• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Finally Accepted the calling to go Yamaha after all these years..

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello Everyone,
I wanted to Thank You for such an informative and insightful forum. The reviews and your experiences have been priceless in my recent obsession with the Yamaha Boats. I can't recall how many times over the years I've been to the Yamaha dealer lurking, but unable to pull the trigger. I've owned a Welcraft cuddy, Welcraft center console, Moomba LS, SeaDoo Wake 155 and Bayliner Element.

I'm ready for the reliability, safety, versatility(transom), ease of maintenance and winterization of the Yamaha Line... I'll be doing my own maint (fun to me), due to my 4 years in the Coast Guard.

I've spent most of my research time on the new 24s, due to all the new advancements this year, but my wife and budget are pointing me towards the 212x. I'm hoping I can get some more insight on the 212x and the future of the 21s. I just have that feeling that Yamaha might make the changes to the 21s as they did to the 19s and 24s this year. I also keep asking the question is the rudder, quiet ride, throttle by wire and connext worth it? I've never owned a jet and I've read numerous threads here recommending the first mod is the vectors...Is it that bad without them and does the rudder completely solve the issue?

Anyone in the 212 or 212x lineup regret not going bigger and better?

I've been to 2 boat shows this year and one of the dealers mentioned new engines coming with the 2016s 212x and it will or is the fastest, most powerful Yamaha boat? I thought all the boats have the 1.8L HO 1812cc? Or is because its a 21 with dual engines?

I have so many more questions, which no doubt are answered in the forum already...I look forward to contributing to this site and very much appreciated all the reviews, especially the videos.
Thank You
KB
Happy Boating!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome @InmyElement! I went through the same thing last year when I was looking to purchase. In my opinion, the biggest improvement Yamaha made was in the quiet cruise, although I have not driven an E-series yet. I could go without the touch screen of the Connext (all the diagnostic info is available in the guages), and have no issues with the steering. I actually kind of prefer the fins since I back up to the beach often and know the fins will 1.) Flex up if they bottom out, and 2.) are relatively cheap to replace if something has to give. I don't believe the keel has made the new Yamahas feel like a stern drive or anything. Many owners add fins to boats with the keel as well. They just give us a little better control of the boat when not under power.

Most Yamaha boats have either the MR1 two-stroke engine (pre-2010) or the 1.8 HO engines. There are some 19's that have SHO's, which are supercharged 1.8's. I believe what you are hearing rumors of is a new engine that we may see in boats in the next year or so, the 3 cylinder TR-1. I think Yamaha has put it in a couple jet ski's and snowmobiles this year. I'm not sure what the details on it are, but if you google it there are some articles out there.

Good luck with your hunt and keep us posted. Even if it's not your boat, we like pictures!

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One correction to the above statement...the MR1's are 4-stroke. The AR210 and SX210 had MR1's but those lines have been discontinued. The 212x and 212ss lines still remain on the 21' line because they are using the 1.8 engines like all of the other Yamaha boats. So all Yamaha did was did away with the MR1. The reason why the 212x and 212ss are the fastest and most powerful boats that Yamaha has on their fleet is because they are dual engine so makes it more powerful than the 19's and they are lighter which makes it faster than the 24's which all use the same engines. Maybe Yamaha will bring the AR210 and SX210 back with the TR1's and all the redesign that the 24's got but we will have to wait until it happens. 2017 sounds like a logical time for this to happen. The 24 redesign happened in 2015 and 2017 will be 2 years after, similar to when they adopted the body style of the 24's to the 21's in 2012 two years after the 24's in 2010.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I chose the 212x over the 240. I didn't want a 24'er. Have never regretted my decision. The 212 has everything I will ever need.
They are considered the fastest because they have the same twin 1.8L as the 240, but in a smaller, slighter lighter hull.
I don't think those TR-1 engines would make it into the x, at least I hope not. They'll probably show up in a new 210. I believe the 212 line will be revamped this summer to include a new tower and all the new gadgetry.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard,
On the need for vectors or the like.
I bought a used 2007 sx230 last year, I was planning on putting on a set, but after a season without them, I have decided against them. It's not that I don't think they might help, I just never ran into a situation where I felt like I needed them. If I had to get it onto a trailer (especially short handed) often, I might want the enhanced idle speed control. But I high and dry the boat so thats not an issue.
Currents around docks can be tricky, but since they are fairly steady they are manageable. Wind is trickier with the shallow draft of these boats, but I do not suspect that given the size of these fins they would help much.

Andy

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Unless the dealer knew of some secret program that yamaha is putting real muscle behind the ss again. Sho motors here we come!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome! The answers above are all spot on. Everyone is talking about what Yamaha will do for the 2017 model year, but it is all just speculation. We hope they put the quiet ride changes in the rest of the line up....time will tell.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for your comments, warm welcome and insight...I could wait and see what surfaces in August for the 21s, but after last summer of struggling with our current boat... its time. I'm usually ready to change it up in a couple of years anyway. So we locked into a Blue/Black 212x coming in March...whooo hooo....can't wait! My Wife, the Admiral is more excited then I am, which is usually opposite with toys... I got the boat show price, cover and warranty. Looking forward to contributing and guarantee I'll be posting picks....Anyone in the market for a Bayliner Element 16'?...lol
Looking forward to putting my first coat of wax on...
Happy Boating!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats @InmyElement Thats awesome. Can't wait to see your pics.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You are going to have a fun summer!

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Shes arrived......ETA to driveway 4/23...:thumbsup:

upload_2016-4-8_5-5-35.png

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats!

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
She's arrived!!!!whoo hoo
Can't wait to start the mods!!IMG_1042.JPG IMG_2198.jpg IMG_1042.JPG IMG_2198.jpg

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice and the truck combo is great!