• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help on dealer quote - First Time buyer 2018 Yamaha Jet boat

Tb FTL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello All,

Been reading and enjoying the information on this forum so I appreciate all this knowledge in one place! I need your advice before I pull the trigger.

I was considering center consoles etc made for longer range, deeper water etc but wife and young kids like the feel of this better than everything else they saw. Entertainment galore. They like the idea of cruising the intracoastal and sandbars.. And me too if that gets me into a boat!

Looking at this jet boat and need some honest feedback for pricing. Understand market demand and all (S. Fl intracoastal is home) but I like to believe that I'm getting a good, solid deal on any purchase I make (real or perceived)..

Any thoughts on the attached quote for 2018 Yamaha Limited 242 S E series? If they stick with price, any negotitiating options for add ons or service or sound system??

Direct link to boat here: https://rivasuperstore.com/Power-Boats-Inboard-Yamaha-242-Limited-S-E-Series-2019-Pompano-Beach-FL-c9ccbdc0-5649-48bf-a927-a197001dded4

Thank you for any input.

TB FTL

Attachments

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you are willing to go north in December, January or even February you might be able to save a few more dollars, if you can't wait and are closer to this 2019 is not a bad price for 66k. You might want to take a look in boat trader i believe i saw one new for 59K last week. Good luck and congratulations on your feuture boat.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The one i saw for 59k is gone but this one is still a good deal at 60k good luck.

Tb FTL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mike thank you so much for looking and your comments. Would like to do sooner rather than later. We are thinking of staying home for Christmas and just playing on the boat! I’m going to call the folks in MI to see what they would charge to bring down. Either way that would save me over 5k in my quick estimation. Again much appreciated!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should be able to get shipped for $1 per mile. You should not have to pay more than $1.5.

If you are getting numbers above those figures please let me know and I will try to help

Tb FTL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Appreciate that number Betik. Will see what we can come up with and let you know if we get silly numbers back..

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I went to my local Toyota dealer with internet numbers on my new 4Runner and they matched them. He said he would not on a 2019 but would on a 18, new ones are coming out. The season is over for boating and the 19s will be out. Any up north will be cheaper in the spring and they will not sell until then except for large discounts.You can be fair and tell him it will cost you a grand to ship it down and you will give him that on top of the advertised price. It pays to offer it to them Incase you need them for service or warranty.
Just my $.02

Tb FTL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's solid advice Liveto99. Appreciate the 2 cents. I recently bought 2018 cement gray Tundra and had done about the same as you. I still feel like I got the short end of the stick when sitting with the finance guy. Needed the truck but fighting over $800 for helium in the contract about did us in! Don't want the same on a toy especially. Anyways, sent the MI listing link to the local dealer and told him 1k to ship to me where this started (as he followed up with me) and he said, "Wow, what a deal - just make sure they don't tack on a bunch extras." I've asked the fellow in MI to put in writing the out the door price and now he wants to chat about stuff first... Calling him shortly. I'm not averse to paying folks their due and making a living but sometimes it just gets a little nuts when all said and done. Thanks again Liveto99!

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You should be able to get shipped for $1 per mile. You should not have to pay more than $1.5.

If you are getting numbers above those figures please let me know and I will try to help
I saw this thread, and was wondering what advice you might offer for shipping 24 fter from the Dallas area to NC. About 1000 miles. A dollar a mile seems very reasonable. I dont know what the costs of a tow away service vs flatbedding the boat on the trailer would be, but if you can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I saw this thread, and was wondering what advice you might offer for shipping 24 fter from the Dallas area to NC. About 1000 miles. A dollar a mile seems very reasonable. I dont know what the costs of a tow away service vs flatbedding the boat on the trailer would be, but if you can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
I used UShip to get mine moved from Chicago to Raleigh. Paid just over $1 a mile. @Betik - any insight?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@granpachuck it is depends on what is important for you, but I will tell you what I think.

If the boat has a road worthy trailer there is no need to put it on a flatbed. The only benefit is that you might avoid any damage from road debris. As long the boat is being towed on an interstate, the chance of damage is rather low. Depending on the type of flatbed, it might be safer, but most providers by "flatbed" they mean flatbed trailer. I can go in more details if you like, but if my own sx240 had to be transported, I will chose towing over flatbet even if the price was the same.

In regard to price a flatbed transport is $0.50 more than towing. That typically involves flatbet trailer. For an 18 wheeler or a vehicle with build bed, you are looking easily at $1.0 more per mile than towing.

Under the assumption that you the trailer is road worthy I would do the following: List the shipment on uship and give it time.
So let me explain how uship works. For the most part uship is like Uber for items not humans.

Uship will charge a booking fee to you ( customer) and a 20% fee to the carrier ( whoever will be transporting your boat). The key to uship is to wait until you get lucky. What do I mean by that. The lowest bid you will get is from hotshots. If someone is NC has just dropped something in Dallas and they are going back home, they will be willing to real low on price because they will need to come back anyway. So if you list the boat for shipment and you give carriers a flexibility on the pick up and delivery window, you will get a decent price. It you get anything less than $0.75 per miles, then please be careful. It is either start up guy or you got REAL lucky. I would also take the time read their reviews and ask questions. You will be able to tell from the tone if you are comfortable with them or not.

If you future boat is in the Dallas area, just drop me a PM and I will gladly go take a look at the trailer( and boat) and tell you if this road worthy or not.

If you end up buying the boat and you cannot find someone on uship that you are happy with. I can always get my dad and bring your boat during a weekend.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used UShip to get mine moved from Chicago to Raleigh. Paid just over $1 a mile. @Betik - any insight?
@Julian I wish you had told me earlier. There are highly unethical ways to reduce the price on uship and I am Greek. ;)
Uship charges the carriers a 20% fee and you the customer do not necessarily see that because you pay a booking fee. Unless you paid more than $1.5 per mile you did not get ripped off.

Just as a reference to get a $40,000 truck to tow a 24 footer and then return home empty it costs anywhere from $0.94 to $0.70 (for a 100K mile to 200K mile depreciation schedule). This is just fuel, wear and tear. No hotels or food or money in the pocket or paying taxes after that.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I wish you had told me earlier. There are highly unethical ways to reduce the price on uship and I am Greek. ;)
Uship charges the carriers a 20% fee and you the customer do not necessarily see that because you pay a booking fee. Unless you paid more than $1.5 per mile you did not get ripped off.

Just as a reference to get a $40,000 truck to tow a 24 footer and then return home empty it costs anywhere from $0.94 to $0.70 (for a 100K mile to 200K mile depreciation schedule). This is just fuel, wear and tear. No hotels or food or money in the pocket or paying taxes after that.
I paid $1000 for the boat to go 865 miles.....towed (not on a flat bed). Seemed reasonable to me, and at the time (9 years ago) I was in a rush and didn't have any time to shop around!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
oh 9 year ago I could have not helped. It sounded to me that you just another boat recently LOL

yes 1000 on 865 miles is good ;)

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome responses, thank you. I have a user name on Uship, so I will follow your advice. Thanks for the offer to look at a trailer, I think that may save me a trip ! I buck a mile , or so, sounds better than me going down and back.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome responses, thank you. I have a user name on Uship, so I will follow your advice. Thanks for the offer to look at a trailer, I think that may save me a trip ! I buck a mile , or so, sounds better than me going down and back.
Forum members have been very helpfull for me in the past, so I feel obligated to help. In all honesty, you are looking at $0.75 just on depreciation on your own truck, so it is not that bad.

We are staying home for thanksgiving, so feel free to let me know if you want me to swing by the boat.

Note: if you were thinking to potentially make a drive yourself to pick up, you might want to consider splitting the route. It will still cost you $1, and it will be a day trip for both you and the person picking up in Dallas.

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That is a great idea. I think I would feel better doing that actually. Thanks again,