• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hello, has Yamaha solved the tower problem on the ‘19 AR240?

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
We live on a lake so we won’t be pounding thru big waves but I’d like to know I don’t have to worry about the tower failing.
I’m shopping for 19/20 AR and 19 Limited S.
Thanks, Rick

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The AR 240 still uses the same single threaded screw in handle to secure both sides of the tower. For the tower to fall, both sides have to back out completely. If you check these regularly you won't have an issue. The LS uses the Pin from the side approach on both sides-a better approach, but still not fool proof, but still requires both sides to come out-which would be unusual.

I wouldn't hesitate from buying either - just check the pins each time you go out....pretty simple to do, and not something you need to stand on your head to do....they are right there-easy grab and visible.

Magyar86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
After reading that the knobs back out I just put a hand on them every so often while we are out and about. I also tell whoever is sitting closest to them to check them. I did find that at first they backed out every so often. But now that I have been putting constant torque and put them tighter than I did at first they don’t seem to ever be loose when I check them now. Maybe I just wasn’t putting enough tq on them because I was scared of stripping or breaking something but they seem to be able to handle the extra torque fine and aren’t backing out.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My are never loose, but I still check em half way thru the day. I'm more concerned about cross threading them so use due care.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't realize Yamaha AR240 had a tower problem. One documented failure in my mind doesn't equal a problem. However I check my Ar240 every time out and never had to tighten them and I have been in the ocean.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s just not an optimal design. This is my 3rd summer with the ar240 and I never checked the bolts until the bimini crossing incident whenever that was. Last summer I would get a slight turn occasionally but this summer it’s rare to have any slack and even then it’s negligible. Not sure why it stays snug now but I don’t worry about it and don’t think it’s worth swaying a purchase decision.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn't realize Yamaha AR240 had a tower problem. One documented failure in my mind doesn't equal a problem. However I check my Ar240 every time out and never had to tighten them and I have been in the ocean.
One documented failure with injuries. There have been more complaints about the screws coming loose.

The good news is that most of us do not have the proper spherical male anatomy to put the boat under such a stress that the screws will fail within 24 hours of tightening.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One incident w/complete failure; instances of those bolts loosening up are pretty common though, I would keep an eye on those for sure, lol.

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing to remember is that anything mechanical can fail. So periodically checking the wheel bolts is a good thing.
Mine have never came loose and I've been in very rough conditions.
And I have had my tower lowered a half dozen times.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely have to watch out for accidental cross-threading, it's a very easy thing to do. The knobs may feel tight when they actually aren't and may only be grabbing by a very few threads. This would make them relatively easy to pull out and cause the tower to fall unexpectedly. Especially when running hard in rough water. I also, like some of the others, check the knobs once in a while to be sure they're tight.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My AR tower goes up and down each time I park it and pull it out. I raise and lower it myself. I've never had an incident where I've noticed one loosen. I have however forgotten to put one in and driven around the lake with a single bolt... I think they're fine, but should be checked from time to time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My AR tower goes up and down each time I park it and pull it out. I raise and lower it myself. I've never had an incident where I've noticed one loosen. I have however forgotten to put one in and driven around the lake with a single bolt... I think they're fine, but should be checked from time to time.
Same here. Mine goes up/down twice per outing. Once on the way out of the garage, once on the way back in. I've driven to the lake a few times with only one in place.

We've been over this 101 different ways to Sunday. Strength of connection is not a problem, and neither is the mechanism in general. The problems are with the ease at which the threads can be damaged, and how easily the bolts can back out if not properly tightened. The first problem makes the second worse. If your threads get damaged, then those bolts will back out quickly and easily with normal use vibration. With good threads in place, and adequate tightening it's an acceptable system. Yamaha does a really poor job of alerting the customer to this particular danger, and doesn't stand behind the failure if it happens, which is shitty of them IMO.

If you don't have to take the tower up/down often, @swatski has a method that will lock those bolts in place and eliminate 99% of the concern. If you DO take the tower up/down often, then watching those threads carefully during engagement to prevent fouling is IMPERATIVE. That should be followed up frequent checks throughout the day on the tightness of those hand bolts.

@ourlee I would not let the AR tower design keep you from getting the boat if you like it otherwise. Checking the tower is just like any other number of processes/procedures/habits you develop around boating safely. I'm confident enough in the safety of the design that I hang my toddler from it in a swing on a regular basis, the 8yr old uses it like monkey bars, and I sleep under it with my hammock from time to time. It's a safe design, with the caveat that it requires more attention than it should.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I fully understand that there are very few boats with the issue and out of those even fewer suffer a catastrophic failure, but my kids like to sit right underneath of it will land.

It is not that will prevent me from buying an AR240, but rather have some sort of fail safe mechanism installed.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Dumb suggestion but perhaps some teflon tape on the threads might prevent them from backing out so easy??????

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t lower the tower very often, but when I do I use duck tape!!!!

@Evil Sports I could not resist

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dumb suggestion but perhaps some teflon tape on the threads might prevent them from backing out so easy??????
There is a product I've used in Aerospace before that works well. It's called Vibra-Tite, and is made for screws to be inserted/removed a few times between applications and works like a Loctite of sorts, but without the actual sealing/glueing action of a Loctite style thread locker. It's a sticky/gummy mess though, and I've not used it because of that. It does add SIGNIFICANT running torque (the turning force required to thread before any clamping begins) to the assembly, and helps hold bolts in place under extreme vibration conditions.