• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gotta hand it to our pilots on the forum

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everytime I see or hear that phrase "gotta hand it to.."

I think of the meme about short people...cause they can't reach it.

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thats why I fly helicopters, being able to land at zero airspeed is piece of mind. On the other hand, if the big fan stops spinning it would be a bad day.

Reactions: 007

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That looked like a B-787. The amount of uplift in the wings is very pronounced on that composite airplane, not to mention the blended winglets. I have memories of big crosswinds, they look more intimidating than they are, but regardless, they are a challenge. Google crosswind landings, you will see some real hair raising landings! It is the very gusty crosswinds that increase the pucker factor!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always got a kick out of watching the B-52's land crooked. It has to be a very strange feeling landing while not straight with the runway!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Y'all might have an even higher regard for Pilots, and what they endure & come through after watching this !

Enjoy ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always got a kick out of watching the B-52's land crooked. It has to be a very strange feeling landing while not straight with the runway!
I have been told by BUFF pilots that air-to-air refueling in them can be really harrowing.

This is largely due to the fact that the redundant hydraulic flight control systems make for so much slop that there can be a significant delay from control input to aircraft reaction...so, the pilot must, at least at times, make control inputs well before he wants the aircraft to react. Real pucker time doing this in buffeting conditions a stone's throw behind a KC-135 with 200,000 lbs of juice on board.

Old/bold balance aside - you long time pilots have brass ones. Cheers! (somewhat disappointed there wasn't a toasting-with-a-beer-stein-smiley to insert here)

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My Son has decided to become a Pilot, we're just starting to formulate a plan, get organized, etc. I think I'm more excited than he is at the idea of a Pilot in the family !
Still working on my punch list/questions for a couple folks here I've reached out to for advice.....Another Great Forum Perk !

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Y'all might have an even higher regard for Pilots, and what they endure & come through after watching this !

Enjoy ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Good video....pity they included the faked landing on a Nissan commercial....as it makes one wonder if other clips were altered.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The crosswind gusty landings are easy, it's listening to the uneducated passenger complain about the bumpy ride that's hard. When they complain about the rough ride or landing, I just say "You should have seen it from up here!"

Reactions: 007

dbrunone

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Crabbing into the wind is pretty standard (at least for us glider pilots), but you are supposed to straighten the plane on the flare a few feet off the ground, so you actually land straight. This usually works because wind shear causes lower wind velocities very close to the ground. Plus you want to avoid side-loading the main gear as much as possible.

Last edited:

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In fighter type jets you hold the crab until touchdown. Kind of weird at first, but then become natural. Going back to bigger airplanes that align in the flare was a weird change for me...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I thought I remembered watching a show that said B52s had Landing gear that rotated to allow a crab landing.....did I dream that?

I always thank and congratulate the pilots if they are there when I walk by the cockpit. Especially when it's windy!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Son has decided to become a Pilot, we're just starting to formulate a plan, get organized, etc. I think I'm more excited than he is at the idea of a Pilot in the family !
Still working on my punch list/questions for a couple folks here I've reached out to for advice.....Another Great Forum Perk !
A good friend of mine owns http://flycompassrose.com/?page=pageHome
In Wichita, KS. He is a great guy, very down to earth and awesome dude to just BS with, if you have any questions at all about the process or anything at all he would be more than happy to help, he loves the idea of young people getting into aviation.

I'll send you his personal number and email if you would like it.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought I remembered watching a show that said B52s had Landing gear that rotated to allow a crab landing.....did I dream that?
No, you didn't dream that. I recalled the same thing.

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/1285/is-the-main-landing-gear-of-a-large-airplane-designed-for-sideways-crabbed-tou

"An exceptional design is found in the B-52, where the main landing gear can rotated to be aligned with the direction of travel to deal with extreme crab angles."

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was stuck in traffic at rush hour watching 3 lines (there are 4 lines right now but I could only see 3) flying over the tollway east to west with their noses pointed northwest that day. Not usually a full stop in that area so I have to wonder if people were watching the planes crab over. Have to admit it is pretty cool to see like that. As a passenger it is really hard to spot unless you pay attention although it seems like they always find the runway with one of the back wheels then set the rest down.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good video....pity they included the faked landing on a Nissan commercial....as it makes one wonder if other clips were altered.
No doubt, the very first one looks fake as crap!

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
N41983.jpg

I always enjoyed cross-wind landings and minor turbulence in my Cherokee Warrior--much more fun than calm flying. Of course there is a limit when fun becomes terror...:eek:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@jawsf16 , not to worry...SWA is equipping their 737's with the new split scimitar winglet. You will be back to landing crooked in no time! The winglet won't let you "sideslip" to landing with the same amount of low wing into the wind that has been routine on the 737 fleet. Many pilots land large transport category airplanes with the crab still in at touchdown, you have to accept some crab beyond what you can take out with a slip profile. I don't know if the new winglet will change the crosswind landing limitation or not. Going from no winglet to standard winglet did change the maximum demonstrated (not AFM) crosswind limits from 36kts to 33kts of crosswind. I know were getting these winglets too but haven't seen them yet. Ask one of your buddies if it changed the x-wind limitations. You have to like a nice crosswind!