• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

First night left in the water

I would still be curious to know if it has a hot automatic feature or a hot float switch. Can you see the pump? Does it have a float switch somewhere next to it? The only other test is to run some water into the bilge until the pump is in the water, and see if it activates it. I can't imagine a stock bilge pump that is 100% manual. That would not provide any protection whatsoever, you would have to be in the drivers seat, conscience, and aware you needed to turn it on for any water removal. Certainly there is more to it than that.

The website propaganda says "automatic" which led me to believe this was a manual override. I didn't see it sticking out when I looked last night, but I didn't crawl in looking for it either. It is a packed little engine bay. I will try again to see if I can spot it, and if all else fails try the water method.

Also OP, sorry for the thread hijack! LOL

@jonw9 I agree with Mel, a newer boat like yours should have an automatic pump. If it doesn't...change it! It is possible that you have a 3 way switch at the helm Off-On-Auto.

And while we are on the subject of bilge pumps, I would recommend that everyone add a Rule bilge alarm to alert you quickly that there is water in the bilge. Don't wait until the water is running into your air intakes to find out!

My baby has been in the water since 2 Sundays ago. . . . Plugs are pulled and bilge pump is on. I temped up a solar panel with a charger controller to keep the batteries topped off. While I am keeping a close eye on her. . . . . Shi is still 2 hours away.

View attachment 7345
Hey 0627DevilDog,, what do you use for a camera? My boat also sits over an hour away and would be awesome to keep an eye on like that.

I would still be curious to know if it has a hot automatic feature or a hot float switch. Can you see the pump? Does it have a float switch somewhere next to it? The only other test is to run some water into the bilge until the pump is in the water, and see if it activates it. I can't imagine a stock bilge pump that is 100% manual. That would not provide any protection whatsoever, you would have to be in the drivers seat, conscience, and aware you needed to turn it on for any water removal. Certainly there is more to it than that.
You would think so. . . .but it is clearly stated in the manual that the batteries need to be on and the switch in the on position.

Hmm...are you referring to your boat @0627Devildog , or @jonw9 's boat? His is a different animal (glastron) than ours (yamaha), and ours do have a switch that activates the automatic function of the pump...and yes, the battery switch must be on, and the bilge pump switch must be on...but if no water is present, it does not continue to run, it just cycles on/off about every 3 minutes. His pump is what we are trying to figure out...and I think it may work the same way, but I don't know of course.

Hmm...are you referring to your boat @0627Devildog , or @jonw9 's boat? His is a different animal (glastron) than ours (yamaha), and ours do have a switch that activates the automatic function of the pump...and yes, the battery switch must be on, and the bilge pump switch must be on...but if no water is present, it does not continue to run, it just cycles on/off about every 3 minutes. His pump is what we are trying to figure out...and I think it may work the same way, but I don't know of course.

I was mobile when I commented. . . . . Didn't realize he was on a Glastron.

@0627Devildog which solar panel and controller did you go with? I need to rig one up for my storage.

I used the setup pictured. Only difference is I hardwired the charge controller and crimped eyelets on the end so I could get away from using those clamps.

20140612_094323-jpg.7095

Screenshot_2014-06-17-18-06-18.png
Hey 0627DevilDog,, what do you use for a camera? My boat also sits over an hour away and would be awesome to keep an eye on like that.

I have a 16 Channel 2TB hard drive DVR with (8) 700TVL camera's (2 more Camera's on the way). The camera type will depend upon how far away from the boat/dock it is. I would not recommend anything less than 700TVL (max analog) and I would stay away from HD Camera's for 2 reasons. 1) Cost, 2) Lack of quality IR/Night Vision capabilities. I don't recall the name on the camera's or DVR off hand. I can update this weekend when I get back there if you want. Attached some additional views. . .

Last edited:
@Trm1765 If your boat develops a leak.....ouch.

I have a Swann 16 channel camera system at home....works great. Already caught 2 idiots driving over my lawn! Cost them some sod and a sprinkler head! LOL. Swann support is 24/7 and awesome!

one of the dealer mods I did before I accepted the boat was have a float switch installed and rewire the bilge pump. I sleep well when she is in the water.

@Trm1765 If your boat develops a leak.....ouch.

I have a Swann 16 channel camera system at home....works great. Already caught 2 idiots driving over my lawn! Cost them some sod and a sprinkler head! LOL. Swann support is 24/7 and awesome!
Yes Julian I hear you loud and clear,, and I will agree it would be a big ouch. My thought process is if I get a hole in the boat and the bilge pump kicks in it will only pump so long before the battery dies. Once the battery dies the boat sinks anyhow. Being 90 minutes away from the boat and not being able to keep an eye on it there is no way to do anything about it if that happens. I shut all power off when I leave so I have battery power when I get back. Sometimes I get to the boat a couple times a week and sometimes it might be a couple weeks before I get back. If I leave the bilge powered there is a chance that I could have a dead battery when I get to the boat since there is no power to my dock. It just dawned on me that the camera system to keep an eye on it will not work either because I have no internet there so that is out. So my best option, keep good insurance and keep it up to date.

@Trm1765 I just left mine in my wet slip that I have for the summer. I was worried about the bilge being on and I am testing the battery as I don't have electric hooked up yet. Do you take it out often for cleaning?

You need to worry about rain water as well as a hull breach. Storms and vandals can damage and tear covers leaving your boat open to fill with rain and eventually sinking it. A bilge pump can keep up with rain for a good while.

@Trm1765 I just left mine in my wet slip that I have for the summer. I was worried about the bilge being on and I am testing the battery as I don't have electric hooked up yet. Do you take it out often for cleaning?
I try to take it out once a month or so and give it a clean. There is definitely a build up of scum by the end of summer but nothing a little elbow grease will not take care of.

You need to worry about rain water as well as a hull breach. Storms and vandals can damage and tear covers leaving your boat open to fill with rain and eventually sinking it. A bilge pump can keep up with rain for a good while.
Rain water does not get to the bilge pump.. All the rain water drains runs right out the back of the boat through the floor drains. I have tested with a garden hose several times, zero water to the bilge. It can rain a month of Sundays with the cover off and none of that water would get to the bilge. There are drains around the ski locker door and the fuel tank cover that all drain out the back of the boat straight into the river. Any rain water that gets into the boat will run out those drains and not get into the hull area at all. You do have to make sure those are not plugged with crud so the water runs well through them and not overflow.

Sounds like my Classic boat is plumbed differently. I got caught in a t-storm and my bilge had 6"of water in it in a matter of 10 minutes. The bilge pump had a hard time keeping up and the water eventually tripped my high water alarm.

I was doing exactly the same in Illinois....wet slip and no shore power. Added a 2nd battery in case I got a leak. If it is a slow leak (which is usually how they start), then the battery would be able to keep up with it for quite a long time. When I moved up to a 230 (bigger investment), I added a bilge alarm to the equation. That way, she'd go down screaming for help! My boat is at a marina where they do check on the boats and a neighbor would report a boat alarm going off.

Secondary bonus of a bilge alarm----I'll know immediately if I have a plug blow out that starts flooding the bilge.

When I get a slip I'll have to get a lift at the same time or I won't sleep. LOL!

Back