• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Extended center bunks!!! you ouch to give it a good thought ...

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So @bronze_10 bullied me to buy an aluminum trailer. While I was working to reduce the tongue weight from 800+lbs to 400lbs or less I took the liberty of extending my center bunks. The original ones were either 4 or 5 feet long. I switched to 8 feet. About 6 of those inches are extending forward and the remaining 3 feet extend back wards. These extra 3+ feet carry no weight when the boat is loaded.
My idea was that with the bunks extended so far back without any souport, they will act as suspension while the boat is being retrieved.

Earlier today I put my theory to the test........ Result: maybe the smoothest retrieval ever.

and because yall never believe anything unless there is a photo, check out the go pro footage at 0:35 to 0:47. It is important to see the entire 12 seconds as it clearly shows how the bunk raise up once the boat is "fully" loaded

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like that.. Once set up the only thing I can really complain about is it really easy to miss the front bunks if the wind is blowing or if u can't get straight for some reason. I like this idea. Need to see how u attached it to the trailer. Same hardware.. No extra support?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Looks like a good idea.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will send you pictures, but literary I pushed the boat back to a point where I was happy with the tongue weight. Then I moved the new center bunks ( same hardware no extra support) all the way upfront where the keel ends. I left a couple of inches in case I need to raise the boat and support it underneath

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great video,
i would be worried the ends could break off with the lack of support.
What are those bunks 2x6?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great video,
i would be worried the ends could break off with the lack of support.
What are those bunks 2x6?
yes they are 2x6 by 8 feet. I was worried about it myself and that was one of the reasons why I wanted to record it and see how the bend while the boat is loading.
I am planing on leaving it is for a while and see how t goes. It they brake, I will provide some minimal support. I really like the way they flex.

On my old trailer, there was a " jerkiness " when the hull will engage the bunks and center. Today it was so smooth that I could not believe it. Maybe I just got lucky to centering the boat, but we will see on tomorrow when I load the boat again ....

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do they make synthetic 2x6 boards like Lumberrock or Trex.
They still will flex but probrably not crack or break

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do they make synthetic 2x6 boards like Lumberrock or Trex.
They still will flex but probrably not crack or break
Great idea. I have a broken 8’ bunk on ‘17 Shoreland’r. I found local dealer and they were good enough to fast ship me a new one for $50 ready to install tomorrow.

Would you even need carpet on synthetic/PVC board?

Bunks are scarring black hull pretty bad. I got Caliber bunk wrap on the way.

Caliber Bunk Wrap II 2x6 Black on 16' Roll w/4 End Caps (23052-BK) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QV5ANPK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nU4.AbXY68R8J

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would still use carpet. That hard synthetic lumber would scratch the hull like the oem bow roller.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There have been lots of threads on here about hard bunks vs carpeted bunks. The slick hard bunk surfaces hold dirt/grim/sand between the boat and the bunk and it turns the surfaces into sandpaper. When the boat is trailered, small movement on the bunks sands the gel coat off the boat. When you put carpet in there, it prevents this sanding effect (perhaps not entirely but in a significant way).

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The synthetic bunks also had less rigity leaving more of the boats weight on the mount points and causing more harm at those points.

After reading about all of the problems with synthetic bunks I replaced mine with carpeted untreated spruce boards. Replacement is cheap, easy and they are holding up well.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The synthetic bunks also had less rigity leaving more of the boats weight on the mount points and causing more harm at those points.

After reading about all of the problems with synthetic bunks I replaced mine with carpeted untreated spruce boards. Replacement is cheap, easy and they are holding up well.
"untreated spruce"... Is there a reason not to use treated? I never thought about it (actually have used both treated and untreated in the past) but you making a point to say it makes me curious if there is a reason other than that it is cheaper to not use treated wood for bunks.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There have been lots of threads on here about hard bunks vs carpeted bunks. The slick hard bunk surfaces hold dirt/grim/sand between the boat and the bunk and it turns the surfaces into sandpaper. When the boat is trailered, small movement on the bunks sands the gel coat off the boat. When you put carpet in there, it prevents this sanding effect (perhaps not entirely but in a significant way).
Sir,

Does the caution (abrasion of hull surface) also apply to the "Trailer Bunk Glide" type of product? (https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Bunk-Glides-under-inches/dp/B00CXADP02/ref=pd_sbs_60_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00CXADP02&pd_rd_r=K98X1E7YK0QYZHRH404M&pd_rd_w=InCEW&pd_rd_wg=cL8Tu&refRID=K98X1E7YK0QYZHRH404M"

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It states on their description
"The bright white color allows you to easily see and wash off any sand or road dirt that can scratch your hull."

So i would say unless you wash the bunks off when in the water there is no guaranty it wont scratch

Last edited: