• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone actually installed 7.7 speakers?

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Im looking at JL audio's 7.7 speakers to replace all 4 of the factory speakers, and add 2 to the swim platform (of coarse ill post a write up afterwards). My question is, has anyone done these before?? Im pretty sure they will fit (with some cutting), but wanted to know if anyone has been successful.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replaced my rear cabin factory speakers with the 7.7's. I widened the circle using a cutting bit on my Dremal. It was a piece of cake. I also added 2 more to the front of the cockpit (cut new holes). The bow and swim deck speakers I replaced with 6.5's. I regret not upgrading to the 7.7's on the swim deck, and intend to in the future. In my opinion they are FAR superior to the 6.5's. The bow speakers would be difficult, if possible at all. I don't think there is enough clearance to the cushion.

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Excellent video. That clears it up for me.

Im glad to hear that you see a big difference between the 6.5 and 7.7...that helps me make up my mind

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

__ScottyDont

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought so too, couldn't believe I found it when searching around! I wasn't sure about the 7.7 in my 210 as well with the size and all but this video definitely helped!

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I'm not one of those that automatically gives the 7.7" the nod in every system.
If you don't properly power the M series 7.7" then that's not an upgrade. They need a solid 100 watts minimum per speaker. More is even better. And there is a difference between an amplifier with a strictly regulated 100 watts per versus an unregulated 100 watts per.
I actually prefer the purity of the vocal midrange in the MX650 over the MX770. This is because I mainly listen to Classic Rock from an era all about midrange and vocals as opposed to more contemporary material.
If I have two pair of cockpit coaxials with a cockpit subwoofer then I'll choose the MX650 on balance. If I don't have a subwoofer or I am running just a single pair of cockpit coaxials in the cockpit then I'll opt for ther MX770 because my priority has shifted to surface area and a stronger midbass presence. Without a sub, the added midbass of the 7.7 is immediately apparent. With only one pair of cockpit coaxials and a sub, the warmer 7.7 provides a more seamless integration with the sub.
For a stand alone zone like the bow or exterior transom, neither will see much benefit from a cockpit subwoofer, so if space permits I would vote with the 7.7.

Bousbous55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I cou
WONDER IF THEY WILL FIT ON MY BOAT TO REPLACE THE FRONT 6.'5
l couldn't get the 7.7 to fit my 232, so I stayed with 6.5 in front and 7.7 in rear

Tdunne

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I did the full upgrade on my 2013 ar210... 3 pairs of jl audio 7.7" 1 pair of rev 8 wetsounds and 2-800 watt exile amps.... I increased the diam of the speaker cutouts using a smaller router/jig/router bit with the bearing on the top. My system is everything I thought it would be and then some! Although I have yet to christen the boat I enjoyed the clear sound and deep bass that it produced while sitting in my shop. Once on the open water I will determine weather or not I will add a sub. I actually added the amps before replacing the stock speakers, and just the amp upgrade made a huge difference... but then once I added the speakers and kicked on some ac/dc.... WOW is all I have to add.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am glad you chimed in David. Having listened to many of the setups your former shop has done, and going through the process with your influence and suggestions, I was nothing short of amazed with the performance of my MX650's alongside the single 10" IB sub. As you suggested, driven correctly with matching power, they just don't seem like a 6.5" speaker. And the vocals and mids are as you suggest, nothing short of exceptionally rich. And since useful storage space, and "time at play" are always going to be a factor, a balanced system with consideration to that up front is incredibly important.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im looking at JL audio's 7.7 speakers to replace all 4 of the factory speakers, and add 2 to the swim platform (of coarse ill post a write up afterwards). My question is, has anyone done these before?? Im pretty sure they will fit (with some cutting), but wanted to know if anyone has been successful.
I"think" I saw on YouTube Yamaha Rob did 7.7s