• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Extras for 252SD - what am I missing?

Thank you - was looking at a Lowrance but will check this out. Simplicity is going to be key for me, I'm new to fishfinders / chartplotters in general, so auto guidance is helpful.
If you'll be fishing, you need to read reviews to find the best sonar unit to mount for fish finding (we don't really care about fishing). For us, the chartplotter is for safe water navigation in some treacherous waters with multiple submerged wrecks, so I bought just a Raymarine Axiom 7 to put in the dash in the spring. It has great performance and Navionics maps for detailed info on the areas where we're boating.

If I was a fishing fan, I'd probably look at Lowrance or Garmin...but I haven't done much research, just noticed what the local fishing folks use.

I'm guessing the 275 handles a bit different than my 212? Does it not have a centerline keel?

At idle speeds the 212 does wander a bit just like my old I/O prop did but not alarmingly bad. At NWM+1 it's better and +2 it tracks straight, and +3 I have to be careful with the steering or I can turn a bit and the boat turns sharply out of line and I have to correct quickly. I typically dock in +1 or +2 if it's windy. +3 is too much thrust and the boat jumps around too much.

Compared to the I/O prop, I can come in to dock faster and easier, then stop, bow in, then stop and stern in - done. I wish I bought a jet years ago.
:)

Great tidbit of knowledge. Pres2028 and I are both waiting to get out on the water, it's good to hear the nuances of NVM.

I'm a big fan of more bilge pump power. Our boats have holes under the waterline and additional bilge power and a visual/audio indication that the auto float has triggered can save you. I'm not certain if this function is now baked in to the technology that comes with your boat, but if it's not standard yet, it's surely an area were no penny is wasted.

If you havent chosen 7" chartplotter fishfinder I'd highly recommend Garmin 743xsv its pre-loaded with coastal and lake chart (east coast and west coast including bahamas and 18000 lake chart including great lakes). On top of depth charts it shows the shipping lanes in intercoastal waterways so you do not risk running aground. Auto-guidance, like car gps not straight line navigating. Anchor alarm if your anchor gets loose. Make sure to pick UHD transducer to get the full function. It is also radar and auto-pilot ready in case you want to upgrade in the future.

@fatboyroy How/where did you mount this?

I flush mounted in the dash my boat is 190 FSH sport so I have room there.

Nice! If you have any pics - I would love to see it. I wonder what kind of room I'll have in the 255. Same question for a radio. I see a lot of people doing direct mounted radios vs handheld - not sure if that will make sense.

Nice! If you have any pics - I would love to see it. I wonder what kind of room I'll have in the 255. Same question for a radio. I see a lot of people doing direct mounted radios vs handheld - not sure if that will make sense.
I will send pic in an hour. I do not have mounted radio yet but I have lots of room on mine for that too, I currently have handheld VHF until I find the right mounted radio for my needs.

Sadly the 190FSH has a nice center console easy for flush mounting. In my 212 w/ 12.3" Connext, to flush mount a Garmin, I would need an uncut dash, then be able to move the Connext over a few inches to the left. I am guessing you are in the same position. My only real option (and I have researched a ton) would be the Simrad Go5 (for flush mounting in the dash). I dont like the Simrad, it has too much unused blank space around the edges. Unsightly. I am going to go with a standalone old phone with Navionics installed. Just for chartplotter only.

As far as VHF, where are you going to be boating? There are only a few places in WI/MN where the VHF handheld wouldnt work. Middle of Voyageurs National Park, far side of the Apostle Islands, Isle Royale. I have a Standard Horizon HX890 handheld, which has GPS and MMSI for distress calling and it gets over 5 miles (30 to the USCG).

VHF is line of site. The big difference between handhelds and mounted is antennae location. If you have an 8' antennae attached to the mounted radio, then you get more range based on the curvature of the Earth. It is a little bit of a fallacy that 25 watts gets more range than 6 watts. Something to think about before investing in a mounted radio and drilling holes and running wires and mounting an antennae.

Here is a good article: Marine VHF Radio Range

Here it is.... the place im pointing at is where I’m going to install mounted vhf radio

Attachments

• 69902C57-C098-40EB-9714-D879339A977B.jpeg
    69902C57-C098-40EB-9714-D879339A977B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 1536B47D-03DF-4FD1-93C0-060CDD6C0B03.jpeg
    1536B47D-03DF-4FD1-93C0-060CDD6C0B03.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Sadly the 190FSH has a nice center console easy for flush mounting. In my 212 w/ 12.3" Connext, to flush mount a Garmin, I would need an uncut dash, then be able to move the Connext over a few inches to the left. I am guessing you are in the same position. My only real option (and I have researched a ton) would be the Simrad Go5 (for flush mounting in the dash). I dont like the Simrad, it has too much unused blank space around the edges. Unsightly. I am going to go with a standalone old phone with Navionics installed. Just for chartplotter only.

As far as VHF, where are you going to be boating? There are only a few places in WI/MN where the VHF handheld wouldnt work. Middle of Voyageurs National Park, far side of the Apostle Islands, Isle Royale. I have a Standard Horizon HX890 handheld, which has GPS and MMSI for distress calling and it gets over 5 miles (30 to the USCG).

VHF is line of site. The big difference between handhelds and mounted is antennae location. If you have an 8' antennae attached to the mounted radio, then you get more range based on the curvature of the Earth. It is a little bit of a fallacy that 25 watts gets more range than 6 watts. Something to think about before investing in a mounted radio and drilling holes and running wires and mounting an antennae.

Here is a good article: Marine VHF Radio Range
Exactly why I never bought a mounted VHF radio yet, I'm still contemplating if I need it, I can probably stand high on my handheld and get almost the same range lol

I'm a big fan of more bilge pump power. Our boats have holes under the waterline and additional bilge power and a visual/audio indication that the auto float has triggered can save you. I'm not certain if this function is now baked in to the technology that comes with your boat, but if it's not standard yet, it's surely an area were no penny is wasted.
My 212 has an LED at the helm that comes on when the bilge is active, and the Connext screen also has an icon that lights up at the same time. The LED is there for when you have the Connext turned off so you still get a visual cue.

i have the hx890 as well. nice unit. never really use it for anything other than calling for a bridge opening. i guess thats a good thing really

i have the hx890 as well. nice unit. never really use it for anything other than calling for a bridge opening. i guess thats a good thing really

Same here. Locks mainly. Although it makes for good chatter. The bridge and lock operators like to gossip and talk smack about bad boaters.

I really like the fm and weather band. Great for boat camping on the islands

I agree that the sentry fenders kind of suck. The only place I find them useful is on the swim platform if you're backed into a dock.

Kinda confused by the hating on the Sentry fenders. I rather like mine... But I guess different strokes for different folks. If you have them on order, try them out.

As you can see from the thread, we are rather good at spending other people's money. I'll add in: trim tabs. Best purchase I have made in awhile. Really helped with the handling in chop. Wish I had done that one earlier.

Exactly why I never bought a mounted VHF radio yet, I'm still contemplating if I need it, I can probably stand high on my handheld and get almost the same range lol
I would beg to differ on this opinion based on real world communication on the ocean. A Boat without full radio lost contact with shore and drifted for hours....thank god they were eventually found! Boat with full 25w radio and 8' antenna....no communication issues at all (located and rescued them with the assistance of a CG helicopter). Now if you never intend to leave sight of land....ok. But a 25w with full antenna vs 5w handheld is very different. It also make an impact on what you can receive....reception is impacted by the height of both antennas (tranmit and receive). So if your handheld is in your pocket or in the cup holder, you won't hear the distress call from a sinking boat you could help.

I would beg to differ on this opinion based on real world communication on the ocean. A Boat without full radio lost contact with shore and drifted for hours....thank god they were eventually found! Boat with full 25w radio and 8' antenna....no communication issues at all (located and rescued them with the assistance of a CG helicopter). Now if you never intend to leave sight of land....ok. But a 25w with full antenna vs 5w handheld is very different. It also make an impact on what you can receive....reception is impacted by the height of both antennas (tranmit and receive). So if your handheld is in your pocket or in the cup holder, you won't hear the distress call from a sinking boat you could help.
Good to know, i'm leaning back toward installing it again lol

A wise man knows when to change his opinion.

Out today with new fixed mount VHF and received a pan pan from coastguard about person not returning to Burt Reynolds boat ramp In Jupiter Florida (about 10 mile south of my location they gave descriptions of the boat and name of the person .... I was pumped to go on a search I have plenty of fuel but unfortunately no known coordinates was given. There’s also CG planes circling around. Hope the guy makes it back home to his family

Back