• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Ballast Fill for '16 242X...how?

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Life long boater but first with ballast-
Have had the X for a few months now and on the water a half dozen times, but have yet to have the time/crew to surf.
Twice I've played with it on the water when I had a few minutes but have yet to move any water-
Can see the ballast thru hull value in the engine compartment (same as previous boat) and guessed that if I opened the valve (vertical), and used the Connext that it would just be that easy. Wrong-
Haven't moved a gallon of water yet.
Admittedly, I was trying to slip this in while my bride, kids and guests were distracted by other things and did not put in the time to break out the manual, yadda, yadda, yadda-

Anyone who has one and has done this already, have any quick tips or procedural step that I am missing?
(Breaking out the manual, while floating, is like asking for directions in your home town....yea, yea, yea, typical guy issue ;-).

Thanks-

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey Glen,
I did Fill and Empty all the tanks my first time out. I did not touch any valve?? it took a good 4-5 minutes to fill and a bit quicker to empty. I will say use caution the first time you are full approaching a dock, rider or other boat....it handles very different than when empty. Maybe take a pic of the valve and I'll compare when I'm at my boat on Thursday.

Mike

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Embarrassed to say that the problem was between the seat and the helm (and some lack of clarity from Yamaha).

Bottom-line, ballast controls have to happen through the joystick, and not through the Connext touchscreen. Touchscreen will not give any negative feedback, just no action.

@Julian

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's interesting....I was 99% sure I did it through the screen.
One thing I remember was you have to press the set button to initiate.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's interesting....I was 99% sure I did it through the screen.
One thing I remember was you have to press the set button to initiate.
To use the pre-set ballast and acceleration/speed settings, the 'set' button is necessary.
To just fill/drain the ballast, click ballast, click setting and push down on joystick-
On mine (at least), the touchscreen would not cause this to work and the joystick would-

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like you have an issue with your touchscreen or software. Reason I say this is I've seen videos of them filling the ballasts with the touchscreen. In fact they never used the joystick at all.

See round the 2;41 mark in this video...

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So, I did mention that this is my first ballast boat, right? ;-)
Did a hard reboot of the system, complete power off (at battery switches) and it appears that all issues are gone-
Put the boat back in the water tonight, on the trailer, just to verify-
Believe all is functioning, as designed, working through the touchscreen-

Likely float her one more time on Wed or Thursday to check the integrity of my final installations for Bimini (potentially drilling a couple of hole in the hull :), and will report back on final validation.

System definitely reported the 'System Short' on all three ballast pumps a few days ago but the power off and on has at least intermittently fixed it. Will fill and empty all as part of final operational test later in week.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian and any other experienced 242X (or others w/ ballast experience)...I have exactly 1 hour experience now...

The short story is that my 242X had a bad ballast controller. Finally replaced 2 weeks ago and finally got the boat back in the water on Sat. Ballast worked as designed and was able to get my daughter surfing w/o a rope.

Started with full port and center ballast and 10 mph. My daughter (139) could surf, but I (230) could not find a spot where I could drop the line

Board is 5'2", pictured below.
(Need bigger for me?)

For those w/ the X, what are the ballast/speed settings you have found to be the best?
Would assume they are based on weight & skill. (And side is based on goofy or not).

Aware of the Wake Wedge but first want to squeeze out full OEM capability. (And frankly, having a hard time swallowing the cost for both sides. Any better options/value?)

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I didn't surf all year due to a knee issue I've been having and I couldn't talk my daughter into trying (too many spectators every time we went out). But I did test the ballast and all works great. I do need to figure out where all our noodles will go when I fill the center bag!

That said, if you weigh over 200lbs, stock ballast will only be enough to surf ropeless on if you have a bigger board (mine is 5'6")....unless you have a bunch of friends you can pile into the rear corner where you are surfing.

I hope to get my knee in better shape for next year....I was wake boarding a lot this year and built it up nicely....it is the rotation of my knee I'm concerned about.....so I'm going to work on that over the winter.

I do have some extra ballast bags....and will likely try full stock ballast with a bag on the seat and/or a bag on the stern (I have 550lb bags)....adding those will make a big difference....then possibly a wake wedge!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Invite all your big friends to go with next time @Glen . You need some more weight on that surf side. A longer board is going to help as mentioned but round up the hefty friends first. It may be just what you need. Take pictures!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ballast input guidance.

Heavier surfer = > ballast weight (100% center and side)???

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Glen - We surfed all Summer....My findings go like this....59" board, all 3 tanks full, 10-10.5 mph. With this setup just about anyone under 175lbs could surf ropeless. 200lbs + its not gonna happen with our stock setup. I did try to load people in corners and it didn't seem to help. Also, my boat has to plane to get the wake cleaned up.

I can see why some move to dedicated Wake Surf boats but I'll stick with my setup for a bit longer.

Good Luck!
Mike

ChrisLLM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Kane. I'm in Harrison as well. Considering upgrading to the X-E. Love to hear any more details on wakesurfing or if you'd recommend the boat if that's one of the things we really want to do. Considering moving from my 2014 242 Limited to your boat. Any feedback would be great. Also, have you considered adding the wake wedge from Gantlin products?

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@ChrisLLM, Wow, Harrison...small world! Yes I'd absolutely recommend the 242X. I'd say my biggest complaint is the reverse being rev or speed limited. other than that I really love my boat. I ended the season with 72 hours and we enjoyed everyday and night we were on it. Did you buy your 14' from James from Long Lake Marina? I'm at my place often and your welcome to check the boat out....it's in my barn so you can see in and out easily.

ChrisLLM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Kane Thanks for response and sorry for long delay. Yes. Bought our 14 from James and the staff at Long Lake Marina. Great group and the Davenports (young and old) are both great!

Are you using your boat for wakesurfing? If so, did you find the stock ballast, plus people was enough to get a wave fun to surf. I'd really not pay 100k for a surf specific boat when I love my yamaha so much. Hoping the 242Xe can give me best of both worlds.

Did you add the wake wedge? http://www.gantlinproducts.com/

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@ChrisLLM - We use it for everything but really dialed into surfing mid summer. I find if your tipping the scales 200 plus you will not be able to surf w/out the rope. The kids absolutely love it! Keep in mind its an all around boat, it will never be a Nautique , Malibu or Axis, so it also wont ever give you the big wave either. Big waves cost big $$$$!!
lol! That all being said, I'll still buy another when the time comes.

sealavie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I filled ballasts a few times last year, but first time out this year center ballast doesn't fill. I've tried on two trips since then and center doesn't fill. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue. Greg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I filled ballasts a few times last year, but first time out this year center ballast doesn't fill. I've tried on two trips since then and center doesn't fill. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue. Greg
Not had this issue. (do you have the wrong model in your Personal Details?)

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@ChrisLLM - Hey Chris, I passed a shiny new 17' X on Long Lake a week or so ago....was that you??

Ted & Aja

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We have tried to fill our ballast since we got the boat in 2016 and have yet to succeed. It was taken to the shop and pump replaced those were bad. They said they got them filled and tested but we cannot seen to get it. Someone help husband has mentioned getting rid of the boat because it keeps having issues.