• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Getting kids into wakeboarding

penziol

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey all, I am thinking about getting our kids into wakeboarding this year. I have two boys (13 and 10). We tube and have a zup board and they really like it. I'm an over weight boat dad that has never wakeboarded before but used to water ski back in the day. So I'd love any advice on what to look for in boards and bindings and anything that would help make it more enjoyable for the boys starting out. The 13 year old wears a size 9 mens shoe, and the 10 year old is still in kids size 6. I am doubting they could fit into the same binding but again this is all new to me so fill me in.
Thanks
Paul

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My board has been used by kids as young as 8-9 years old. Yes it is too big for them, but they were eager and got up on it.

Having ONE kid on board who has done it before helps A LOT! Peer pressure and seeing it being done pushes the other kids to try, and to watch and learn.

I started mine on a trainer ski ... attached to the boat....they just hold on. Then my daughter wanted to move up to boarding. (in fact I still have that trainer ski....wasn't cheap....I should sell it to someone local!).

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd recommend getting on craigslist or fb marketplace ASAP and look for a package deal. Height will matter more than weight with board length, but you could get a boot/binding that will cover a 6-9 range if you're lucky. Great cheap way to get into the sport and hone in on the right setup.

Tlcaffall

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been wakeboarding since it was invented in the early 90's. All of my kids board. even though yours are older i suggest watching these videos, they really helped me learned how to teach newbies a lot better.

Key take aways:
learn to roll over in a pool
keep arms straight and butt close to the board

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check out my post near the end of this string.

fyi - I am a late learner, self taught but eventually with the help of a wakeboard trainer I was able to “teach” my son to wakeboard.

wakeboardhttps://jetboaters.net/threads/getting-kids-started.14791/#post-328815

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had skied but never rode a wakeboard. I watched some videos and got a wakeboard that was the right size for the kids. It took a little while to get them up but I realized most of the problem was me. Once I learned how to drive the boat to get them up they had no problems. We have taught many kids how to wake board. It is a great experience and kids really enjoy it. For me it was all about how to drive the boat to get them up.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had skied but never rode a wakeboard. I watched some videos and got a wakeboard that was the right size for the kids. It took a little while to get them up but I realized most of the problem was me. Once I learned how to drive the boat to get them up they had no problems. We have taught many kids how to wake board. It is a great experience and kids really enjoy it. For me it was all about how to drive the boat to get them up.
What suggestions do you have re: that initial pull? I worry that my little ones will just let go of the rope

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've started kids from a sitting position on a tube before....works well for the super beginners (you need to be able to leave the tube behind and come get it...I left an adult with it.). Also, REMEMBER - wake boarding is MUCH MUCH slower than skiing! DO NOT go too fast.....face planting on a board will be the fastest way to scare someone off from doing it again!

As for acceleration, a slow roll up to speed is what you want....not a water skiing FULL THROTTLE!

For older folks that know how to ski....getting up on a wake board can be a challenge.....I teach them what is called a "Pro Start" where the board is completely underwater....so much easier on the back...but takes some balance.

Markwest

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
The Shaun Murray Youtube lessons are really good and break it down well into small bite size lessons. Sitting my girls down and watching for 10 minutes worked - kept their interest. This will provide basics about the pull (arms straight, butt to board). Practicing in a pool is good, we also practiced 2 or 3 times once they jump fof the rear deck. Ususally this is a one time deal, once they get it, they get it.

Speed perspective, the slower the better, he will emphasize that as well. I pull anyone learning ~90-160lbs at around 12-13mph at the beginning, then move to 15mph when they can get up for a while.

Seems to be what the videos recommend. Others may have different speed preferences for beginners.