• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Time purchasing Towable Tubes

YANKEES5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Looking to purchase a few towable tubes for the boat any one have some recommendations ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who's going to be using it ? Have you ever pulled /ridden on a tube before, they can be dangerous, growing up I got pulled on an old tractor tube at about 40mph and don't know how I survived, I've flipped my 6yr old backwards out of a donut tube (still not sure exactly how it happened as I was only going about 15 mph), had a split chin from people falling off and into each other and numerous other sore parts/contusions and possible concussions from people hitting the water and I rarely pull people above 20-25mph but do look for wakes and wind to try to get them airborne or the tube sideways,

If they are small kids a donut tube might be better to start out with, it gives them a lot better feeling of security.
If they want the challenge of hanging on and not get thrown off without having to go to fast a flat disk like a mega slice is good
If they want to just sit back and enjoy the spray get a sitting style but be careful because it's easy as a driver to go to fast and put your riders in a dangerous position,
if you want crazy buy a manta ray and fly 2oft in the air,

emily grace alexandra 090411.jpg
jacob austin jeffrey feet in the air 090411.GIF

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The donut tube is only going to be used by the youngest of kids, maybe timid kids up to 8 yrs old.
The disks are for anyone willing to have fun and maybe end up in the water
The sit down types, big mable for example are for others who may like riding standing up or older people more comfortable in a sitting position or kids who want a better sense of security,

just know your riders and treat them accordingly,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Need more information to be able to answer your question with anything useful! I own 4 tubes:
  1. Aero Firestorm - Flat disk - expert level rider, requires strength, small and easy to transport and inflate (not made anymore)
  2. Sportstuff Bandwagon 2x2 - great for all levels, but huge and weights a ton, kids love it, I hate it (too big--heavy and longer to inflate), but still a favorite.
  3. 3 person Airhead sit in style - great for small kids, very safe and comfortable (didn't use at all last year...daughter is too old for it) (also not made anymore)
  4. 2 Person Aero tube - medium to expert riders, light, easy to transport (used the most--because I can lug it easily!)

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I've had a few Airhead Slice flat tubes, used them as @Scottintexas says, and over the winter picked up a Chariot Warbird couch style tube, for pretty much the same reason as Scott mentioned as well.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've used the HO ones that Costco sells. They tend to be pretty stable. They're great for little kids that don't want to take a spill but can be flipped with a lot of effort from the driver. Also, best return policy in the business.

Never liked the ones that encompass you and leave you sitting on an inch of inflated cushion. Those hurt when they bounce.

Here's our HO from Costco. image.jpeg

YANKEES5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Need more information to be able to answer your question with anything useful! I own 4 tubes:
  1. Aero Firestorm - Flat disk - expert level rider, requires strength, small and easy to transport and inflate (not made anymore)
  2. Sportstuff Bandwagon 2x2 - great for all levels, but huge and weights a ton, kids love it, I hate it (too big--heavy and longer to inflate), but still a favorite.
  3. 3 person Airhead sit in style - great for small kids, very safe and comfortable (didn't use at all last year...daughter is too old for it) (also not made anymore)
  4. 2 Person Aero tube - medium to expert riders, light, easy to transport (used the most--because I can lug it easily!)
This is my first boat. Never towed anyone before. I Have been towed but that was years ago. I would be towing people from the ages 13 - adult. None are very experienced. Kids are very excited to tube

YANKEES5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Who's going to be using it ? Have you ever pulled /ridden on a tube before, they can be dangerous, growing up I got pulled on an old tractor tube at about 40mph and don't know how I survived, I've flipped my 6yr old backwards out of a donut tube (still not sure exactly how it happened as I was only going about 15 mph), had a split chin from people falling off and into each other and numerous other sore parts/contusions and possible concussions from people hitting the water and I rarely pull people above 20-25mph but do look for wakes and wind to try to get them airborne or the tube sideways,

If they are small kids a donut tube might be better to start out with, it gives them a lot better feeling of security.
If they want the challenge of hanging on and not get thrown off without having to go to fast a flat disk like a mega slice is good
If they want to just sit back and enjoy the spray get a sitting style but be careful because it's easy as a driver to go to fast and put your riders in a dangerous position,
if you want crazy buy a manta ray and fly 2oft in the air,

View attachment 36016
View attachment 36017

This is my first boat. Never towed anyone before. I Have been towed but that was years ago. I would be towing people from the ages 13 - adult. None are very experienced. Kids are very excited to tube

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recommend the costco 3 to 4 person tube as well. It's a great value since a heavy duty tow rope and 12v pump is included all for $200. Almost all of the other similarly sized tube I have bought before were closer to $400, didn't include a tow rope or pump and were subject to a very limited return policy.

http://www.costco.com/HO-Sports-Delta-3-Towable-.product.100249572.html

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I forgot to mention the flat tubes are fun but since you lay on them face down when in use can be tough on the neck and back especially for older riders. Whatever you get I recommend that the riding surface be as high off the water as possible. Those donuts that you sit in which only have the cover between the rider and the water can leave the rider bruised and sore for a few days afterward.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

take your pick.....hot dog very dangerous. broken shoulder at 4.20