• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Issue on New 190

dexx00420

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I found this site back in April and it became the object of my obsession while researching what my first boat will be, new or used, jet or prop, etc. Having read so many positive things about the Yamaha we ended up buying a 2015 AR190 in July.

We've taken it out as much as we can and absolutely love it; I'm happy with my purchase and happy that nothing has gone south with it....one of the reasons I opted for new vs used. That being said...

On the way home Saturday I notice that the Yamaha cover for the bimini was flapping all over the place, barely hanging on. We pulled over and saw that the cover (I think this is the boot I've been reading about) was completely ripped from the zipper and fabric. That part bothered me but wasn't the end of the world but on one of the sides of the bimini itself the zipper ripped from the fabric for about 12".

I'm wondering if this should go to a canvas shop or Yamaha? Would something like this be considered a warranty item? We ended up putting zip ties all over to get us home but we're pretty much without a cover until it's fixed; luckily the heat is starting to mellow out.

We tow the boat anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours away (one way) each time we go out but I'm very anal about making sure the cover is zipped up, buckled, etc. and ready to tow....kind of bums me out this happened.

Good looking boat!
I would say this is a warrenty item so to a dealer it should go.
We enjoyed our 192, great boat, lots of fun
Enjoy!

I'd take it to the dealer if it is convenient and see what they say. Sounds like it should be covered...but who knows what their position will be.

A good canvas shop should be able to fix it pretty quickly and easily.

My bimini zipper traveler came right off and it went back to my dealer and he sent me a new one. He said There are documented problems with the bimini zippers so I think they just replace or fix them and thats that.

I had a tear show up in my bimini top this weekend right above the helm. I'm still under warranty so I'm going to drop it by this weekend and see if they will do anything. I'm not optimistic.

Our tops are supposed to be stretched super tight, almost like the top of drum tight. Its kind of difficult to get the pin to engage its so tight. I think a lot of the wear may come from not being tight enough as was explained to me by the dealer. @DBamaC I think the dealer will just give you a new one, I took pictures (no dealer close by) sent to dealer via email, he submitted and then contacted me and told me to send it in. 2 weeks later I had it back.

I'm headed up to my parents on Saturday and drive right by a dealership so I'm just going to pull it and take it with me to see what they say. It's got a zipper that will be needing replacement soon too so hopefully he'll be as easy yo deal with as yours was. If they don't I may try contacting the dealer in Panama City where it came from.

When I had the circuit breakers fail I didn't bother to even try the dealer due to the low cost, but I'd prefer to not be out $400.

Thank you guys for all the info! I'll be talking with my dealer today and hopefully they'll replace it under warranty.

I have to bungee the end where the zipper closes or it comes undone and starts flapping

If you are travelling that far each time you use the boat, have you considered dry docking (leaving the boat on the trailer at the marina)? I have done this for the pat few years and it pays for itself in less fuel consumed and issues like the one you are having now. Not to mention, it is much easier and safer to drive without the trailer attached. Good luck with the repair.

@dexx00420 The bimin top is absolulely covered by your 1 year Yamaha factory warranty.
Any dealership worth its salt should order you one immediately.
It may take awhile for Mother Yamaha to ship 1 out, but it shouldn't take long.
Do please come back and give us some follow-up on your experience.
In the meantime, please enjoy your week and so glad you've joined here. :winkingthumbsup"
NICE boat you purchased !
Take Care, Mikey Lulejian Lake Oconee, GA

In 2012 mine tore off on the way home from the dealer, all back roads - never broke 45MPH. Both the dealer and Yamaha said that it was not covered so I bought another one from a different dealer. New one has traveled thousands of miles in 3 years without a problem.

I have to bungee the end where the zipper closes or it comes undone and starts flapping

I had my dealer install a snap, similar to the carpet snaps, on both sides of the zipper in the closed position. So you zip it, then do the snaps and it stays put nicely. Pretty easy fix for a dealer that had the "snap installer" tool handy anyway.

@dexx00420, hope that is covered under warranty for you, I used to live in Yakima from 1990 till 2003, your picture looke like Osullivan. Been there done that, and your 45 minute drive must be to that cold ass lake Rim Rim Rock!

@dexx00420, hope that is covered under warranty for you, I used to live in Yakima from 1990 till 2003, your picture looke like Osullivan. Been there done that, and your 45 minute drive must be to that cold ass lake Rim Rim Rock!

Thanks! I've heard very good things about my dealer so I'm hoping for the best; he's already submitted it to Yamaha so I'm hoping to hear about their response tomorrow or Monday.

The lake in the picture is Desert Aire (Columbia River) but yes, Rim Rock is waaaay too cold! Moved to Yakima from SoCal so it's awesome having so many bodies of water surrounding me!

My Bimini has 4 zippers on it. 1 hour into my first two from LA to San Francisco, I pulled over and it was flapping like crazy in the wind. Now on the outside two zippers I use a safety pin from the zipper into the fabric to keep the zippers from working loose. For the middle two zippers I use a small bungee cord to hold them together. Then on the outside of the Bimini cover I use another two larger bungee token the ends from flapping int hat60 Mph wind for hours on end. After 4 seasons and 8-10,000 miles of towing it it still looks good.

I'd work with the dealer to get it replaced and then find a way to secure those zipper ends from flapping in the breeze...

I had my dealer install a snap, similar to the carpet snaps, on both sides of the zipper in the closed position. So you zip it, then do the snaps and it stays put nicely. Pretty easy fix for a dealer that had the "snap installer" tool handy anyway.

2015-09-13 14.04.00.jpg

That's a good idea. I think I will copy it.

I agree....that's smart!

Back