• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help!! 242x won't go into neutral

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
we were anchored and floating for an hour or so and when we went to leave the engines said check engine and both motors are in forward. Can't get neutral or reverse. Just shut batteries off hoping for some type of reset.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian isn't there a way to set the throttles to manual mode?

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
You probably have some small pebbles in your thrust gates.. just tap on them lightly with somethibg while someobe else is jiggling your throttle handles.. it will clear right out.

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You probably have some small pebbles in your thrust gates.. just tap on them lightly with somethibg while someobe else is jiggling your throttle handles.. it will clear right out.
On an e series as well

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Hana. I suspect you have foreign material jamming your buckets. You should inspect them. You may be able to shake them up & down to remove the stone or debris causing them to be stuck. DON'T try to force the throttle levers as you may snap a cable.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While possible. . . .remember on the newer models these are fly by wire/electronically controlled gates.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I guess i don't know that the newer model are different.. i still bet somethibg small is in the gates and i would jiggle them however i could.. it usually isn't very much or anything very big.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jiggling the throttles will not do anything for the electric throttled X series.

The most likely problem is something blocking movement of the reverse bucket. Put the throttles in forward with the engine off then jump in and have a look.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Jiggle the buckets. Tap on them lightly with a hard object... not to hard.. just a jiggle..

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok guys , got it fixed. Thanks for all the responses. On an e series there are switches on the throttle servos to put it in "manual " or "electronic". If the buckets are not both up it goes into limp mode. To fix it flip the switches to manual and raise both buckets, while holding the buckets up flip the switches back to electronic. And that's it fixed! Thanks again guys!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was wondering when we would see this. Feel around the gates and see if you can feel anything lodged in them and try and remove. If not I would check down by where the hydraulics are that move the gates and make sure nothing became disconnected.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok guys , got it fixed. Thanks for all the responses. On an e series there are switches on the throttle servos to put it in "manual " or "electronic". If the buckets are not both up it goes into limp mode. To fix it flip the switches to manual and raise both buckets, while holding the buckets up flip the switches back to electronic. And that's it fixed! Thanks again guys!!
What was the cause, do you know? was there something jamming those buckets? both sides?

--

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What was the cause, do you know? was there something jamming those buckets? both sides?

--
Not sure what the cause was, nothing was lodged in the buckets. My son noticed that the starboard engine's bucket was slightly lower than the port before we launched. I thought that the starboard throttle may have been bumped into reverse before we shut it off the last time we were out. I don't think that was the case, still not sure the cause just glad we were able to remedy it.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How did you figure this out?

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How did you figure this out?
I work on cars for living and hate to have my vehicles worked on by anyone else. There are lots of capable techs out there but I love knowing not only how things work but also what has been done to them. I just started to deduce step by step what could possibly make the motors go into limp mode. I pulled the cover off of the bucket servos to see if something could have gone wrong that I could easily see, that is when I saw the switches to go from electronic to manual. After seeing this I hoped in the water and discovered one bucket down and the other up.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The only other reason I've run into for this is that the batteries were both nearly dead and below min charge. I was able to start the engines, but the Connext screen wanted more voltage. So I sat there with the engines running til I charged the batteries more (this was when my boat had a power drain issue...never happened again once they fixed the wiring problem).

Jiggling the throttles on an E-Series does nothing....they are not connected to the buckets directly, but rather by wire.

I've not had to do this, but I was under the impression that you could raise and lower the buckets manually from the servo motor location? I knew there was a manual over ride under there....@Hana is that not the case?

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The only other reason I've run into for this is that the batteries were both nearly dead and below min charge. I was able to start the engines, but the Connext screen wanted more voltage. So I sat there with the engines running til I charged the batteries more (this was when my boat had a power drain issue...never happened again once they fixed the wiring problem).

Jiggling the throttles on an E-Series does nothing....they are not connected to the buckets directly, but rather by wire.

I've not had to do this, but I was under the impression that you could raise and lower the buckets manually from the servo motor location? I knew there was a manual over ride under there....@Hana is that not the case?
You can't move them manually from the servos because the cable goes into the box. Once you flip the switches to manual you can move the buckets freely.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've noticed the buckets seem to usually open (forward) or stay partially down (neutral) after shutdown when I've definitely turned them off in neutral. I guess if you power up and they don't reset to neutral it generates an error? (Now you've got me concerned about mine that sometimes stay in the neutral position!)

Hana

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've noticed the buckets seem to usually open (forward) or stay partially down (neutral) after shutdown when I've definitely turned them off in neutral. I guess if you power up and they don't reset to neutral it generates an error? (Now you've got me concerned about mine that sometimes stay in the neutral position!)
I'm leaning more towards the battery voltage being low. I had been anchored for awhile. The engines did start but I probably should have let them run to recharge the batteries. And yes it does give a check engine.