• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help Please- Drone Shopping

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
NEVER PUT IN SPORT MODE.
I assume sport mode turns off collision avoidance? Does it do anything else?
I have not flown my DJI drones in a while but as I recall sport mode is the only way I could get the Mavic to go fast enough to almost keep up with my boat at WOT.
I'm not going to be racing away from my drone in my boat anytime soon! It was serious pucker factor just flying my Karma around the Sapona - not moving - anchored - knowing if it did a return to home, my boat might not be under it when it returned :oops::wideyed::nailbiting::jawdrop:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I still like my Mavic Pro (original). I edited some files a couple years ago and made it go faster. You could remove no fly zones if you were so inclined. It would be nice to have a higher resolution camera but it’s good enough for my occasional use.

That said the new FPV drone is really tempting.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian I don’t think you would be racing away from your drone but if the new Mavic is like the original one, you will have to use sport mode to keep up with your boat whether the drone is flying in front of, behind or on the side of the boat. You may not be trying to get that kind of footage often but when you do there is no alternative to using sport mode flying free hand (no programmed in routines or follow me/track me).

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It also ups the gain of the control sensitivity and increases the Max speed to 40MPH.
But the auto follow features are great.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It also ups the gain of the control sensitivity and increases the Max speed to 40MPH.
But the auto follow features are great.
When the drone is in auto follow mode, can you over ride it with manual controls and still have it keep following?

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When the drone is in auto follow mode, can you over ride it with manual controls and still have it keep following?
When it is in auto follow mode you can make some adjustments to it like elevation and rotation, but if you try to override it, it will cancel that mode and you will have to re-set it. There are a few different auto follow modes.
My best advice is to find a big field and spend a day getting used to all the modes and how to adjust them while its following you walking around. Do this a few times before you take it out on the boat.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
One very good use of sport mode is when you are trying to return and encounter a strong headwind, if you do it in normal mode your drone could be crawling back cause of the wind and you could run out of battery before it gets back. Using sport mode, it has more chance to overcome the wind and get it back you before your battery runs out. Other than that it just make the drone fast by allowing it to tilt more for speed.

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
finally got my pre-order turned into an order for the skydio2, hopefully see it next week.

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure if anyone of you ever picked up a Skydio - turns out to be an appreciating asset. its worth twice what i paid for it on Ebay and their own website went up 75%.

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a Mavic Air I've been meaning to put for sale if anyone is interested.