• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help me understand where the multiple drain plugs lead to

Berberman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2022 AR210 here.
Breaking in the engines, on a calm lake, going fairly slow and under 5000 rpms for about an hour, I noticed a good 3 inches of water in the ski locker by the time i got back. None in the engine compartment. When the ski locker is taking on water while under way, which drain plugs do you open to get it evacuated? Also, do you ride with some plugs open?

Help me understand how the water makes its way out of the boat.
a- I have (to be verified as I have not really looked) 1 drain plug in the anchor locker (right?)
b- 1 drain plug in the ski locker
c- 2 drain plugs in the engine compartment
d- and finally 1 drain plug at the back of the boat (by the articulating keel between the two buckets)

Last edited:
From 2018 service manual. I’m not aware of any material design changes.

If your plug on the locker was in then the only way for water to get in ther would be through the hatch.

5F0165C8-AA5F-48E1-8D31-CA193ECA04EB.jpeg

2022 AR210 here.
Breaking in the engines, on a calm lake, going fairly slow and under 5000 rpms for about an hour, I noticed a good 3 inches of water in the ski locker by the time i got back. None in the engine compartment. When the ski locker is taking on water while under way, which drain plugs do you open to get it evacuated? Also, do you ride with some plugs open?

a- I have (to be verified as I have not really looked) 1 drain plug in the anchor locker (right?)
d- and finally 1 drain plug at the back of the boat (by the articulating keel between the two buckets)

a. Anchor locker drains out of the hull.
b. Ski locker drains back to the bilge area
c. Engine compartment drains to the bilge area
d. back of the boat drain, drains the bilge area outside the boat.

This would give you more info. https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha/boats/2020/ar210-lbt1050av/deck-drain-fittings

Last edited:
I leave all the plugs open so everything drains to the bilge. I’m sure there are other methods. My concern would be how all that water got in your boat. Do you know?

2022 AR210 here.

How many people in the bow while driving at no wake speed?

There's no plug in the anchor locker. The pic above shows all 4 plugs. Some people have water intrusion via the anchor locker "over-board" drain which might be an issue. The ski locker has a gasket seal and shouldn't take on any water unless your locker drain is open and water from the bilge is pushing up.

Note that all drain plugs should be in during operation so water is contained to the bilge, and open when it's trailered or stored to allow it to vent and dry. If water comes over the bow from a big wave (we've done it) it should drain out via the "self bailing cockpit" drain which is centered right in front of the engine compartment on the floor. There's water channels around the ski locker and under the fuel tank hatch to direct water out that way. When we hit a 3ft wake from a yacht passing by we took a big wave over the bow which soaked us sitting in the cockpit. After we stopped laughing, I looked for water and it was all gone, just damp mats. My ski locker was bone dry. Boating is fun!
:D

Agree to the "all plugs in and tight" while under way. Water washing onto the deck will make its way to the gravity drain(s) and out to sea. Once on land open plugs and drain. Dont forget to tighten the drain plugs all the way tight. On my boat even a little open slack will creep water into the bilge after a full day at sea.

I’m not sure if the other boats are this way but I also remember a plug inside the engine compartment and fuel compartment on my AR192. I had an issue where I could not get water to drain out of the ski locker despite having the plug open and nothing obstructing the hole. It wasn’t until I opened the drain plug in the engine compartment and fuel compartment that would allow the water to pass from the ski locker. From there it dumped down into the bilge hole where the pump was. It was like they were all linked which is strange but whatever that’s the only way I could get all or most of the water out of the boat. I was surprised how much was trapped in there after years. Might be different on other boats but worth a look.

Last edited:
I leave all the plugs open so everything drains to the bilge. I’m sure there are other methods. My concern would be how all that water got in your boat. Do you know?
I’m not sure if the other boats are this way but I also remember a plug inside the engine compartment and fuel compartment on my AR192. I had an issue where I could not get water to drain out of the ski locker despite having the plug open and nothing obstructing the hole. It wasn’t until I opened the drain plug in the engine compartment and fuel compartment that would allow the water to pass from the ski locker. From there it dumped down into the bilge hole where the pump was. It was like they were all linked which is strange but whatever that’s the only way I could get all or most of the water out of the boat. I was surprised how much was trapped in there after years. Might be different on other boats but worth a look. I also remember
That’s how I see it also. My dealer told me to keep them all open, so that’s where I get that from. It works for me at least. I need to clarify my first comment above though. I don’t keep “plug d” open while boating.

I'm in the 'all plugs open except the important one' camp. If I have water in a compartment, I want it moving to the bilge and getting pumped overboard.

On my 2021 the Ski Locker doesn't even have a plug, just a drain. There is also a drain plug on the wall between the engine compartment and the fuel compartment which I keep open.

Back