• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GTS 187 will not start

Karel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I have a GTS 187 that produced a check engine light after the first oil change. Nobody on the planet knows how to get rid of it and that includes the engine manufacturer.

Now the damm will not even start. its under warranty and the dealers has the boat now for two months and they struggling to fix the problem.

Anybody else experienced the same?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
where are you located? what dealership is working on your boat?

A couple of questions to help us narrow down possible trouble shooting ideas for you.

Your boat is a 2014, how long have you owned it? did you buy it brand new ? How many hours have you ran it before the oil change/engine light came on?

Does it crank at all? does it crank but not fire? does it stutter but not run?

Karel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
where are you located? what dealership is working on your boat?

A couple of questions to help us narrow down possible trouble shooting ideas for you.

Your boat is a 2014, how long have you owned it? did you buy it brand new ? How many hours have you ran it before the oil change/engine light came on?

Does it crank at all? does it crank but not fire? does it stutter but not run?

I am located in Miami FL. I bought the boat brand new at the Miami boat show from a dealer. I had the oil changed per the manufacturer recommendations at 20 hours. After the oil change the check engine light came on the mechanic could not clear the message as it was a new boat and no one had the software.

I took the boat to the dealer for a warranty issue and had them check it out and they too did not have the software to fix.

They told me to go ahead and run the boat until they get the software. Also during this time I found the boat very difficult to drive due to a heavy steering. They fixed the problem with some grease.
Btw it needs more grease again because it's heavy again.

Anyway, After taking the boat home we started experiencing starting problems.(motor will not turn, nothing happens. No starter rotation, just nothing) After 10 attempts it starts perfect without hesitation. Well, six months of doing this now it won't start, period. When you turn the key ,it beeps then nothing happens. It won't even try to turn the motor.

I returned to the boatshow earlier this year and tracked the engineer who designed the motor and he said he would help me becauase he believes it to be a computer issue. Just have the dealer call him.

Dealer has the boat now for two months and having issues as well. The engineer has been working with them. Yesterday they told me finally should have answers this week because they located a bad relay. I am skeptical. We will see this week if this does in fact fix the problem.

I live on a fresh water lake and the boat is babied and lives on a lift always out of the water. So I take care of it. My kids loves this machine and its part of the family. I am a pissed off Glastron owner.

Karel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length

Karel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length

Karel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Karel This doesn't sound like fun...hope the dealer and the tech can get it fixed for you. In the meantime, I'd write a nice letter to Glastron Management to light a fire under their butts!

The problem I found is that finding an address or who owns Glastron is a real challenge. It looks like it was bought by Beneteau Group, but their website doesn't list it. So perhaps it was sold to someone else?

I did find the following address on their legal page on their website...no idea if this is a valid address though!

Glastron Boats
925 Frisbie Street
Cadillac, MI 49601

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a bummer. I can't believe that it would take anywhere near that long. Sounds like a starter relay to me or a safety switch of some kind. The check engine light might not even be related to the non-starting issue at all. could it be just a maintenance reminder?

Anyway, I'm not really familiar with your exact set up. Hopefully somebody on here will have better info for you.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Are you dealing with an authorized Rotax dealer that has all the proper troubleshooting tools?
A bad relay or a bad breaker is unfortunately always a possibility.

Karel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
JetTech72,

You were 100% correct. It was a bad relay.
I finally got my boat back and it's running awesome.

However the "service required" message is back.
Any idea how to get rid of it?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm glad to hear your boat is working again, you've got an awesome place to use it,

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Unfortunately the only way would be to connect the Rotax Diagnostic Tools (BUDS), I'm guessing the maintenance counter needs to be reset.