• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help me Decide ar190/5 vs ar240

Get the 19 footer or 24 footer

• Total voters

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So here is the situation. Currently own a fx svho cruiser and decided soon that I would like to add a boat to get more people on the lake at the same time. Boat will be primarily on lake lanier here which is a rather large lake. Ive seen both the ar 190s and 195s in person along with the ar240 and my situation is that my garage is barely large enough to fit the 19 footers in. Is it worth getting the ar 240 if it will be outside by the garage since I live in a neighborhood with no HOA or are the elements so destructive that its better to get the smaller boat and have it indoors. The boat will primarily be used for me and my wife and some friends with their small kids. So 4 adults and like 2 smaller kids. Price difference is not the issue its more of is it better to get the bigger boat but keep it outside vs get the smaller boat that can be kept indoors?

Thanks guys

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Since you don't have an HOA have you considered a carport or portable awning? Something like this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/arrow-storage-products-12-ft-x-20-ft-carport-1239635?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1239635&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-Pm1vP-f3QIViYWzCh2DHgFbEAQYASABEgKebPD_BwE

The detached metal covered carports for RV's and equipment are not super expensive. My parents recently had one custom built for their new 5th wheel RV plus had nice gravel and rail road ties to control water egress and it didn't cost them too much. Better than letting a boat sit exposed outside even if you use a boat cover it won't protect it entirely.

You mentioned you'll be taking out your family, plus friends and their kids so yea you're going to need the bigger boat. 4 adults on a 19' is totally fine but 4 adults + kids + gear + coolers + any additional friends or kids and it can get crowded quickly.

Go for the biggest boat you can afford. With no HOA you're golden and I'm jealous.

Last edited:

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can't speak to the elements (not old enough to have killed a boat by the sun yet).

But having said that, we definitely loved our AR190 and thought it had a great deal of space, but when we bumped to the 212x it really is a whole different experience with the extra bow space and twin engines.

There are a million details and use cases that could push you one way or another, and for use we decided to go up one size even though it will probably live outside year round.

Both the 190 and 212 will fit in Our storage if they need to, but the 212 would be a much bigger project to make it fit. For us, winter is cold and the sun is weak so we will likely cover her up and let her ride it out, because it's so cold and dry moisture isn't an issue.

You however are in a totally different environment, I imagine weather is meaner to our babies in Georgia.

To put it in perspective, there are few better places to hunt down classic cars than Saskatchewan because, even left to fend for themselves, the dry weather and comparably weak sun help them survive in the wild far better than nearly anywhere else in the world.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bigger boat, that is kept outside. If you buy the Yamaha Premium Mooring cover (to keep sun and rain elements at bay) and you live in an area that is not highly distructive to outdoor storage, it is a no brainer imo.

Since the cost differences are not a primary concern, I think bigger is better. By the time I get 6 on my 24’ boat I start to feel claustrophobic. I could be much more efficient with my cooler, food and play toy space optimization, but I kind of like my guests to feel at home with bringing the stuff they like to have with them and finding a decent place to store it. Hence I typically have 3 coolers, 3-4 food bags, 5-6 beach chairs and a bunch of guest sundries.

I’ve been having the “move down to a 21 footer” musings of late, but 2 days of recent holiday boating (with 6 people) and I am sure 24’ is the right format for parties of 6, if the captain is reasonably hands off with the boat space organization.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy your 2nd boat first. . . . If you are even remotely contemplating the AR240, get it. The AR190/5 series just doesn't compare.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My garage was too short. We were fortunate enough to have the option of adding a side drive with metal awning. People will leave these out in the elements, but I'd want to protect my brand new boat somehow.
20170701_125320.jpg

Love my 240! I would have instantly been wishing for bigger had I bought a 19', but I'm content with what I've got.

Last edited:

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you’re already between a 19 and 24, go 24.

RFoster130

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
No way would i leave it outside. I let my old sea doo 200 outside for 2 summers before i sold it. the sun destroyed it. It faded bad, and it pretty much ate up the $500 cover. If some type of carport is an option, id always choose the bigger boat.

Ian Andrews

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So here is the situation. Currently own a fx svho cruiser and decided soon that I would like to add a boat to get more people on the lake at the same time. Boat will be primarily on lake lanier here which is a rather large lake. Ive seen both the ar 190s and 195s in person along with the ar240 and my situation is that my garage is barely large enough to fit the 19 footers in. Is it worth getting the ar 240 if it will be outside by the garage since I live in a neighborhood with no HOA or are the elements so destructive that its better to get the smaller boat and have it indoors. The boat will primarily be used for me and my wife and some friends with their small kids. So 4 adults and like 2 smaller kids. Price difference is not the issue its more of is it better to get the bigger boat but keep it outside vs get the smaller boat that can be kept indoors?

Thanks guys
I was in the same position. I had a FX Cruiser HO and was looking to be able to stretch out more while on the lake. Typically it is just me and my wife. We have a place at our campground to store the boat under a carport like shelter during the winter (Salmon Arm BC) but it is 20 feet long. As much as I think bigger is better too big is an issue.
Also parking the boat on a daily basis while I’m using the campsite is also an important factor. I went with a AR195.
If my older kids want to buy a bigger boat to ski Have at it.
I can also pull the boat behind my truck camper without exceeding my payload capacity.
Bottom line look at the pros and cons and choose wisely.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went the other way. Showed up at the dealership looking for a 240, came home with a 190.

For us, it was storage and cost of ownership. Not just purchase price, but total cost of operation. Storage, Fuel, Towing, Etc. If you have the cost covered than those factors are out. Storage is the only concern. What @J-RAD has is PERFECT imo for on site boat storage. Without an HOA, the cost to build a small patio/drive like that will quickly cover the cost of offsite storage. We got quotes between 180-250/mo for off-site covered storage. We have an HOA that won't allow building additions that aren't fully walled and don't match the house. Since we have a larger brick home, this was cost prohibitive for us. This also factored into total cost of ownership; we didn't want to take on another $200/mo in cost just to own the boat. So the 190 came home, and lives in the garage.

Here it is being used as a drying rack after a rainstorm our first season;
dryingrack.jpg

Also.....Having the boat at home as compared to offsite storage is SOOOOOOO much more convenient. Our last boat was stored at a relatives barn about 10 miles away from us. It wasn't bad, but this is better. I can go monkey with/fix/repair/mod/measure the boat whenever I have a few minutes. That convenience is worth a lot.

SO......to answer your questions @AJACHIM ......If I was in your shoes I would buy the AR240 and try to negotiatie the nicest cover I could get in the deal. Then over the next season or so, build a carport and sun shade like @J-RAD has.

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks for the answers guys. I have 2 garages currently, built one for the wave runner early this year and I'm kicking myself for not building it bigger. Could always add a carport off of it I suppose just like @J-RAD did.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks for the answers guys. I have 2 garages currently, built one for the wave runner early this year and I'm kicking myself for not building it bigger. Could always add a carport off of it I suppose just like @J-RAD did.
What's another few thousand when your spending $57k...? Lol!

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A 19' on Lanier is going to be rough. Swells on a jet ski are an opportunity but in a boat its a different story. Unless you don't plan to be out on weekends I would go for something bigger. A 212 might be okay, 240 is better.

If you are looking at Park Marine, talk to Rick out of Port Royale marina. He was our sales guy and was pretty helpful. If you can hold out, wait till the boat show (January?) and you will see some nice discounts on last years model. You might be able to get some discount now. With previous year model at the boat show, you should be getting 5 year YES warranty and the mooring cover.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Getting a 19' boat in and out of a garage is not always a simple feat....consider that.

I'd go 24...buy your 2nd boat first. It will be a lot more comfortable and take the chop on Lake Lanier much better. Keep the shipping cover for use during the winter, and/or look for cheap winter indoor storage. I'd also look for a slip or rack storage on Lake Lanier.....love having my boat ready to go anytime with no towing etc.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
boats sitting outside make me sad.

My run-o-the-mill bowrider is 14 yrs old and the interior is still mostly new looking. Its a little chore to get it in and out, but Iv'e done it enough, now it only takes me a few minutes.

Conversely, my neighbor has a boat 4 yrs older, leaves it under a tree. Sometimes covered sometimes not... its a faded pile of junk. We've owned them about the same amount of time.

I wont own one I cant fit indoors or at LEAST be covered.