• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Family Friendly Things to do in Orlando besides Theme Parks

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
so I'm taking the family down to Orlando at the end of October.....we go every year or two and most past trips are spent at either Disney/Universal/Busch/Sea World. Anybody have any ideas for family friendly things to do in the Orlando area outside of the major theme parks (or within a 1-2 hour drive)? looking for something different to do this trip.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Eat food at interesting places you might not otherwise try! Many decent, even downright good, international restaurants in the area.

mspis65

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
so I'm taking the family down to Orlando at the end of October.....we go every year or two and most past trips are spent at either Disney/Universal/Busch/Sea World. Anybody have any ideas for family friendly things to do in the Orlando area outside of the major theme parks (or within a 1-2 hour drive)? looking for something different to do this trip.
Plenty do do around Orlando. Celebration is a fun area. Disney Springs as well. While part of Disney it is all about shopping and eating. Tampa is a little over an hour. River walk, Armature Works, Lowery Zoo, Bush Gardens and plenty of great restaurants. St Pete is a little farther (another 30 minutes) Same for Clearwater. About 2 hours from Orlando.
Going in the other direction (East) you have the Space Coast and Daytona. St Augustine (Oldest City) is about 2 hours and great little city.

BillyDozer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
We went in July. Did an airboat ride through some local swamp areas. It was awesome, very family friendly and low cost compared to most things in Orlando area. Also ended up heading toward Cape Canaveral (Cocoa Beach area) which is only 50mins east. Kennedy Space Center too. Get out of Orlando and there is a lot to do with minimal headache.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Drive over to Cocoa Beach and enjoy the ocean for a day.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We went in July. Did an airboat ride through some local swamp areas. It was awesome, very family friendly and low cost compared to most things in Orlando area. Also ended up heading toward Cape Canaveral (Cocoa Beach area) which is only 50mins east. Kennedy Space Center too. Get out of Orlando and there is a lot to do with minimal headache.
would the airboat ride be good for a 4 year old?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

tarponfl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
If you have never been to a Florida spring and you like clear cold water check one out. You can swim, snorkel, paddle board or kayak. I have not been to any in the Orlando area but Rock Springs run looks awesome.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can check out the natural springs in the area (Blue Springs, Wekiva/Rocks Springs are some examples).

Fun Spot on I-Drive is a neat spot if you like go karts and carnival style rides.

Wild Florida - drive through safari/zoo with an adjacent zoo (rather small, but the kids enjoy it).

Omni at Champions Gate is a great family resort, with multiple pools (wave pool, toddler pool & slides, resort pool with enclosed side, lazy river, and an adults pool).

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not in the Orlando area, but only 1.5 hour drive is Crystal river....fun kayaking down a CRYSTAL clear river. Probably won't see manatees as they migrate south, but see lots of fish, birds turtles etc.

Also airboat rides in the area.

The water is astonishingly clear!
From the internet (need to show you photos I took)
1629215104767.png

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not in the Orlando area, but only 1.5 hour drive is Crystal river....fun kayaking down a CRYSTAL clear river. Probably won't see manatees as they migrate south, but see lots of fish, birds turtles etc.

Also airboat rides in the area.

The water is astonishingly clear!
From the internet (need to show you photos I took)
I've heard people mention this before....might have to try that.....we usually go every March and it sounds like that might be a good tiem to catch manatees there.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Silver Glenn Springs isn't far from Orlando either.

If you never been down to Tampa Bay, I'd recommend that, but I am biased. For Tampa, the aquarium is pretty good, and walking across the river at night is really cool. October you can catch a Bucs or Lightning game. Ft. Desoto is a great beach/hang out spot. Clearwater beach is tourism central but it is worth it for most. Clearwater Aquarium is also there with, with Winter the dolphin (two movies based on her) Any where along the gulf side of Pinellas county has really nice beaches. You will def wish you had your boat with you though. I have lots of people that I charter from the Orlando area, it's not a bad drive at all.

Around I4 - you can pick strawberries in Plant City, there is also a winery where you can pick blueberries. Not sure on the time of year that is open. If you have kids, Dinosaur world is around there. Never been but heard good things. There are some watersport areas around that way too, basically a private lake and you can do skiing/surfing/wakeboarding.

On the other side, you can get to Daytona or Jacksonville quickly. Honestly I find both cities relatively boring though.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
anyone ever been to one of the shark tooth beaches? I heard there are a couple near Venice, Florida that are good. Kids would like that if they would find a tooth.....

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
anyone ever been to one of the shark tooth beaches? I heard there are a couple near Venice, Florida that are good. Kids would like that if they would find a tooth.....
Pretty easy to find at Venice beach. Haven't been there since I was 18 or so though.

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My youngest loves hanging out at old town. The have a lot of car shows and a gem mining place along with a smaller amusement park that's actually pretty good. Kennedy Space Center is also about an hour away and is a real cool place to visit. In additon to Silver Glen Springs mentioned above, Blue Springs South of Astor is really nice place to walk/swim. They get a ton of manatee as well.

Matt_D

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
By the end of October, you might be able to see Artemis I sitting on the launch pad at Kennedy Space Center. It won’t launch until early next year, but they will roll it out twice before it goes. If you go to KSC, take the bus tour as soon as you get there.