• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Haloween Skiing

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
New(er) member here, thought I'd move over to this forum as another I had been on previously seems to be not working so well/had very little traffic to begin with...

We went out yesterday for our Halloween Ski. It wasn't too cold, maybe 42, and the water felt like it was around 50 or 60.
The water was ok with the 3/4 wetsuit (soaked in a cooler of hot water), but the cold air on our foreheads was unbearable. I liken the pain to what having your head in a vice must feel like, it was horrible. Before the next trip out I'm definitely getting a neoprene cap.

The water was decen t with not too much chop, and surprisingly there were no other boats to worry about on the lake.

BTW: Notice my Batman mask in the first photo (with cape). The second photo is of my Dad , who will be 69 in February.

Attachments

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@AboveTheBest very cool! (did ya see what I did there! LOL)

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us....yeah...that other site has gotten rather quiet.

Be sure to add your location to your profile...this will 1) put you on the map, 2) allow us to understand where you are when you post about skiing in the cold, and 3) allow nearby members to invite you to regional get togethers (joining usergroups is also a good idea).

You will find you LOVE the @ feature for calling other members attention to something, and there is a help option should you be stranded on the water and need help.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you survived the trip and decided to join us,

That looks like quite the crew in your avatar! Did any of them "accidently" fall in the water with you?

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Julian - I updated my location to my profile and also noticed the poll about sucking up a rope... I just did that for the first time yesterday. I think the cold took everyone's attention off the rope in the water. 1 hour later I had cut 50' of mainline off of the impeller (luckily I could do this all from the transom) and we were back in business with nothing broken.. except the rope. Looks like an excuse to buy a new rope for next season (and the remainder of this one).

Scott - For some reason none of the kids wanted to come out yesterday (only the two on the left are mine)... The wife drove for us though, and got on the boat looking like she should be snow skiing instead of water skiing.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow. Thought you meant something else. Here's what it looks like up by my Mom in the UP of Michigan this afternoon:

upload_2017-11-1_14-59-57.png

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That looks slightly colder... Might need more than a 3/4 suit for that.

I did go skiing once on January 2nd. The plan was New Year's Day, but something came up.
I think it was 34 that day with 42 degree water.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That looks slightly colder... Might need more than a 3/4 suit for that.

I did go skiing once on January 2nd. The plan was New Year's Day, but something came up.
I think it was 34 that day with 42 degree water.
Holy CRAP....talk about shrinkage!!!! I whine about water under 80 degrees.....LOL....I've turned into a total southerner! (I used to be in IL and boated in WI and Ontario primarily)

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the warm welcome all, I'm glad I found my way over here.

I've seen a day in the 70's coming on the 10-day forecast, and assuming its not raining I'm planning to get back out. I'm eager to ski every month this year, I'm hoping it doesn't turn out too painful.

One of the (many) joys of where I work is that we have a 900 acre lake, and my boat is dry-slipped there 2-miles from my office.
It makes lunchtime skiing on opportune days an awesome perk :)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New(er) member here, thought I'd move over to this forum as another I had been on previously seems to be not working so well/had very little traffic to begin with...

We went out yesterday for our Halloween Ski. It wasn't too cold, maybe 42, and the water felt like it was around 50 or 60.
The water was ok with the 3/4 wetsuit (soaked in a cooler of hot water), but the cold air on our foreheads was unbearable. I liken the pain to what having your head in a vice must feel like, it was horrible. Before the next trip out I'm definitely getting a neoprene cap.

The water was decen t with not too much chop, and surprisingly there were no other boats to worry about on the lake.

BTW: Notice my Batman mask in the first photo (with cape). The second photo is of my Dad , who will be 69 in February.
Hehe. Great pics. Welcome to the club!

This was me - a December (2015?) wakeboarding session behind my awesome 190!
And boy, was it cold (I think the picture says it all).
This year I'm hoping for a dry suit for Christmas, for some @buckbuck style action.
upload_2017-11-1_18-59-13.png

--

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That look Freezing!

I'm trying to find a full wetsuit before December, and I've been thinking of a dry suit potentially as well.

I can see the pain in your forehead in that photo. A neoprene cap is definitely getting purchased tonight.

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My coldest was in late March in Lake Superior when I was in college. Unusually early spring, ice pushed out on Tuesday we were skiing on Friday. Air temperature was around 70, water was mid 30’s. Plan was to start from the dock and get close enough to shore to coast in, driver didn’t get close enough so I ended up 20 feet short of shore and I got wet/extremely cold.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My coldest was in late March in Lake Superior when I was in college. Unusually early spring, ice pushed out on Tuesday we were skiing on Friday. Air temperature was around 70, water was mid 30’s. Plan was to start from the dock and get close enough to shore to coast in, driver didn’t get close enough so I ended up 20 feet short of shore and I got wet/extremely cold.
Curious where you went to school that was near Lake Superior (being someone who grew up a few miles from her shores).

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Curious where you went to school that was near Lake Superior (being someone who grew up a few miles from her shores).
Michigan Tech in Houghton!