• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hello from Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an 2008 Yamaha SX 230 HO. I love the boat from the point of view of its ride and handling, and the engines seem quite frugal. I live with the sun all year round and an ocean which is turquoise out to the barrier reef and dark blue beyond so its all year boating, no problem. Here if it quits you have to fix it yourself so in looking up a problem today I found an article by speedling which was worth its weight in gold! If that's anything to go on it makes another site pretty worthless.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, be sure to check out the FAQ section for LOTS of great tips to keep your boat running good,

How long have you had your boat?

With your boat I would suggest looking at the scupper valve replacement, be careful removing the #3 spark plug, many have reported it getting seized and if your fuel gauge doesn't work well it's an easy replacement,

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

I believe that @Julian just came back from Turks.

How did you boat get way down there? Did you drive her to Turks?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome @scopeusa and yes....I just returned from Providenciales (our 6 or 7th trip there)...we love it!!! Can't imagine what it would be like to live down there any be able to boat to all the smaller cays and snorkel and dive!!!!

Lets see some photos of a Yamaha in paradise!!!

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I retired down here 8 years ago from Devon, England. I purchased the boat new off the showroom floor at Barney's St Pete, Florida in February 2010 having had a 2006 for the previous 2 years as it was blindingly cheap! Although new I guess it was a reposed boat from a failed dealer in the 2008 crash. In a way its local as I have another home on Anna Maria Island Florida as I have had companies in Bradenton since 1994. I shipped the boat down on a container cargo vessel direct to Providenciales. I mainly love the boat as we have so many shallows that can be navigated with care that are not easy with an outboard and the handling and ride are good for a 23'. Just being careful not to suck sand into the engines! The boat does have issues, I removed my clean out tray and discovered that half of the retaining screws miss the fiberglass due to the butcher who hacked out the hole. The same goes for the dash, inexplicable for a company as big as Yamaha, quality control were obviously on vacation that week! Have they not heard of templates? The accent upholstery was in a sort of silvery grey crocodile vinyl. It lasted two years before the sun ate through to the backing. I used the old stuff for templates and rebuilt it with light grey proper marine vinyl, that was in 2012 it still looks great. What's the point of chintzy trim if it does not last. The raised Yamaha lettering on the side of the boat lasted 3 months before the salt got in and it started to delaminate. Why use excellent quality cleats and then used chromed alloy for hatch catches? Anyway the temperature rarely falls below 70 F even at night in the middle of winter. The best time to visit the islands is Christmas through the end of April where the temperature will hover around 78 - 82 F. @Julian if you come this way again give me a shout. If I am on Island and have the boat fixed we could take a day to go to North Caicos and Mudjin Harbor Middle Caicos.IMG_2567.JPG

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great shot! Is that Grace Bay?

Have you replaced the plastic scupper valve? That is what I just spent yesterday doing! I was doing it as preventative work....turns out mine was slightly cracked already!

I could fly down with the scupper wrench next fall....and would of course need to perform a water test with you!

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will have the port tray out later this week and see what things look like. I think I have seen that Attwood make a SS replacement that will fit. I can obtain many general parts from a large marine wholesaler, as I have known one of the bosses since 1988. For example a starboard Teleflex steering cable for a friend who has a 2005 AR was half the Yamaha price. As to the scupper wrenches I think I can make an open end one quit easily, what size is it? I doubt it needs much torque but moreover plenty of decent sealer.

The picture is Grace Bay just outside Ocean Club East. The attached picture is from Water Cay heading towards North Caicos
IMG_0306.JPG

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you in the security camera business? It's a long shot but I had to ask.

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No I was in digital telemetry and communications for 25 years, which was heavily interfaced with the security business but I am not sure that is what you asked……

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Are you the gentleman that contacted me on greenhulk by any chance? Trying to work on the phone and watch kids so I am a little crazy atm!
@scopeusa
That is how you tag people btw so you can go @Speedling and I get a notification right away!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The prices Yamaha charges for the Teleflex cables is outrageous! I needed one a couple of years ago for the reverse gate and called my local dealer and they wanted more than Yamaha's OEM MSRP (something like $200-250 for one cable). I was in a hurry, but not that much of a hurry. I ordered 2 cables for ~$160 online!

Yes...the Attwood scupper is what you seek. The FAQ has a link to all the info you should need including part numbers:

https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-to-replace-a-broken-or-waiting-to-break-plastic-scupper.113/

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

scopeusa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Expensive you bet, but when you take into account that there is no income tax, no capitol gains, no property tax, no tax on your estate when you kick the bucket, then you can actually get paid to live here.

I live in Leeward on the canals at the east end of the island next to Water Cay. The boat is kept on a lift at the bottom of my garden, except for when I travel and that is very frequent. It is then trailered to my workshop at South Dock.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Lextacy03

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys talked me into it. Sign me up for my portion.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'm in! @scopeusa , I had the exact same boat and sold it to @Suchawittygal and @DawgDaze . What a beautiful location and pic. I have flown in and out of there numerous times but not lately. As to the gigs and computerized manufacturing my Yamaha, they were so much better than most builders in '08 but not as good as others. Today, based on my '12 SX240, they are far better. Even the interior fiberglass is much less rough. My recommendation on the clean out tray, is to remove the silicone and replace the tray using a rubber or vinyl gasket so you can get in and out easily. Also, on salt water, I would recommend you replace all non stainless hose clamps. Yamahas use of lower quality stainless for interior and exterior fittings is a known issue. I think the price point they have targeted in the past caused most of that. The difference I see between the '08 and '12 models is amazing, and suspect they have even upped their game in the last 3 years. Hopefully you can replace the parts that need attention and use more boeshield on the rest. Glad to have you on board!