• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Future of Fuel....NOT GOOD

If this does go through what are some things we can do to the fuel in our boats ??? Ring Free?? Any additives ?? I dont winterize with a full tank anyway, probably may be a good idea to run those tanks empty for the winter...

If this does go through what are some things we can do to the fuel in our boats ??? Ring Free?? Any additives ?? I dont winterize with a full tank anyway, probably may be a good idea to run those tanks empty for the winter...
As the years go on, I see more and more land based gas stations carry non ethanol fuel. I think the trend will continue so boaters will have a choice.

As a side note, BoatUS has a lot of lobbying power and is working for the boaters best interest in Washington. That's another good reason to buy insurance or tow membership with them.

I use "Ethanol Defense" in one of my vehicles that has a known issue with ethanol due to the aluminum gas tank.
http://www.bellperformance.com/fuel-treatment/ethanol-defense

So far, so good. There are still places you can get ethanol free, you have to hunt them down...
http://pure-gas.org/
http://www.fuel-testers.com/find_ethanol_free_gasoline.html

What a scary crock of crap. I have yet to see a good argument in favor of ethanol additive - other than the boon to the corn industry. Environmentally, it's BS, but I bet the Midwest and all the companies that sell small displacement gas engines (lawnmowers, leaf blowers - you know, the ones with the cheap and nasty plastic components that get fried by ethanol [ask me how I know... Sigh]) are just laughing all the way to the bank at our expense.

Just sent email to my Rep.

I am really suspect about the accuracy of most the claims in that article. I live in Iowa. (Not a farmer). I have been running ethanol since its inception and have never had a fuel related issue. Lawnmower, boats, cars you name it. We have more than 40 pickups that are parked outside for the winter and they fire right up. My '96 Celebrity with a 5.0 fuel injected ford in it has been stored fore 3 years and I took it out last week and ran the old gas out of it without a problem.

I am really suspect about the accuracy of most the claims in that article. I live in Iowa. (Not a farmer). I have been running ethanol since its inception and have never had a fuel related issue. Lawnmower, boats, cars you name it. We have more than 40 pickups that are parked outside for the winter and they fire right up. My '96 Celebrity with a 5.0 fuel injected ford in it has been stored fore 3 years and I took it out last week and ran the old gas out of it without a problem.
You've been fortunate....The phase separation issues are well documented. It's not a myth.

I'm not convinced by this article either. Yes, water is bad in gas, but boats have tons of ways to get water in gas....the most prevelant is condensation in the tank. 85% of the problems faced are fuel related.....huh.....wonder what it used to be before ethanol?

That said....some older boats can have real problems with ethanol. ...but ours wouldn't fit into "old".

I'm tempted to put a jar of gas in my shed to reproduce his "display"....

I'm not saying ethanol is good, or a environmentally sound....but this article plain lacks sound data.

In my situation during the winter I basically keep the tank as low as I can then refill with new fuel before i put the boat on the slip. I dont think the amount of condensation built up on an empty tank that is basically sealed from the gas cap to the portion where the fuel leaves the tank can be that much. Im sure if you were able to get every drip of condensation you may have one or 2 cups MAX. IMO hardly enough to do any damage once 48/50 gallons of new fuel is added.

It doesn't take much water to have a nasty mess at the bottom (fuel pump inlet) of the tank and a lower octane degraded fuel in the rest of the tank.

A girl I work with had to spend 1000.00 to get her boats fuel system fixed from ethanol problems.

no water.JPG fuel sample.JPG General avation pilots routinely check for and drain water from their tanks before takeoff. I wonder if some one can Macgyver a way for us to do this on our boats while trailered?

Always wondered about a bad batch of gas in an airplane. Unfortunately its usually after im up in it...

At least a 3rd of the gas stations in my town supply 100% gasoline (no ethanol) as a premium option. Yes, it does cost more but it's an option.

At least a 3rd of the gas stations in my town supply 100% gasoline (no ethanol) as a premium option. Yes, it does cost more but it's an option.

I want to move to your town!! :mad:

I paid $4.32 a gallon for crappy E10 premium yesterday. Effing California bureaucrats. :banghead:

It's definitely a growing trend. One really had to search about 7 years ago. Gas stations seem to advertise it on the pumps pretty well so I think they're responding to consumers buying more of it.

Winters can be brutal here in Wisconsin. Be happy your probably getting a lot more time on the water per year than I, ignoring ice fishing of course :)

Holy S%*T @Glassman gas is $2.32 in Alabama! :eek:

Back