• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Found this in the bottom of the engine compartment for the 2nd time

It is a piece of hose clamp. A check of all your hose clamps is advisable.
You will have to pull the clean out tray + check in the engine compartment to get to all of them. Moderate PIA, but doable.

Dumb question but where is the cleanout tray......this piece only appears to be the extra length of the clamp that isn't in use.

I believe they the only clamps of that style in the engine compartment are on the exhaust hoses.

The clean out tray is the fiber glass piece that the clean out plugs are installed through. It can be removed after removing around 20 screws.

I would change the clamps that have lost those pieces.

Yeah, don't use the boat until you find the source of that.

Yeah both were in the bottom of the engine compartment in the little puddle of water that usually is in the very bottom...ill look a little further and see if I can find the source.....Curious as to why/if the cleanout tray would have any correlation to what I have found. Not sure it would as this tray area is completely separate from the engine compartment.....am I right here or am I missing something?

There are 4 hose clamps under the clean out tray on the upper and lower ends of each clean out tube, as well as on exhaust connections. Check each side of the exhaust on each engine. My guess is that it is only the end of the clamp past the tightening screw. But like @biglar155 said, if it broke off there, it could fail. So change the one it came from. I will stop short of being an alarmist, because many "extra and broken components" have been found in these boats. My guess is during assembly, when a fastener breaks or a screw or nut is dropped, they grab a new one and leave the dropped or broken one and move on. But you don't have that luxury, so you must verify.

If the clamps are breaking in the engine compartment then they might be breaking in the bilge under the clean out hatch / bilge cover as well.

A member from Florida recently posted about almost loosing his boat and wife to a broken clamp in the bilge area. If the exhaust hose comes off a huge amount of water is pumped into the bilge and carbon monoxide is pumped into the hull. So it is a good idea to inspect all of those clamps.

If the clamps are breaking in the engine compartment then they might be breaking in the bilge under the clean out hatch / bilge cover as well.

A member from Florida recently posted about almost loosing his boat and wife to a broken clamp in the bilge area. If the exhaust hose comes off a huge amount of water is pumped into the bilge and carbon monoxide is pumped into the hull. So it is a good idea to inspect all of those clamps.
And agree!

Checked the whole engine compartment. Only clamps of this type were on the ballest hoses and the floor drain hose from the rear of the interior of the boat. 2 of the ballast clamps had the extra part of the clamps missing. Maybe the 2 pieces were from these. The 2 clamps were still very tight without the extra piece. As far as the clean out tray compartment, I didn't get to that. Will do that tomorrow. Again. No way what I found is from the clean out compartment because they are totally separate areas. Well c tomorrow what lies ahead.
IMAG0141.jpg IMAG0140.jpg IMAG0138.jpg
Edited to show the full images instead of thumbnails...txav8r

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet it is the ballast clamps broken off. I would change the ones with broken ends just to be safe and get on with it...after you check under the clean out tray and make sure you don't have any issues in there...a broken or missing clamp on a clean out tube hose can flood your boat too.

And agree!

Yup, check EVERYTHING!

I know you have seen it but here it is again...

https://jetboaters.net/threads/almost-sunk-my-boat-happy-to-be-here.2087/

Yes, and thank you Ed for sharing that. It pays to check things over! And thanks for sharing it again...everybody should read that thread!

I just towed a Sea Ray back to it's mooring yesterday due to the same problem. His stainless steel clamp broke on his engine cooling line and flooded his engine bay. So it's not just Yamahas. Any boat in salt water is susceptible.

Just read that thread............guess ill be putting the anti corrosion in the whole cleanout tray area once a month

2x to @cwoav8r thread...There's not 4 hose clamps under the cleanout tray that this could be be from, there's 12 (if you have two engines, 1 engine = 6). There's 4 on each exhaust, plus the 2 on the cleanout tubes. You don't have to pull the cleanout tray to inspect, just pull the manhole covers.

I lost one on the lower exhaust not too long ago.

If they clipped them off, that could be just one of the clipped ends they missed in cleanup.

That's what I figured it was. Better safe then sorry. Ill try and check the cleanout tray area later on today. Ill keep uou guys posted if I see/find anything out of the ordinary.

I had one just like that in my center bilge and it was the clamp off the air intake at the flame arrestor / throttle body (?).

Back