• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First boat would love Any advise

T0jo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to say this is a great forum I have been reading it for a while. It encouraged me to break down and get my first boat. I pick up my '15 Yamaha ar 240 this weekend it's hard to contain the excitement. I would love to get any advise you would give to a first time boat owner I have enjoyed the lake for many years on friends boats. Also maybe some purchases that are needed or just plain fun to have. For speakers I'm wanting to instal 10" wet sound tower speakers with there blue tooth eq will that be a issue with the new connect display? Looking forward to reading your replies. I'll be sure to post pictures after the first outing.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @T0jo and congrats one the new boat. That's one heck of a "first boat". I won't be able to help you with your specific questions, but other guys will chime in shortly. Can't wait to see your pics.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congratulations! We are the exact bunch that will help you spend your money. There are so many things you can get and it all depends on what you want to do with your boat. Some of the common items, regardless of what you do with your boat, are Sea Dek flooring so you don't have to worry about carpets, on board charger that can easily plug in to recharge batteries, Mooring Cover (I have a brand new grey one for sale), Tower speakers and amp to support, Sub and amp, Amp for inboard speakers and of course, a tube. If you will be doing water-sports, then tower racks to keep the board up and out of the way, good wakeboard rope, good wakesurf rope, wakeboard and wakesurf board, Perfect Pass to maintain towing speeds, ballast for bigger wakes. There are many more things and I am sure you will get a list from others.

Again, Congrats!

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
All necessary safety items. AND FUEL! LOTS AND LOTS OF FUEL! Because hopefully you get to use it a ton! Congrats!

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Your dealer hopeful gave you a Coast Guard package. Then I would recommend a first aid kit. Then go find you some open water to enjoy your boat. You say it's your first boat, so take your time and play and enjoy the boat - in open water. Learn how it handles and learn all the feature you have. Try to find a day that you can get to a good boat landing and practice with some finders out and help of friends - approaching the dock. Get a hang of this when you not rushed. Also practice driving your boat on the trailer. Just go have fun on water. Play and figure out everything there is to know about the boat.

Then start all the modifications that everyone will be sharing and showing pictures of, there will be so many things you will want - but nothing more than protecting your investment by not getting a bad case of dock rash from not being familiar with how you handles!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Congrats on the new boat -keeps everyone updated - I think everyone likes to see pictures so start sharing...

Also this link to another threads has a good extensive check list that will help you understand what is needed to have.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/qvo6n2qu29mcqmw/YAMAHA_SX230_CHECKLIST.doc

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
congratulations that's a great first boat! update your profile with your location so we know where you're at.

take a boating safety class and as advised above the first trip out should be with only one or two others with no expectations but loading/unloading and getting used to the controls,

You don't want you first trip to be a boat full of people expecting you to provide the fun and expecting high speed turns and wondering why it's taking three attempts at the dock.

and remember near the dock "Never go faster than you want to hit something"

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congratulations on your first boat, @T0jo !

Also, WELCOME ABOARD! The people here will treat you right. :Welcome:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As Scott stated, take a couple of practice rides first and as stated "Never go faster than you want to hit something". It will take you no time before you are good to go!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@T0jo ............ A BIG WELCOME here ! :Welcome: This place is chock full of VERY knowledgeable people who love to help out,. on all sorts of things.
And we LOVE Photographs, of your boat, your family, your friends, your trips, and more.
You just bought a KILLER boat ....... And I can promise you, you will continue discovering things for months now.
Like the fact you can program your CONNEXT System to have the BLOWER motor (evacuate fumes from the engine compartment before starting up)
both A) COME ON and B) GO OFF automatically so you don't have to do this. It's in your manual.
Best Wishes for a wonderful 2015 Boating Season ahead for you & yours. Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
+             CartoonWelcomeAboard 22 - TOjo.jpg

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
X2 on the boating safety class, as suggested above.

There are some great ones put on by US Power Squadrons http://www.usps.org/index.html/ and the US Coast Guard Auxiliary http://cgaux.org/boatinged/

Also worth considering are some of the online courses available such as the Boat US Foundation courses http://www.boatus.org/courses/ (note they offer state specific courses - this is important as navigable waters in the US are subject to a variety of differing sets of local, state, and federal laws)

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! Check out @JetBoatPilot website for some good deals on things for your boat. You will have loads of fun on here and with that boat.:Welcome:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After thinking about how this started @T0jo ........ and remembering my first days with a boat,
my BEST ADVICE is this:
Take someone who KNOWS BOATS with you on at least your first, and preferably, your first and second trips out in the boat.

And take the on-line boating safety course NOW.

And don't spend any money, unless you HAVE to, until you have made 4 or so trips MINIMUM on the boat.
Your "feelings" and "needs" will change.

But PLEASE - Do suggestion # 1 for sure. Take someone who KNOWS boats with you !@
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
+1 on the boating safety course. The inexperienced and the ignorant can be a real bane to others - and themselves - on the water. You can't fix being inexperienced unless you get out there but you CAN fix being ignorant by taking a course.

Also +1 on taking it slow the first few times. Figure out where you're going to launch the boat and pick a calm day when you won't have a line of people making you feel pressured.

Minimize your "crowd," take your time, use a checklist, and most of all HAVE FUN!!

Congrats on your new toy!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's Easy to Grin
When your ship comes in...

Welcome Aboard! :cool:

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats and welcome. Follow all the advise above. The best is taking your time launching, retrieving, docking, trailering and remembering it is not a race so do not rush.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome and congrats on the new boat!

If you put your location in your profile you will find people near you that can help you out (spending your money!LOL)

Read the FAQ (which you may have done....especially the articles on drowning...sorry to be a downer...but you don't want to take boating to frivolously).

If you have a buddy that has boated before....borrow him/her the first couple of times you go out. Take it slow.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat and welcome,, now plan on spending at least 1000 hours on this forum and let the education begin...enjoy...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
More congrats and welcomes!

If you are lucky, @txav8r will bless you by pointing you to his checklists, which are extremely complete. A must for any new boater. +1 on the boater safety course and all the comments above.

If you need some help, let us know!

T0jo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advise the check lists will help.. First thing I did was take a boaters Ed course as it did improve my knowlege of the waters. Looking forward to the first outing it will be with only one friend who has a boat. I will continue to keep checking for any more advise I can pick up. Thank you all for the warm welcome!

T0jo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MikeyL Do you know if putting in the tower speakers messes the connext up in anyway if adding a eq?