• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Floor Storage Gas Spring Replace

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2017 Yamaha 242X. Several years ago, someone with a similar boat posted a thread about their main floor storage door not opening to its full capacity, This was due to the gas spring restricting it. They ordered a gas spring that extended further and it fixed the issue.

Does anyone remember that post? @Julian did you do this mod? Or, has anyone replaced that gas spring with a larger one? If so, which one did you get? I want to make sure I order the correct one.

The current spring installed (original) is Signature Series Gas Spring SE150P-45.

Thanks!

Check RockAuto under universal lift support. Measure you total open length and order accordingly.

I just replaced my cleanout hatch cylinder with one from there rated for 29lbs and it's perfect.

I have a 2017 Yamaha 242X. Several years ago, someone with a similar boat posted a thread about their main floor storage door not opening to its full capacity, This was due to the gas spring restricting it. They ordered a gas spring that extended further and it fixed the issue.

Does anyone remember that post? @Julian did you do this mod? Or, has anyone replaced that gas spring with a larger one? If so, which one did you get? I want to make sure I order the correct one.

The current spring installed (original) is Signature Series Gas Spring SE150P-45.

Thanks!

I have a cheaper solution: Unscrew the strut from the ski locker hatch, open the hatch all the way, reattach the strut. It will now open all the way for zero dollars.

These struts are used in so many applications, you literally can go to any hardware store or larger fleet supply store and buy them.

The specs you need are on the strut as far as weight supported. Then just buy the length you want.

I have a cheaper solution: Unscrew the strut from the ski locker hatch, open the hatch all the way, reattach the strut. It will now open all the way for zero dollars.
I replace mine with a longer one, just because I didn't want holes in the hatch. But one could fill those with 5200 and they'd be less visible.

What length did you go with @Julian ? Mine is due to be replaced anyway, so I'll order a longer one. Just didn't know if I could go TOO Long and mess up the operation.

What length did you go with @Julian ? Mine is due to be replaced anyway, so I'll order a longer one. Just didn't know if I could go TOO Long and mess up the operation.
This thread has the info on what I bought. (20")

This post links to two threads on the topic of just moving the existing strut.

Yes!! That is the exact post I've been looking for! You are da man @Julian !!

Back