• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

@Help - Time crunch on possible boat purchase

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to use the @HELP feature but my brother (who isn’t on this forum) but I share our boat with, is helping his neighbor trying to become a fellow jet boater.

Long story short, they went and looked at a 2012 AR240 today. It’s def a bit more beat up than they expected. On the hull there are some decent marks, some showing fiberglass. The fiberglass exposed areas didn’t seem soft, just exposed. He rates the hull at a 5 out of 10.

The boat has also clearly been used in salt water which the seller didn’t mention (lives prolly 2/3 hours from the coast. Some areas are etched like the steering column and on the engines. Rust spots on the typical areas of a sea boat as well.

The major issue which is why I called help is the starboard engine killed out twice when the owner hammered the throttles. Not puttered out, but as if you pulled the kill switch. The quickly cranked the engine back on and she fired right up again. This happened 2 out of the 5 times they “hammered it”. When both engines were going she ran like a dream. LOTS of power, good rpms.

So right now they are at lunch to discuss wha to do. The issue is, the boat is priced really well at 25k. Hard to determine if they are buying a 25k problem boat or a 25k boat that just needs a little money and love?

Any input on the engine killing out? Walk away? Or if you could get the seller down to 23k or less is there a “this too good of price” to walk away?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like clean out hatch kill switches aren't set right, or the hatch itself wasn't latched....

Did you get all the way under the boat to look at the keel? Hull with fiberglass showing would worry me...I'd be pouring all over that hull for damage...

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It could be something as simple as what @Julian said, or it could be one of those issues you could chase forever.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good call on the kill switch. The latches were a little tough to work with. It’s very possible that that corner that wasn’t all the way down and it was barely holding the kill switch . The vibration would definitely cause that to kill out.

This boat wasn’t babied by any means. The gouges on the keel are from the trailer which doesn’t fit the boat properly. It’s been beached to few times. Salt water corrosion in certain spots. These are super tough boats so I’m sure anything can be fixed. It’s just the unknown of salt and electrical and . Tough call. Again this boat is about $10,000 under what a 240 goes for. Thanks for the input.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The trailer is worth close to $3K.
So $20k for that boat it might be worth the gamble. I would double check everything. Sounds like the seller was sloppy. If he neglected the hull, did he also neglected to change the oil every year !!!

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, you never know! Part of me (well them) are hoping that it was a neglected boat that need a good home at a good price. But I think their gut instinct is to walk away.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a firm believer that if appearance is neglected than mechanically it was also. You can see when someone takes pride in a possession and is well cared for.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would suggest another test drive with a nickel over the rear hatch switch to confirm it's the switch. If he is willing to have the boat as is for a 10K discount, it might be worth it. (Assuming mechanically the boat survived this less than optimal care)

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a good looking boat in the pics. I'm willing to bet it's the safety switches in the clean out hatch that is causing the engine to quit. If everything else is just cosmetic then negotiate a little and take it. Like what's been said already, go over every inch of it. Maybe do an oil analysis if you are serious. If they aren't getting the warm and fuzzies then they should just keep shopping. The market is fixing to blow up with used boats being that it's the end of the season for a lot of people.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So true... and the fact that he really didn’t mention any of the issues before them getting there means he hoped you would just graze over them.

Thanks for all the input guys, hands down the best forum I’ve been apart of! I’ll let you know if they walk.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably a smart move. There will be more boats. Better off trying to buy from a member here if possible

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I think so. I think a 240 is bit too big for him as well. It’s just he and his wife, I think we need to narrow the search to a 19’ or 21’ max.

Buying one off here I’d feel much better about it.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good decision. Sounds like too much was neglected. Some very minor things, say for instance a surface blemish on the tower from a wakeboard are just not worth fixing. That said fiberglass/electrical/mechanical issues of any kind usually go deeper and are not a good sign.

Someday when I sell my boat the next owner will get a usb stick will all records that I keep. As those who are familiar with me might imagine these records are insanely detailed down to the mundane receipts for service and detailing consumables. This level of documentation should not be expected with most boats out there but at least a good idea the work was done right and kept up on helps. A used boat like that will be at the top of the price range for similar boats but will save time and money in the long run.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hahah, @Mainah when you go to sell your boat there will be a heck of a bidding war on here with the care you put into your boat but the COOL addons you’ve done.

If I’m the lucky guy to buy your boat, all I ask is you leave enough beer in the keg for a celebratory beer!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hahah, @Mainah when you go to sell your boat there will be a heck of a bidding war on here with the care you put into your boat but the COOL addons you’ve done.

If I’m the lucky guy to buy your boat, all I ask is you leave enough beer in the keg for a celebratory beer!
If you buy @Mainah's boat you better get his operator's manual to explain how to use all his fancy upgrades.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As Mainah said....I second that detail. Down to each and every non eth gas receipt too! Great decision to walk from that POS. Thee was a reason it was underpriced. You saved yourself a headache. Be patient, you can get a gem on here for what you were going to spend.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You know there is a 2019 190 for sale in the forum right ....