• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hi, from Orange County NY

sys1mxb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hello everyone. new here and new to boating. Looking to purchase my first boat. I'm been researching on the internet and at this time leaning towards a Yamaha jet boat like an SX190. Dont like the look of not having the passenger captains chair as in the AR190. MAybe I will think different once Im finally in these 2 boats.

Reason for 19 Yamaha is that I would trailer the boat to launch. There is a launch 10 min from my house. From my limited research the Yamaha motor seems reliable and would help with cost of ownership. Plus I would do the regular maint and winterizing myself and storage in my own yard.

Anyone on here in my area with this type of boat on the hudson river? Some people tell me 19 foot would not be good on the river. Will heading down to Stony Point this weekend to look at the Yamaha boats, also anyone have experience with the dealer down in Stony Point? Will most likely wait to purchase a boat at boat show in Jan.

If anyone has any comments or opinions I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard, do you have any choppers?

sys1mxb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
no choppers...just an ATV

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My perspective is that the 190 series handles rough water better than most 19' boats that were not designed for the ocean. We have 19 footers cross to Bimini Bahamas every year where they do a good job but are not as comfortable as the larger Yamahas. They also struggle when heavily loaded.

What is your towing situation? Do you need to stay under a certain weight or size?

Generally I advise everyone to buy your second boat first. I would buy a nice used twin engine boat for similar cost. Many buy new 190s then upgrade at a loss a year or two later.

sys1mxb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hi, yeah Im hoping the boat shop can provide me with a test ride. I will be towing with a Toyota Tacoma, 6 cylinder.

kstrd23

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Hi, yeah Im hoping the boat shop can provide me with a test ride. I will be towing with a Toyota Tacoma, 6 cylinder.
I'd strongly recommend listening to what Bruce said. I wish I took his advice a couple years ago. I have a '15 AR192. It is a great boat if you only have a few people on board in calm water. I'm in the Barnegat bay and it's always choppy. It bounces around a lot and water is almost always spraying over the bow since it's so low to the water. I am happy though with the performance of the supercharged engine that comes in the 192 (or current 195). My buddy has a new sx240 and it's night and day better in every aspect. Especially if you have kids, and want an on board potty. I also have a v6 Tacoma and I brought my buddies 240 home from an hour and a half away. Handles it witg no problems. Good luck!