesn't change the fact that they're there.

I usually let it go because any day on the water is a good day and I just chalk it up to "stupid is as stupid does"
I wish that boating courses were a.) required and b.) included launch ramp etiquette but until then i dont let ignorant assholes ruin my day.
Until then just smile, shake your head and nod at the other boaters there who understand.

The assholes will end up with problems that careful considerate boaters never have.
Trust me I tried as I am not a confrontational person unless I absolutely have to. I did wave to them when i drove by them washing down their boat. I guess that was nice of me.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
.... I did wave to them when i drove by them washing down their boat. I guess that was nice of me.
But did you signal to them that they were number 1?

paragus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This past weekend, i watched a guy take up a whole ramp to himself just to unwrap his brand new boat. Middle of a saturday and the boat ramp was slammed. They were taking pictures of the process, posing next to it,.. it was joke.

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This past weekend, i watched a guy take up a whole ramp to himself just to unwrap his brand new boat. Middle of a saturday and the boat ramp was slammed. They were taking pictures of the process, posing next to it,.. it was joke.
It is sad, but that is what our society is all about. I call them "one ways".

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yeah, the worst part about boating is the boat launch. Last year I had a guy all pissed because I was backing my boat down and he was carrying a kayak to the ramp. Also keep in mind he was not backed down to the ramp so I could clearly see his intent. Keep in mind the ramp was wide with 2 docks on each side. The ramp is not wide enough for 2 boats but I’ve seen a boat and waverrunnner retrieved at the same time. Keep in mind I also backed down slowly and made sure I was not close to them. He then got all pissed off, now granted there was another side but I was already lined up to back down at the same time he was carrying a kayak down. Then he said what just cause you got a boat you can go where you want. Didn’t take the high road as I had a few words. I could see his point if I was in his space but this was not the case at all. Then we have one boat ramp that is by a beach and of course you have to pay to launch (people always park in the trailer parking with cars). My thought is if I’m paying to launch and you going to a free beach if I see you parking in the trailer parking and it’s the only spot left yeah I’m going to ask you to move. First off the signs say boat and trailer parking only. If a village/city is going to have this situation they need to ticket cars that park in the trailer parking or get rid of the launch fees. It just pisses me off and I have called the police department several times. Rant over... Thanks, lol...

Last edited: