• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GPS/Chartplotter

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My Garmin 430S died last year....now I need to decide do I look for a comparable model so I can reuse the transponder pick up, or start over. The 430 had no issues in sunlight, but wasnt the most intuitive UI

(turned out it was just a blown fuse in my switch)

Last edited:

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is doubtful that you will find a newer unit that uses the transducer that matches up with your old 430S - better idea is to search ebay or craigs list for a new/used/reconditioned 430S

B_Mutter

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA

Hummingbird 788ci, works awesome in all light, GPS works great.
We are going to be installing a Garmin GPS/Radar unit on a new 242Ls and I have been trying to figure out a good mount for it. @Trm1765 where did you get your mount? I was thinking of something along those lines

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It is a universal Ram mount with the Hummingbird attachment. Here is a picture of the ball mounted to the side of the dash. I got it at Gander Mouintan.

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Radar - Seriously? I think you may be the first!

B_Mutter

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Thank you @Trm1765 ! That's exactly the picture I needed! Yes @RumDiet we are sending the boat to a local welder who is removing the wakeboard bit and welding a plate on the tower for the Garmin HD dome. Then it's back here to my shop to complete the install. It's going to be pretty cool and I will post pictures along the way!

duanepillar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I also have a 640 but because of the readability problems I have purchased aq 536 for the boat and keep the 640 in the car. I really liked the features and size of the 640 but you really can not see it in the sunlight. I don't think a hood would be all that much help either. The 536 is clear as can be.

McTafur

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use my note 3 phone with Navionics lake maps app. Use the I - bolt as the mount. Works great at a fraction of the cost.

McTafur

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yea, there is a bit but not too bad. It's a decent setup if you are not ready to spend a lot. App+holder is about $50