• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FM RADIO SIGNAL

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The signal on my am/fm radio head-unit sucks. Anyone have this problem also. Any quick fixes ?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check and see if you have an antenna and how it's mounted if you do. It's probably just a wire below the dash that might need to be routed differently.

There are combiners that Shakespeare sells that combine your VHF antenna with your AM/FM antenna if you have one onboard to tap into.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is one of the objective things @geiger41 . It is based on where you boat. But looking at your profile pic, I am guessing the fm signal strength is fine in your area. my 2012 HU is a piece of crap, but I get FM better with it than I did my previous POS HU in the 230. I don't listen to FM, mostly just my iPod...but my POS HU won't even let me do that easily. Yesterday, I couldn't even get it to fade to adjust the sound level in the bow. And...it wouldn't even go to the fade page! I can't believe we have to put up with this. I am giving it back to the dealer (the HU).

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Move to Florida... its really flat here and we get FM across about three or four counties... ;)

@Murf'n'surf and @txav8r answered up to the rest of what I was gonna say as I was typing this... like @txav8r, I am an iPod guy... I hate commercials, and I want to listed to what I want to, when I want to!

What HU comes stock in the new boats? I replaced all the stock 2008 stuff with a Sony HU, remote, and JBL speakers. I do the extended warranty with West that covers for two years, and it has saved my a$$ twice already on the HU.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Well after reading the manual this HU has 3 reception area settings...........USA (U) Other Countries (K) and Europe (E) For some reason the setting was on "other countries" So I switched it back and it seems like it worked....Final outcome will be the next time I take the boat out.

There is also a DX/LO Setting.............LO (Stations with strong signals only) DX (stations with both strong and weak signals) I changed mine to DX so guess we will see how that plays out

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@cwoav8r , the same crappy JBL that you had, only prettier! You can dress it up, but if it quacks...it is still a duck!

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@geiger41 , Damn... Thought that was gonna make you move to Florida... Better luck for us next time...;)

@txav8r , roger that... Upgrade that radio... But first.... NAME THAT BOAT! :woot:

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My reception is very poor also. I have checked antenna connection which seemed ok.. But as said earlier, the antenna is only a wire under the dash. My last boat was the same and I added an antenna, but that made no difference either so I have always assumed it was just something to do with being on the water. This year I subscribed to XM radio for the summer, 10 bucks a month for the summer. Problem solved.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can also buy an antenna booster that goes inline with the antenna cable. Cam.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@txav8r , roger that... Upgrade that radio... But first.... NAME THAT BOAT! :woot:

Name your boat...."Quacks Like A Duck"

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
hmmm upgrade radio...hmmmmm gonna have to look for a radio that has a large screen that can double up with a gps map displayed on the screen... ALSO just forgot I have a tablet I just installed my navionics app on it anyone know of any gadgets for a tablet that will cover the top so the display looks better in the sun

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check out the TuneTrapper FM antennas. Replaced my stock with one with good results.

Last edited:

TexasTea

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put a booster in my boat, made a huge difference. The booster was $5 on Amazon and your antannae plugs I to the output of the booster. The booster is simply wired to the power wire so it turns on when your radio turns on. Should take you 10 min or less to install.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just bought an antenna from west marine and plugged it in......same crappy reception

Durkis007

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Activate that SiriusXM satellite radio if you have it... works everywhere ! Thats all we use, and according to the other boats we tie with, I am the "music/stereo" provider ! lol

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah I think I have to buy an adaptor or something to get the Sirius going. Probably do that for next summer. I'm a BPM kind of guy. Lol.

bigwoo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you go the Sirius route tell them you want the 6months for 29.00 deal.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm loving BPM and Electricarea! Sounds like its time for a head unit upgrade. I wouldn't add a sat receiver to the head unit if it's not tuning fm properly, start with a complete new unit.