• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel Fill question...

10-8

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went last night to the lake to fill up the boat before the 4th. I've always been able to fill at the maximum rate the pump would put it in. But this time I had to put it in very slowly, fuel was coming back up the neck and causing the pump to click off. Is there a vent line that may be clogged? Has anyone run into this on a newer boat?

Thanx!

Just aft of your fuel cap is the vent. In the picture the fuel cap looks black and the vent is chrome. You might have a clogged fuel vent.

Thanks Guys, I was wondering if that was the vent. It has an allen head on it. I'll check that out tomorrow and see if there is a problem with it.

I have the same issue. My '08 SX230 I could fill at pretty close to max rate. But the '12 SX 240 won't take it nearly as fast. I have to pull the nozzle out a good ways to keep the fuel from backing up the filler hose and shutting off the nozzle. I can't hear it as easy as I did on the '08 either.

I had the same problem. I use a Allen wrench and loosen the vent during fueling and that cured the problem. I now carry an Allen wrench on the boat for this purpose.

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but there is an Attwood "box" that the fuel vent hose runs through. It isn't listed in the service manual, but it shows it outlined with a dashed line. This is some sort of vapor collection assembly I am thinking, and it is causing this issue I think. It is between parts 13 and 15. You can see this in your battery compartment in the 240 and probably newer 242 and 210/212. Mine is a '12 SX 240.
Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.49.07 AM.png

Unless the cent cap is plugged, it shouldn't matter...unless the cap itself is too small and restricting the vent.

Here is a pic if the canister inline in the vent hose...
image.jpg

I don't think that Atwood part is installed in my 2010 242ls. I will check for it later, always nice to know what I have, what I don't and what it is.

Oh boy...EPA crap. It is a carbon canister diurnal emission control component. And it isn't the only component in the system. This video explains how it should work but like most EPA crap, it doesn't.
Here is a diagram of the system in the boat, along with the various valves. It is the inlet valve that senses pressure rising in the tank, due to the vent restriction, and shutting the inlet valve. That is why removing the P-trap vent is letting it fuel better. Watch the video and look at this diagram.
Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 10.46.40 AM.png

I wondered what that space waster was as well! Now I know, thanks Mel, very informative!

EPA......geeeeezz.......

I am wondering if you just replaced the P-trap with a vent head, would that stop the pressure issue? The better question is how much would this affect the vapor recovery, warranty, and regulation issues should someone actually know what they were looking at and questioned it. My question is, would it fix it?

@The Wanderer2 ,Describe exactly how you are loosening the vent. Does this allen set screw loosen the head or remove the p-trap from the hose?

Oh boy...EPA crap. It is a carbon canister diurnal emission control component. And it isn't the only component in the system. This video explains how it should work but like most EPA crap, it doesn't.
Here is a diagram of the system in the boat, along with the various valves. It is the inlet valve that senses pressure rising in the tank, due to the vent restriction, and shutting the inlet valve. That is why removing the P-trap vent is letting it fuel better. Watch the video and look at this diagram.
View attachment 8117
Thanks Mel, I've had the boat a year and this is the first time it has done this. If it's not a one time thing, looks like it could be either the ICV or FLLV sensor, based on the video. Either way, looks like a dealer warranty issue if it continues.
Thanks Again..
Jubal

Don't you hate complex systems...I wonder how many sensors or valves could be removed and turn it back into a boat fuel port and tank?

I just loosen the vent, but I don't remove it completely. I'm not sure if this is a true fix or the problem stopped at the same time I started loosening the vent. Prior to that it took forever to fill the tank because it kept shutting off.

Back