• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time with debris in impeller.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Would have been nice to have a clean out port for this. Fortunately was heading back to dock when it got stuck. Able to use other engine to return. Had to cobble together a cutting tool. I tried to remove the grate but was unable to. The front screws would loosen but not unscrew all the way. All kinds of wood debris floating in Ohio river today and I found a loose piece of rope. image.jpgimage.jpg

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in the mon and it was terrible at maxwell lock. Worst debris field yet. I ended up with something in every blade of both impellers. I had the lock guy pull me through with a pole on the return trip.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I was impressed about how well boat did with all the crap around then this happened. Just hit ten hours about 2 seconds before it got tangled. Didn't even get a chance to opening it up all the way. Starboard engine hit 10 hours while limping back to the dock.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When it's particularly bad out, I think maybe I should have bought something else, but then a bass boat hit a submerged log or something on the way out of the lock and bent his prop. I can deal with a little debris. I'm good :)

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure you check the wear ring for deep gouges. If it has been damaged, you will get cavitation.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The BRP engines have a urethane plastic wear ring. The Yamahas are aluminum alloy. That was a major factor in my buying decision.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The BRP engines have a urethane plastic wear ring. The Yamahas are aluminum alloy. That was a major factor in my buying decision.
Could be a good thing, and a bad thing.

My Honda has an aluminum one, and if it gets messed up, you have to replace the pump housing. On the Rotax, you change the ring, check the impeller, and off you go.
They do make stainless sleeves for the Rotax 4-tec if you dont like the urethane one.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
How do I get in there to check it? I can't remove the grate. The screws turn but don't back out on front of grate. Do I remove it from the back, similar to a Yamaha? Just pull out impeller and shaft from aft of boat? Due for 10 hr service this week. May just have them check.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Pinhacker71 The bolts are probably stuck in place with silicone. Now worries, just tighten them back up. Some rope like that shouldn't have harmed it.

Now if you ever ingest rocks or so, you will have to check. Just peal off the silicone, and pull the grate off. When you get back, then just use some marine silicone from Walmart. No biggie, you get really good at it if you do it a couple times.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
The screws will turn both ways without tightening all the way or backing out at all. It's like they are just floating in there without biting on anything.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Surely they aren't stripped out or broke? Can you get anything under the head of the screw to get it some pressure to take it all the way out (or even just pull it).

Yoki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I was in the mon and it was terrible at maxwell lock. Worst debris field yet. I ended up with something in every blade of both impellers. I had the lock guy pull me through with a pole on the return trip.
I was on a long weekend at Shasta Lake, Cali with my new 195 impulse. It was the first time I got to show off my new boat in front of my brother who has the Yamaha 240. Unfortunately for both of us, Shasta Lake water levels were at almost full this year, which hasn't happened in a while. We can tell not just by the water level, but also by the large amounts of debris in the waters. Every time we would set out for the day, we would spend quit a bit of time trying to remove pieces out of our jets. Fortunately for my brother, he just opened the jet ports and got some pliers to remove pieces of wood, bark, etc from his jet. Not so easy for me. If the Scarab didn't chew up the piece and spit it back out, I had to get it on the trailer. Once back in the garage I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything left in there as the boat just didn't seem to sound and run right. See what I found in the attached pics.
This piece of wood wasn't touching the impeller, but it was blocking water from flowing out and caused the boat to not run as fast as it could. I got it out with some needle nose.

Attachments