• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help motor concern

Mikem268

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been using my 2005 ar230 all summer and recently one motor want start in the water but runs fine out of water with the water hooked up to it any ideas has new plugs and was serviced right before summer

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mikem268

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Would moving the coils from engine to another verify this or just do a compression test on the cylinders

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully it's not a compression problem. I don't know how many times you put the boat in/out of the water to test it but it might have nothing to do with being in the water. Does it crank? Could also be an electrical issue like the safety cutoff switch or the clean out plug hatch switch.

That being said, if you're going to pull the coils you might as well check the compression while you are there. You can get an inexpensive set from Harbor Freight or you can borrow one for free from Advance Auto.

Mikem268

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It will start out of the water with water hooked to it but as soon as I put it in the water it just spins over and want fire. My right motor starts and runs fine the left motor is having the problem only in the water

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pull all 4 plugs
Remove lanyard
Push fast neutral button
Apply full throttle
Hook up compression gauge
Crank for 2-5 seconds until the pressure doesn't go up.
Release the pressure
Repeat test at least once per cylinder.
Post results.
30 minutes max and that includes uncovering and covering.
Not a bad idea to spend $20 and put new plugs in.
If one cylinder is low, add a few mL oil and retest to see if it's the valves or rings.

Mikem268

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just tested each cylinder was 170 except one at 110 poured oil in the cylinder retest changed to 115 almost any suggestions

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let me guess, number 3 was low? It sounds exactly like what happened to me. If so, it's bad exhaust valves and seats.
yamaha2.jpg
20180525_203420.jpg
You could try to start it with the neutral button and enough throttle to minimize vacuum during cranking and finish off the season.

Mikem268

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what cylinder this was it’s the first one on the motor facing the cabin
Are there valve adjustments on these motors
Thanks for all the help

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's some YouTube video of someone with an accent using SeaFoam to clean up the valve train... May be worth watching.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's number 1. There are valve shims. You need to remove the valve cover and rotate to tdc, then buy thin feeler gauges. Measure all the them and compare to the specs. If they are oos, then pull the cams, lift the little cup thing, measure the shim, then determine what thickness shim you need to get you back in spec. Pita. The machine shop charged me 200 bucks and i was stoked i didn't have to do it!
Here is the head with no cams. The shims are under those shiny cups.
20170311_130135.jpg

I rotate the engine with the valve cover off here.