• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Here it is ANOTHER subwoofer question?

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I just got 2 of these IB subs installed. And without a doubt if they are powered right THEY ROCK. Next time I get a day off ill have pics and possibly a video for everyone here !!

Ryan Vogels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have my sub in the storage compartments between the cockpit and the swim platform. I preferred to have mine out of sight. I am running 1 12" sub and it is pretty loud. The sub only called for a .8 cu ft. box if it were sealed. So I could fit it in there quite easily without taking up to much space.

Gieger, how much time do you get out of one battery while sitting? I am running the same alpine amp, and a clarion for the other speakers. I haven't had the boat out on the water yet. The system in my last boat lasted a long long time. But, that was only one older Rockford amp for the sub. The other speakers were pushed by the deck.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Ryan Vogels one of the cool features of this site is the tagging feature. You will get much quicker responses using it! For instance when you directed a question @geiger41 above.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No clue YET, I put my boat in the water a couple days ago for the first time. Then put it on the lift. When I do go out and useit (Maybe this weekend) I will let you know

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found some info and decided to share. Sounds like with IB's the bigger the better, DUH I mean, anyone knows that about anything!

7) How many drivers should I use?

This is a difficult question to answer accurately given the variables involved. To error on the side of safety, we recommend using at least double or more the Sd of that needed by a box sub used in the same room. In a small room 2-15"s should be adequate. For larger spaces or for high output, multiple 12"s, 15"s or even 18"s are desirable. People should understand the IB bass is much different than the bass from a standard 'box/tube' sub. Because of that, we recommend use of more drivers than one would normally associate with a 'normal' box sub. Please note, the primary function of using significantly more drivers is to maintain extremely low distortion and protect the drivers, not to create insanely high SPLs.

7a) Why do I need more drivers in an IB than a standard box sub?

The enclosure (for a small sealed box) functions as an acoustic high-pass filter. That acoustic filter acts to protect the driver from over excursion at lower frequencies because it rolls of the output as the frequencies go lower. Since an IB has no 'box' per say, it doesn't benefit from the protection from the acoustic filter. This lack of protection from the acoustic filter also means that an IB easier to drive at lower frequencies. As a result it's easier to hit the limits of the suspension because IB subs play so low.

8) Won't the drivers be damaged since they're not mounted in a box?

The output of IB subs is limited by the suspension travel of the driver/drivers. And they will reach the excursion limits of the suspension before reaching the thermal limits of voice coil. As a result it's a good idea to use larger drivers, or more drivers than are normally used for a standard 'box' sub.

One example of how this effects a driver is the Parts Express IB woofer. It has a 'normal' VC thermal rating of 350 watts. PE however 'de-rates' the power handling to 140 watts, when the driver is mounted in an IB. This is to protect the suspension and keep the VC from bottoming.

It is a good idea to keep this 'de-rating' guide line in mind, when choosing the drivers. When possible check with the manufacturer if you have questions about using one of their drivers in an IB.

this information is for home audio equipment....although some of it does apply to our world it is not exactly the same....

although the main point of more surface area=better will always stand true ;)

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@David Analog per your experience with our boats, would you use an IB sub or would u surface mount the sub and build the box behind it?

I'm looking to get everything finished up this year and haven't quite decided what I'm going to do....if IB, would you go with JL or Wetsounds?

Thanks!!!

to the OP, in our use and the way things work inside the compartments of the boat it is best to have the sub surface mounted, that way there is nothing "blocking" the sound...hopefully David will be able to give us input as to which will work best....he's had way more experience w/boats than i could ever dream of!!!

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Ryan Vogels would recommend having an enclosed sub? My installer wants to do an enclosed 10" in front of the driver in the compartment. I am afraid it will limit the sound. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ryan Vogels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you looking to make other boats shake, or are looking for good sound? I am happy with sound i get. It can be loud if i want it too be. I mounted the box to the boat to prevent it from sliding and so that it resonates through the hull.

I am sure IB subs sound good. I just dont want it exposed, nor did i want a hole in the fiberglass. Putting it where you are thinking should prevent the need for a marine grade sub. Not sure if you are on a budget, but that would save some $.

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No budget I just want good quality sound. I wouldn't mind a little shake if I turned it up but I dont want to rock the cove either.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rather than cut a huge hole in the boat, I installed a couple of Infinity Basslink 200-Watt, Dual 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer System subs in the area under the forward seats/helm. They worked so well that I ultimately took one out - if I cranked it up, the boat registered on the Richter Scale and killed small fish around the boat.

x108BASSLiN-F.jpg

Helipilot11

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok that makes me feel a little better. I did not want to cut any holes in the boat

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used a wetsounds powered 10" sub. It comes complete with nice amp and heavy duty marine box. I mounted towards the rear of the boat behind the cooler. It was easy to install and no holes in the boat. I have not worked up the courage to cut big holes in my new boat.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It sounds great. However I made a mistake and tuned it with the seat cushion removed. I installed it with the sub facing toward the front of the boat. This put all the adjustments out of reach. Once I put the seat cushion on I quickly realized my mistake. Bottom line is tune with the cushion in place it does make a difference. It also comes with a wired volume control. Wetsounds makes great products. I have their 6 channel amp powering the factory Polk audio speakers. I will have the boat out of storage this weekend and can post pictures if you need them.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I did mine just 2 weeks ago

Here is how I did it

I cut the new sub into the wall on the back seat

I installed a 3/4 MDF ring behind it for support. I also fiber glassed the ring to help seal it from moisture

Here is the sub mounted in its location

I also finished wiring up all the new switches for the docking light, under water light and interior led lights. LOTS of wire running everywhere used about a roll of 3m tape and a bag of zip ties
I finished mounting my amp and tuning the new 100% JL sound system. Holy cow does it rock. Might need a second battery :)

My mom the great seamstress she is made me some custom speaker bags for my tower speakers. I am going to try to put the ar230 logo on it but I am having a hard time drawing it. But hey I have time :)

Finally I put in a remote gain for the sub and installed my new Garlick seat post so I can see over the wind shield with out the bolster
Am I the only one who can no longer see the images in this post?

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
In the storage compartment. 2 DB Drive 2000 watt subs in their own box. 2800 dB drive amp. Sounds pretty good. Didn't want to cut holes in the boat. Bass you can hear and feel.20160720_180532.jpg

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just got 2 of these IB subs installed. And without a doubt if they are powered right THEY ROCK. Next time I get a day off ill have pics and possibly a video for everyone here !!
I know this is old, but what amp are you using? Also, do you know what crossover settings you are running?