• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

HELP PLZ... HOW MUCH MORE AMP ??

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I THINK... I'm about ready to start the install process.
QUESTION FOR THE AUDIO-PHILES HERE...

FUSION RA70NSX
4 - JL M3 7.7's
2 - Fusion 6"
4 - CHEAP ROCKVILLE 8" 300w tower speakers
2 - stock junky 5" or 6"speakers down in the cabin
Fusion SG-DA41400 AMP
  • 4-channel marine amplifier
  • 150 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
  • 220 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
  • 440 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms bridged
  • peak power: 1400 watts

How much more AMP will I need ?

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have 3 amps and its still not enough! LOL Its close....and I think adding another sub in parallel may get me where I want to be.

Polk 4 channel PAD 4000.4
Polk 5 Channel PAD 5000.5
Wetsounds 4 Channel - HTX-4

Driving 13 speakers - 12 6" full range -mix of Polk and JL, and one 10 in Polk sub.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We need more info about what you're doing.

Why are you mixing four different speaker brands? For the most consistent soundfield you want to keep them the same brand.

What is it you're trying to accomplish sound wise? You have six "junky" speakers with six good speakers and one good 4-ch amp. Are you replacing any speakers or hoping to use all of them? What's the goal?

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My goal is better sound, with a platform that can be added to or easily upgraded when $$ allows.
Rather not just disconnect the cabin speakers completely but that is an option for now. I also wanted to hear the 6" Fusions before upgrading the cabin speakers. I have limited space in the cabin for larger speakers.
The Tower speakers were a bit of an impulse purchase, just to get "more" sound without spending $1500/$3000 on JL 8.8's.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My goal is better sound, with a platform that can be added to or easily upgraded when $$ allows.
Upgrading is easy if all you need to do is install another amp and speakers.
Rather not just disconnect the cabin speakers completely but that is an option for now. I also wanted to hear the 6" Fusions before upgrading the cabin speakers. I have limited space in the cabin for larger speakers.
The Fusion should sound good - if they will be the only speakers in the cabin, then using different brands is fine as they'll be somewhat separated from the rest of the deck speakers. I'd say go ahead and swap out the stock with the Fusions.
The Tower speakers were a bit of an impulse purchase, just to get "more" sound without spending $1500/$3000 on JL 8.8's.
You get what you pay for - $125 tower speakers will not sound good. Once you hear the JL speakers, you likely won't want those Rockvilles.

If you're following a budget, I'd say return the Rockvilles and wait to buy JL towers. Keep the Fusion 6" to replace the stock cabins and drive them off the head unit. It won't be as loud off the head unit, but it'll sound decent in the cabin. Keep the JL 7.7's to put in the deck area with the Fusion amp driving the four JL's. Later on buy JL towers and another suitable amp to power them.

Or you could run the JL's in parallel of ch1&2 and run the Fusion's of ch3&4. Careful with the power into the Fusion's and they'll thump nicely in the cabin. Then later on buy the towers and amp as needed.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I'm very much a novice,as it shows.
I had you right up until the last bit... "in parallel" ???
So, I can drive the 6's off the head unit and drive the (4) 7.7's off the amp ?
I'm still unsure if I can squeeze the 6's up in my hard-top , they mayyyy fit.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I had you right up until the last bit... "in parallel" ???
You can wire speakers direct per channel or if the amplifier supports it like yours does, you can wire them in parallel which combines two speakers on one channel and the amplifier will push more power to drive them. Typical car/boat speakers are 4 ohms and if you combine them in parallel you will produce a 2 ohms load to the amplifier. That's why you see amp ratings with 4 ohm and 2 ohm ratings. Do a google search for "parallel wiring car speakers" and you'll find lots of descriptions, pics, and videos about it - it's not hard at all once you know how it's done. Car and marine wiring is done the same way - marine rated components are made for damp environments and marine speakers can be splashed without harm.
So, I can drive the 6's off the head unit and drive the (4) 7.7's off the amp ?
Yes it'll work fine. It's preferred to drive off the amp though as it will have a lot more "oomph" to get the speakers pumping. If you just want some sound in the cabin, then the head unit will be fine and the amp can drive the 7.7's. Another amp and speakers are easy to add later if you want. Those 4 JL's will pump with that amp and they have very good sound...you won't be disappointed with them.
I'm still unsure if I can squeeze the 6's up in my hard-top , they mayyyy fit.
If not, see if they're maybe 5.25 inch. You can measure the hole size when the speaker is out and screw placement to figure out the size you need. Most common sizes are 5.25 & 6.5 inch.