• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Haul Guage

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I got some snake oil for sale...

it’s got some good reviews on E trailer, but I would need to watch a video review or see it in person to understand how it works. It can’t be as simple as plugging into an OBD port and now it knows how much weight you have and where. Now your gonna make no go do some research, cause if it can work with minimal set up, then it may be something worth looking into for someone who hauls a lot, be it a can full, Bed full, trailer full or even a PRIUS full lol.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Huh....interesting. Never heard if it before, and makes me wonder if all the features would work with all vehicles (like those with auto leveling)

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ya..that’s a pretty broad statement. So it doesn’t actually calculate the weight, it’s just goes off of the vehicle sag and inputS or accelerator/Brake- I’d be curious to set a vehicle with weight and then see how much it says is in there.. and then do a similar vehicle. Let’s be honest, Max payload in a 1/2 ton doesn’t even feel like any payload in a 3/4 ton. I’m a little skeptical. But it’s definitely intriguing.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bearsar240

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been watching their videos and reading questions on their site. It was asked about auto level and self level air systems and it said in most instances it works. I don't get how they get weights from a torque converter but I'm no genius. It also uses pitch in the OBD module. Just curious if anyone out there used it. I tow a lot and from 5th wheel to the boat.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Different class vehicles are going to handle weights way different and even tear to year and trim to trim.. that’s a lot of testing lol

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bearsar240

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought a Haul Gauge for use with my travel trailer/RV; a fair number of RVers have bought it.

My results: mixed. I got a high number of failed readings, and when I got a number it was about 1 in 3 being in the ballpark (I already know my approximate weights). I called Haul Gauge for tech support, and they said keep trying to see if it improved. ***Then, they offered to and refunded my purchase price without me asking/suggesting; the refund came through the next day.

It seems to work well for many, and the risk is none (at least for me).

I have not spent any more time testing it, but I will eventually get around to it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The haul gauge is only $99 on Amazon, why not buy it, try it and return it if it turns out to be Junk?

Before anyone asks why I don’t do so it’s because I don’t need it since I only tow a boat and / or jet skis well within my vehicles’ limits and level as far as I can tell. I would just use the scale at the local dump if I was wanted to know what either weighed or what their tongue weight is.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The product is an Interesting idea. Will not be very accurate/precise and in some cases may be far off. For that device even how the driver drives is an x factor. Now if the vehicle had a series of strain gauges a device like this could get readings from those that would be far closer to what they are claiming. I am not aware of too many vehicles will strain gauges at this point in time.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
BLACK 3" Electric Turbocharger/Supercharger Cold Air Intake Generator Amazon.com: BLACK 3" Electric Turbocharger/Supercharger Cold Air Intake Generator: Automotive

Why worry about weight when you can just get this?!?!
You should watch the video from Cleetus McFarland. As hilarious as those things are he recently got a high output version to throw on one of their beater car just to see if it made any power and as a joke and they picked up close to 20 whp IIRC :D. It made like 5 psi lol!!

Edit - here's the vid

Another :D

I agree with others the haul device is a gimmick for most cases. You’re better off getting on of those hitches with the tongue weight gauge made into them. Of course you wouldn’t have bed payload but at least it would be an accurate measurement for tongue weight.

Last edited:

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@haknslash im actually a subscriber to ol’ Cleeter, bog deep!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should watch the video from Cleetus McFarland. As hilarious as those things are he recently got a high output version to throw on one of their beater car just to see if it made any power and as a joke and they picked up close to 20 whp IIRC :D. It made like 5 psi lol!!

Edit - here's the vid

Another :D

I agree with others the haul device is a gimmick for most cases. You’re better off getting on of those hitches with the tongue weight gauge made into them. Of course you wouldn’t have bed payload but at least it would be an accurate measurement for tongue weight.
I think this is simlar technology that one of the OEM's were using to help reduce turbo lag in a production vehicle. I can't remember for teh life of me which mfg it was now though.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The product is an Interesting idea. Will not be very accurate/precise and in some cases may be far off. For that device even how the driver drives is an x factor. Now if the vehicle had a series of strain gauges a device like this could get readings from those that would be far closer to what they are claiming. I am not aware of too many vehicles will strain gauges at this point in time.
Using accelerometers and gyroscopes can be quite accurate if done properly. The methodologies were developed to help spacecraft navigate in 3 dimensional space.

Remember the old "G-Tech Pro" devices that suctioned cupped to your windshield and would give you 0-6, 1/8th and 1/4mi times. Back before all of our handheld devices had these included, they were high tech devices. I tested one of those over about 10 vehicles, and found the largest error was about 10%, with cars in the 13-15sec 1/4mi range the most accurate. A 10sec truck and an 18sec car gave the most erroneous readings. Using this same premise, calculating the additional weight in a "before and after" test using full steam acceleration would be somewhat trivial. Beyond that though, all the lookup tables involved, and "adjustment factors" to account for all the different parameters would lead to excessive error IMO.

Looks like it will work, but I would question it's accuracy. I definitely question it's value. Getting weighed on a set of CAT scales at the local truck stop only costs a few bucks and some time to get it done. Far more accurate for less money.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Using accelerometers and gyroscopes can be quite accurate if done properly. The methodologies were developed to help spacecraft navigate in 3 dimensional space.

Remember the old "G-Tech Pro" devices that suctioned cupped to your windshield and would give you 0-6, 1/8th and 1/4mi times. Back before all of our handheld devices had these included, they were high tech devices. I tested one of those over about 10 vehicles, and found the largest error was about 10%, with cars in the 13-15sec 1/4mi range the most accurate. A 10sec truck and an 18sec car gave the most erroneous readings. Using this same premise, calculating the additional weight in a "before and after" test using full steam acceleration would be somewhat trivial. Beyond that though, all the lookup tables involved, and "adjustment factors" to account for all the different parameters would lead to excessive error IMO.

Looks like it will work, but I would question it's accuracy. I definitely question it's value. Getting weighed on a set of CAT scales at the local truck stop only costs a few bucks and some time to get it done. Far more accurate for less money.
I agree completely. Calculations can be made. Tires, tire pressure, fuel octane, wheel alignment, suspension wear, and so forth will impact accuracy. Getting the g force map for a given pull is easy. Getting the pitch and roll mapping for a given pull is easy. Computing down to within 10% of actual weight in the bed, on the tongue or being pulled will not be consistent across vehicles given all of the variables.

I recently had a payload with a known weight close to my rated limit. It did not squat my truck nearly as much as a yard of landscaping river rock I had hauled very short distance a few years ago. This tells me that the river rock was in excess of my rated payload and this is where something like this device may come in handy. It should probably display a range if it does not already. Using this to get tongue and trailer weight correct for trailer load distribution would however be a mistake IMO.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Using this to get tongue and trailer weight correct for trailer load distribution would however be a mistake IMO.
This....completely.....Not reliable enough to make safe decisions on.