• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Helm Wheel Turn Revolutions

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have an open thread under the SX195 model tab and am having issues with my steering locking up. Sitting at work thinking, I was able to free the steering wheel from center to the right, but back at center, I cannot turn the wheel to the left as it feels like its hitting a positive stop as if the wheel is fully turned into a port turn. How many revolutions should the wheel turn from rudder center to a full wheel stop? Im wondering if the steering cable at the helm gear box moved, causing the rudder to be center (straight) but in the wheel full "left" turn position, and I can turn multiple revolutions on the helm right, but when going back the wheel stops rudder center but positive stop the wheel full left? This may read very confusing, but in my head, makes sense.... ?

1652201863967.png

On all the boats (except those with power steering - iDrive paddle controls) the steering is roughly one revolution each direction...perhaps a little less. So yes, it sounds almost like your steering "rack" is offset to one side.....

Last edited:
That sounds like a good place to start. If I remember correctly, I had roughly 3 full revolutions until the wheel stopped at full right turn. I called the dealer, they said the steering is not a "warranty item" from Yamaha as its a wearable part. I'm at less than 30hrs! Trying to self diagnose and repair with some Polish engineering.
1652210689472.png

I do not believe the 19 foot boats have a rack and pinion helm I know the newer twin engine boats do and they turn about 1 full turn from full right to full left with the nozzles disconnected with the nozzles centered and connected they have about 1/2 turn from center for a full right to a full left, the non rack and pinion would only travel half of that distance so 1/4 turn from center for a full right or a full left, should be how your wheel operates. so I would get the helm all the way to one side and mark it with some tape, turn it the opposite way until it stops while counting the rotations, if it goes more that 1 and then go back half way and stop, mark it with tape and then readjust the cable to the nozzle with the nozzle centered.
Now there is one more kink in the armor also check the nozzle and rudder travel while it is disconnected from the cable if you still have the movement restriction even with the steering cable disconnected you may have damage to the rudder pivot rod and it is restricting the rudders movement causing you to think it is the cable. I have been hearing that this pin does get damaged on impact with the ground but usually it breaks the mount. In any case this process should narrow down the problem.

Attachments

• broken rudder on 19 foot boat (2).jpg
    broken rudder on 19 foot boat (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Just FYI - my steering is exactly 1.5 turns lock to lock. From center it's exactly 3/4 turn max port or strb.

yes you have a rack and pinion

@212s
Thank you for the revolution information. I think I have something loose under the dash as I think I have multiple revolutions on the wheel. I plan to grab the boat from strange Saturday afternoon when the temp drops below 90 degrees and start looking around.

@cobrajet
I believe you are right as the "new" steering system looks to be more like a rack and pinion as the steering cable comes in the side and slides left to right opposed to the previous generation where the cable comes in from the bottom and moves up and down.

The photo below looks the the previous generation
1652355081025.png

The photo below looks to be more of what I have on my 2022
1652355892425.png

Just a thought I still believe it is the helm because I seriously doubt a stock steering cable would have enough free cable to allow the helm to move 3 full turns in either direction, It just does not have that much extra length on the inner cable to allow for that much travel if your center gear on the helm popped the pin or key ,whatever is securing it to the center shaft it would do what you are describing haaaa I was typing this and drinking my coffee at the same time you were posting so it does have a rack and pinion and if the parts are loose it may have worn something or dislodged something.

looks like they changed to a rack and pinion in 2019

Back